Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

Zi0
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Zi0 polycounter
Hey guys, I just finished my first portfolio and I would like to get some feedback. I want to become a hard surface artist and currently I'm looking for an internship.

http://www.zpiasecki.com/

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    The overall presentation is neat but you should finish that arctic base, it looks promising.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    Complete that arctic base with texture and a terrain below  .Your portfolio should show that you work hard and you care about what you make . Your portfolio has a lack of content put some more work  and if everything can be in marmoset viewer or sketchfab viewer that will be really great. 

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    You have a good start! While I like "pop-up" style galleries because they let you view full screen images quickly, yours is just giving me trouble. I can't use my back click to get out of it and I can't even click off of the images to close it. Personally, I just use the gallery feature in blogger, while it doesn't do everything I wish, it does better than most gallery websites while still being easy to update and arrange. I'd think you'd benefit greatly from breakdowns of your work (you do have a couple of wireframes but they look like the triangulated marmoset wireframe. I think showing your true topology from your modeling program is better) but texture maps and info on the images (tri count, map size) are lacking. Like others have said, just keep at it and flesh it out with more awesome work. 
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    List polycount, show UV's, finish Arctic Base(make it dope!), show wires on grenade, Add one more weapon to the quality level of the shotgun and boom I'd say your portfolio would be rock solid. I am no expert (kinda just regurgitating what Gavin Goulden says). Also Sketchfab is a great tool! You can make it look awesome with some tweaking (make lights not follow the camera for one). Your art is great (miles ahead of me) just got to do the boring stuff to prove your art is technically solid! Good luck! Also I know my Artstation follows none of the rules I just listed lol...
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    That arctic base needs some arctic lighting and environment and textures. This should be your hero asset on top. Needs some perspective with the guy standing in front. The Shotgun is okay but the baking is not perfect and its just a gun. Nothing special about it. The grenade could use a texturing rework but I would focus all work on the arctic station because it has a lot more potential to be really amazing.

Edit: just read that your trying to get an internship. It should be ok for intern as it is but better portfolio is always a good thing.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Thank you for the feedback people, I made a list of the things that were mentioned and I'm going to work on it. Thank you for the positive words about the arctic base, I'm not 100% happy with the exterior yet so changes will be made and I'm going to create a whole interior as well. During the last year I learned a lot about hard surface modelling so I'm going to apply these skill to the arctic base now while tweaking my portfolio and applying for internship.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleReeceHall polycounter lvl 11
    Brilliant work, I like how neat your portfolio is as well. You have some solid well done pieces here. 
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Website looks good, for your recent model the remington, texturing leaves little to be desired, but the model is held back by too low of a polycount and too sharp edges. With a bit softer edges -> better bake and a flawless silhouette it would be a very nice piece.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for the dislike of the popup image gallery.  I know its a preference thing, but it frustrated me.  Also imaged took quite a while to load for me for some reason.

I'm perplexed as to why you would have the high poly model for your shotgun on artstation, but not your portfolio.  For a hard surface position, you should be showing that you can do the whole process.  High poly, low poly, bake, textures..include those for all of your hard surface stuff.

Your shotgun is by far your strongest piece imo.  Grenade isn't too bad either.  You should show your high poly model and textures for that as well, though.  Arctic base clearly looks unfinished.  If you decide to only do a high poly for a portfolio piece, that high poly model better be spectacularly good, which I don't think this is.  I'm personally not a fan of the way you have it rendered.  Its overbright, and lighting/materials don't really showcase the forms really well.  Like others said, finish this one, and it could be a better piece.

I don't think you are in too bad of shape for an intern position.  Website wise everything is fairly well laid out.  You could even consider just using your art station as well if you wanted to.  Its quite common for people to only apply with an art station..the past several people we have hired, including our most recent art intern only used art station.  

Keep taking in the feedback, and keep making new pieces and bettering yourself as you go.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    @ Shrike, Thank you for your feedback, the too low polycount do you mean in general or in specific areas? I Agree on the edges being too sharp, currently I'm working on a additional portfolio piece and when I'm done with that one I will revisit the shotgun again.

@ gsokol, Thank you, I will replace the arctic base with a model I'm currently working on and put it back when its in a better shape.

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    More in general, you want the silhouette to look flawless and have no rounded forms looking less than perfect for the view distance you intend to show it
  • Moeren588
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moeren588 polycounter lvl 4
    I think that you have a portfolio that looks really neat. It is clean and it seems that you prefer quality over quantity, which, after reading and listening to loads of tips, is a good thing. I would however make the drop down list from "Portfolio" match the order you are showing stuff on that page; minor stuff, but just some OCD cleanup never hurts :')

Personally I am not a huge fan of having headline tabs take me to other websites. I would rather have links to your artstation and linkedin under the "About me" tab. But as said, this might be just me personally.

Apart from that there are loads of good tips here already, so listen to them too ^^ and it is a good portfolio with some good stuff on it! So good luck with getting that internship! ^^ (in the process myself, it is a bitch with all the applications and waiting)