polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Krycek polycounter lvl 5

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good but i think the Materials are setted up wrong.
    The Cases of Modern Guns are today mostly made out of some kind of Plastics like Polymer or ABS.
    Stock, Handgrip, Magazine, Handguard are Plastics i think and they look like Metall.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tEpBi4SChVY/maxresdefault.jpg
    I would also remove the Dirty a bit and give her a bit more cleaner look.
  • Tim Lewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome looking model. The rear sight and gas block turned out really great!

Gazu's advice is solid. Your materials all seem to have a metallic sheen to them. Try to bring them closer to the reference shot and give some separation to your metals and plastics. The grunge and dirt doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense either. Instead of a uniform dirt pass, try localizing the wear and tear to areas that are going to be handled the most or areas where the gun is going to be leaning on another surface and add dirt build-up to some of the cavities. Also don't forget to stamp the text into the receiver!
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Pretty much what gazu said. Plastic looks more like stone to me.
    Metal isn't too bad, maybe a tiny bit noisy. I'd remove some of the rust/dirt, depending on how clean you want it. Maybe make the material slightly matte, but I'd definitely add some edge wear.
    Plastic needs more definition so as to look like plastic. Maybe a different base texture (less stone/concrete looking one). Scratches on plastic, I usually implemented in the normal map as well (go easy on those - not too deep).

Only thing I notice, model-accurracy-wise, is the flash hider seems to be one piece with the barrel. Other than that, it looks very good - just needs more material definition. =)
  • Krycek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krycek polycounter lvl 5
    Thx for crits, guys! =) I think it will be easier for me to make new textures set instead of fixing this one. 
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    imo, texture and model looks great. Needs a texture tweaking (better contrast with materials)  and a better presentation (lighting, background) The renders making it look really bad when it fact it doesnt look so. Just my 2cs