Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Cargo Spaceship Corridor -- Star Citizen-Inspired

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
Hi Polycount
A while since I posted a proper thread, I think, but I could use some fresh eyes on this. I'm at the stage where I *have* been pretty happy with progress, but now I look at it even after updating some of the props from whitebox I'm not sure what I make of it.

Latest:

More shots and things: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3eXvB

My influences have been Star Citizen (obviously) as well as new Doom and a pinch of No Man's Sky as far as colour choices.

Thanks for looking,

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It looks good overall I think but there is something lacking isn't there?

Do you have any ref? Because my first impression is that it needs depth, not in sense that it needs more space but just more thought behind it.

- What are the Caution signs and warnings actually for? Surely it was there before all the props so it's not warning for the props? If it's cautioning for the grates then it feels like a design flaw of the corridor. Things like this makes the scene feel incoherent. 

I think a good thing would be to take a step back, think about what you're trying to achieve with it? If the purpose is to show off individual props then no prop is interesting enough to capture any attention or looks spectacular up close. If the purpose is to tell a story or make the viewer feel something then it's not well thought out enough, composition-wize, colors and especially meaning behind the scene.

I've mentioned this before but there is an issue of sense of scale here, everything looks equally big and chunky.

If we look at this:
    http://www.scififantasyhorror.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/mateusz-szulik/The-Art-Of-Mateusz-Szulik-08.jpg

It plays with colors, shapes, interactivity, movement (steam) (monitors) It looks futuristic and modern but has some industrial elements to it as well and it's not symmetrical. It also doesn't rely on any props on the floor to make it visually interesting and it has a nice range of big chunky shapes to small interesting detail, all of which gives the viewer space to breath, and not feel like it's over-cluttered.

So for yours it might be a good idea to just remove some things, a re-think some of the wall-detail since you've already got a good base going 

Oh well, sorry for the wall of text and I hope it helped somewhat!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Really nice start man, I agree with Chris' feedback but I think this has so much potential :D A nice focal point would add a huge amount for me. Subbing!
  • Justin Wagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Wagner polycounter lvl 3
    It looks great so far and I agree with all of the previous comments but I would also recommend some more work with lighting.

Sci-fi scenes give the artist an opportunity to play with whatever lights he or she wants. Right now everything is an overall white wash and that is futuristic yet its not appealing in this sense. I would say try to make the lights more dramatic. More lights and shadows. Add some red warning lights and green lights on panels. Maybe have the florescent lights give off a slight teal/green glow. Lighting and shadows will play a huge role in the overall emotion you are trying to evoke.

This image shows off a good light setup for a dramatic space corridor.