Home General Discussion

Sea of Thieves

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Arrrrgh! All Aboard the next hype boat! 

Here's some live gameplay from Gamescom. This just looks gorgeous even in this early build which looks like a "short demo with sailing and battling" only. This, with VOIP and a few beers (virtual beers as well) is going to be absolutely crazy fun! On top of this, we should also get much more like the Treasure hunting, Skeleton pirates, Sea monsters, etc, etc, etc... Fingers crossed (Please deliver on my expectations!....Please deliver on my expectations!....Please deliver on my expectations!)

Anyway, enjoy.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6JLRUpSj8

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    wow that water looks great.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. the water effect is brilliant and suits the art style even though its more realistic.

One thing I just noticed and haven't got a clue how its done. The ocean outside the ship is huge waves but when the ships are sinking the water inside the ships hull is quite calm, as you'd expect. So they aren't simply lowering the ship into the ocean, which would be the easy way but not so realistic. They must  actually "cull" the ocean inside the ship...If you get me. I'm not a tech artist. Anyway, what ever they arrrgh doing it works brilliantly!
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    THAT WATER = amazing job !

the game looks surprisingely fun to play with friends. Fingers crossed for an eventual playstation release.
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    This looks stunning - Rare always do make beautiful games though! Would love to know how they did the water also, looks really impressive
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 said:
    One thing I just noticed and haven't got a clue how its done...
    I could tell you, but I'd have to make you walk the plank afterwards ;)

Glad you guys like what you've seen so far!  Can't wait until we're allowed to start showing more.

There's some great tech and technical wizardry behind a lot of the disciplines.  The pirate characters especially utilise some really cool technical solutions behind the scenes- they've been a real labour of love for us!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    @FAT_CAP , Game is looking awesome man! The characters are looking amazeballs and it looks like we are going to get quite a bit of customisations for them!

One thing i'd like would be if there was some "slight" class differences, or ways to add little booster skills. Nothing huge or game changing that would need balancing, just small things like some characters are a slightly better at swimming, or firing a cannon, or can hold their Rum more, etc.

Here's a video explaining how the death mechanic might work. A "Beetle Juice waiting room" ghost ship! Sounds very cool and hilarious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if46y_cHfsY

and some more gamplay and chat about whats to come.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXq4SQg7dfU

One question is whether the game will be available in Win7. Currently info only i've found says XBox/Win10 "exclusive". does that mean it'll be available first on those platforms and others later? Anyway. If it is only Win10 i'll be upgrading in advance but it'd be good to know ahead of time. I expect the Beta will only be Win10...so I should probably upgrade anyway if I want any chance of playing that...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks fun :) one technical thing I was wondering was wether big waves are actually effecting the ship? or if the ship is just smoothly gliding through the ocean regardless of wave size or wave direction? there does seem to be some rocking but only on very big swells perhaps?