Home Technical Talk

Normal Map Camera

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
Have you guys seen this app, and if so how is it? It looks really interesting, I am considering picking it up just to give it a chance. I think its in the google store right now for like 5 bucks.

http://normalmapcamera.com/

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have 2 concerns. How well does it remove lighting from the diffuse/albedo texture? And is it only usable indoors where you can control the lighting?
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I've thought about just taking a camera with a tripod and a bright light and taking multiple photos with the light at different angles to plug into the rgb channels. I don't see why you need an app to put them together though.  
  • dystopianghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    @ZacD
    I am not sure honestly man its only in beta so maybe they will put in something for outdoor instead of just indoor.
    @neilberard
    I don't really see the point of the app either its a really cool idea and for people that don't know how to put of the photos together it would be a big help. I don't know I was reading some of the reviews and most phones are having alot of issues with it anyways . So I think I am going to hold off for a little bit and see if the reviews get any better. I don't want it to end up like most early access games, where the devs get the money then stop making updates for it.

But honestly its a cool idea I was just trying to get more info on it and see if anyone had used it.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hmm....Im curious about their target audience. most people that want to create normal maps have a computer and most likely a bunch of programs on it that does a better job then any app out there can ever create.

and the people that dont, why would they need a normal map in the first place?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Worst about page I have ever seen
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I wonder if it tries to remove the cast shadows or not, in the final map. Because if you're using a light (which casts shadows) to generate each channel of the normal map, that means those shadows will turn up in the normal map, which probably won't give accurate shading. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.