Home Technical Talk

[Maya LT 2016] Snapping to vertex problems

Autarkis
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone,

I've been running into an extremely frustrating issue with maya as of last week where if I try to snap a mesh to another mesh, instead of snapping to the vertex I choose (snap to vertex mode on, tried it with hotkey and from the toolbar) I get snapped to random points in world space where there is absolutely nothing to snap to (not even a grid point..)
Tried resetting move tool settings, tried playing around with snapping settings in preferences, deleted histories, froze transformation, exported the meshes out as obj and reimported them back in (hoping it might wipe some data in maya that would cause this issue) but it seems to stay no matter what I do (what's even more infuriating is that it will work on some meshes, and not others, or meshes where it used to work it just refuses to now.
Towards the end of last week, I realized that since the meshes are far away from origin (exported to maya using unity asset) moving them back to origin instead of far off in X and Y seemed to have a positive effect, but of course it's Monday and now everything is misbehaving again.
To recap what I tried : Deleting history, freezing transformations, resetting move tool settings, changing snapping in preference, exported to fbx and reimport in new scene, exported to obj and import in new scene, deleting maya preferences, moving meshes to origin (and freezing transformations), about every setting in move tool have been ticked on/off...
I'm at a complete loss ... feels like I'm in hell.. But I'm sure a nice polycounter will tell me how to fix it.. I mean.. I hope?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Couple questions, but may not really help.

What size are your objects? Make a one meter cube and see if your objects are a reasonable scale. Sometimes importing from unity can increase or decrease the size x100. This has the same rounding problems as objects far away from the origin.

Does snapping work in other files, is it just this file giving you problems?
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey monster, the objects are extremely large in a default maya viewport. Forgot to mention I already had a test with scaling objects down to fit down to a maya unit in height and that didn't do anything.
    The weird thing is that some of the objects do snap correctly and once they break in pivoting there's no getting back.
    I can snap primitives to other primitives in scene with no issue, so I don't believe that the snapping is actually completely broken (hence why I exported my meshes out to obj and reimported them back in, I was hoping it would give me a "cleaner" version of those meshes)
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Just gave the 30 day trial of maya 2016 (not lt) a whirl and the snapping issue is non existent. Will contact Autodesk about it.
    Update2: Noticed lt 2017 was out, after a semi confusing chat on how to upgrade 16 to it, got it installed, and snapping is back to working as it should.