Home General Discussion

Megascans in a portfolio?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
I'm wondering if it's professional to use Megascans in an environment art portfolio? It looks mind blowing but kinda seems lazy to me, and I'd rather show that I've gone to some effort in my work. What's everyone else's opinion on this? Are Megascans ok if you want to get hired? Would it look unprofessional to a company?

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    This isn't exclusive to megascans,
    This title should be more of.. 

Is it okay to put premade 3d models in your portofolio?

In my honest opinion, no it's not okay
    it's kind of stupid when you think about it
    for the same reason I don't think turning your render into a photomanipulation isn't a very good strategy
    Why?
    It's not practical.

If you are showcasing your skill as a level designer then it's okay
    if you are showcasing your skill as a environment artist.. well.. it's sort of your job to make those nice rocks
    you are telling your potential boss that you dont have the skills to make the rocks yourself

But for texturing? oh it's no big deal I pressume.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I'd just make sure your portfolio conveys that you know a photogrammetry workflow and are comfortable incorporating it into your work.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think it depends on what skills you want to sell, and what do the employers look for.

Because, remember, scene dressing is still a thing. And someone who makes the scene look really nice using only existing assets can still make a lot of difference.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    are you trying to get a job as a level designer or an environment artist? a level designer would probably get away with it, an environment artist would be burned at the stake.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    If you have other production or pre-production related workflows demonstrated in your portfolio, having photogrammetry would add to it.

However, having ONLY photogrammetry is useless. It does not convey your uses in game development, as it is only one of many steps to get something functional in game.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    as long as you state that you used megascans for ground etc there should be no problem, but I don't think there is much point in creating a tileable texture with only premade megascan textures and scans and put it into your portfolio, however if you get your own stuff into the megascan system that changes things.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd say use them in the background and supplement them with your own assets (maybe 20% of the content). No one is going to care or notice that some of the rocks in the background are from mega scan, and it would be good practice to make assets that match the look of photogrammetry. But if the only foliage you have in a scene is the mega scan ferns and clovers, it's going to stand out. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this really depends on usage.

Are you taking megascans content, slapping it in a scene, and presenting it in your portfolio as if you made it from scratch? I wouldn't do that.

Are you using megascan materials in the authoring pipeline to create materials for content you did create from scratch? A lot of people have been doing this with Quixel dDo already, and I can't see how it would be frowned upon. Again, I wouldn't slap some megascan content on my models and call them done, but using megascan content in the texturing workflow the same way we have been using resources like cgtextures for the past decade or so, I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with that.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    using megascan content in the texturing workflow the same way we have been using resources like cgtextures for the past decade or so, I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with that.
    Yea, I saw Megascans as the new CGTextures for this generation, making big worlds takes a lot of work. On a production environment i wouldn't mind using them as the end result is what counts.

Portfolio wise, if you end up using them in a smart way to create something unique I don't see any problem. If you are building like a fantasy world environment, Megascans won't be enough to achieve that.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, where are my giant Telvanni mushroom manse scans?

If your portfolio is simple enough to only be made with Megascans and nothing else, you probably could use a more interesting portfolio.
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for all the replies. It's pretty much as I thought, the general consensus being either don't use them, or if you do then very sparingly. I probably won't even touch them to be honest, as I agree with some of the replies that, as an environment artist, you should be putting the effort in to create this kind of stuff yourself. Still, it's great to hear people's thoughts about it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm wouldn't say don't use it, but it shouldn't be the focus, I will probably use some in future environments
    or small environments for asset presentation etc, no harm done, just fill in that you used megascans. 

You can see some really nice renders on artstation etc that is created in megascans, no one would take that as a piece showcasing the artists modeling/sculpting and texture skills, but he is able to show his lighting and presentation skills, and he has clearly written that it was made using megascans. 

so it's all about how you present it and what the focus is.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Isn't a big part of a environment artists portfolio to show that he can MAKE the assets?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 said:
    Isn't a big part of a environment artists portfolio to show that he can MAKE the assets?
    Well It's also about being able to use the tools available to you to finish your work in a fast and satisfactory way.
    Not often or probably never are you gonna have to create every little branch in an environment you are in charge of.
    I think if you can create stuff that fit in with the megascans assets and textures then you have already shown skill.
    seen more then a few examples where artists have put their stuff inside a megascans created environment and it didn't fit in at all.
    Either the style of the assets didn't fit or they didn't reach the level of quality of the megascans assets and it stood out.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    loggie24 said:
    Well It's also about being able to use the tools available to you to finish your work in a fast and satisfactory way.
    Not often or probably never are you gonna have to create every little branch in an environment you are in charge of.
    I think if you can create stuff that fit in with the megascans assets and textures then you have already shown skill.
    seen more then a few examples where artists have put their stuff inside a megascans created environment and it didn't fit in at all.
    Either the style of the assets didn't fit or they didn't reach the level of quality of the megascans assets and it stood out.
    No one is arguing that it can't be used at  all, but rather exclusively which i think we can all agree in isn't a good idea.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 said:
    loggie24 said:
    No one is arguing that it can't be used at  all, but rather exclusively which i think we can all agree in isn't a good idea.
    Yeah, but that as well is also up to what you want to show with your work, if it's to show off lighting, presentation or level placement design skills, that would work as well, as long as it's presented as such.

Kinda like an animator wouldn't be blamed for not using his own models when showcasing his animation skills.
    But yeah it's very possible that some people will create a ground texture with a couple of mushrooms and branches, call it done and 
    present it as an environment they did from scratch, then yeah that's not right.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    In my opinion I would suggest you don't do it. Because not every company will be using MegaScans, you need to be able to create your own good looking materials. I'm not saying that in production you will always use your own textures, not at all but even so you need to be able to show that you can do it.

I think it's totally fine however to compile scanned heightmap data, like leaves, rocks etc, feed it into substance designer and get your own texture out of it etc. It's not that different grabbing things from photo-sources.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    if someone has 3-4 solid environments in their portfolio demonstrating they know how to create environment art from the A to Z workflow, then having a couple 100% megascans enviros wouldn't really bother me. You can build out an environment very quickly with them and what is going to seperate a good megascans environment from a super amateur one is having already delevoped they eye for composition, lighting and realistic proportions and details.

If someone is already an solid artist, then why not spend a weekend and bang out some awesome looking art. I never really frown on using pre-made art, it happens 99% of the time in production anyways. especially if you are a "level artist" aka set dresser. In that case you are always placing pre-made props and art and its the composition and creating a believable space that matters.

As I have said before, it comes down to demonstrating your value as an artist to a company. As long as you are upfront about what you created and can clearly demonstrate a great skillset for the position you are targeting then how you get there is largely irrelevant once you have the overall environment creation process down. there is no need to create 100% of everything all the time, infact, the smartest people in business and production usually take advantage of a good base or jumping off point to build upon. As long as you are confident in yourself and your abilities then go for it.

• spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Im with PixelMasher on this one, its all perspective and context. If you have pieces that already showcase your skill level, why not explore with megascan stuff. Theres more to game production than modeling and slapping a texture on it. You can showcase composition, level design, lighting and so much more. You can also test out some new ideas for tech art if you wanted. Just make sure you say in bold letters 'all art was provided by megascans'. 

Some studios who want to hire you for a remote contract will see your familiarity with megascans as a positive, not a negative. Instead of hiring you to make the art for X amount of money, they can get a subscription to Megascans themselves, pay you much less to build a level or cook the assets to their preferences. Just make art, and try not to deceive anyone. You should come as advertised.

If you were looking for a full time in house position however, id probably hold off on doing it. It wont help you very much, likely just confuse things, and you want to show work thats done 100% by you. 
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    if you are going for a scan manipulator position knock yourself out. Otherwise, keep that content light and let things that you have made be the star of the show. You could even make a case that having super cool scanned, blended floor tiles in your folio could make your own work look worse by comparison than it actually is.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    One of the things I wanted to use it for was to create a ground texture, but I too wondered if that'd be too dishonest for a portfolio piece. Leaves, grass and what not I could probably do with substance, but a convincing ground is difficult. Any thoughts on that?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could always use mega scans as a reference for making a good Substance material. 
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I personally feel you should always avoid using pre created assets for your personal projects. Your personal works of art should be YOUR personal art work. Art created and authored by you, not someone else or some straight up photo. Your personal pieces (unless a group colab project) should be attempting to show off what you can do when you are not shackled to the restrictions of a production environment and can just show off the best art you can make.

For a production environment you are limited by many factors and time so using pre created assets is not only ok, its the only way to get the job done. Almost no one can claim 100% ownership of any given environment they work on (unless its a super small indie game). Almost every game and studio has multiple people helping out in various ways to bring a level to life. So you are bound to use assets you didnt create which is fine. A game is not about your personal art or to show off your best artistic ability as its still a game and there are many more moving parts to a game than just art.
  • Heath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heath null
    I just wanted to point out, that there are a lot of us out here that don't work in the game or entertainment industries.  We work for engineering firms, manufactures, and architectural firms.  We mainly produce images for technical publications, product visualizations, and marketing materials.

If someone shows me a portfolio full of pre-made assets in the scenes, I don't care one bit.  I'm focused on the main product, and if the overall image shows off that product well.

For me, in an engineering and manufacturing company in the oil industry,  I need people that can accurately model equipment down to the nuts and washers from 2D CAD drawings, light it, and produce top quality renders.   A nice looking environment is important for a good looking final product, but how they produce that environment is of very little concern.

As others have said, it's important what you're applying for.  Someone who has the mechanical knowledge to produce an assembled gear box from nothing but a production B.O.M., and a stack of piece-part drawings, is much harder for me to find than someone who can sculpt and texture a tree stump in ZBrush.   So for anyone looking to get into my side of the industry, you're probably safe using whatever you'd like to fill out a scene.

Just some input from another corner of the CG world that people don't seem to think of too often.  :)