Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dice of Crowns - Playmat Painting (Large Images NSFMobile)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
So seeing as the last time I put together a major piece of art for this project I was already too far along with most of it to implement any significant advice. I've got the time and the space to start early this time though. The idea for this is to give players a space to roll the dice on and areas on the mat to place dice and tokens as their turns come and go. I don't personally understand why a table isn't suitable, but I am assured that these things are beloved in the tabletop community, so I'm going to do my best to make this the finest piece I've turned out. People have paid money after all, gotta deliver.

I've got my base sketch done and I'm inking it now.

I'm not especially great at lighting, and this is a piece that's going to succeed or fall flat based on its sense of depth. if anyone has any advice to give, as always I'm listening and ready to implement.

Replies

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inks have been slower than I'd like, but progress is progress. I'm both looking forward to and dreading the painting of this. I still haven't decided what magical crap I'm going to adorn the cloth with beyond the current mandala/compass rose.

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to throw together something slightly more complete looking put up on the pledge manager. It's fast and dirty, but it gets the idea across and it made me realize I need a candle on the skull t balance the lighting, so that should be fun to draw.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All hands on deck! Just a few more things, I'm not super looking forward to clearing out the wrap of coins on the Seredipitress's arm. It's gonna be tedious...

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serendipitress is done. All the outside stuff is done. Now I just need to do up the sigil cloth which promises to be one of the singular memorably repetitious experiences of my life. Line weights could use a pass but this has taken longer than it should as it is. Going to bed on time like an adult is a time devourer and I resent it. 
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Love the line weight so far man.  I'll be following this for sure. What were you thinking for filling in the values?  Something more graphically flat or more rendered?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I've produced for this project so far has been rendered, which I'm not good at or confident about, so I've got my work cut out for me...
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inks are done! Rendering starts tomorrow. I'm thinking of going grayscale and the multiplying a color layer onto that. Anyone have any experience doing that in a way that doesn't feel too subdued?

• Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, what you actually want to do is do a really nice greyscale layer, then set it to luminosity and then put your flat colors behind it and then add hues above the flat colors as a clipping mask and below your greyscale luminosity layer.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was following until you hit "clipping mask". What would that be for? The rest of it I follow. I know the terms and how to apply them. I don't really have a technical knowledge of layer blending modes, so I don't know when to use them to achieve a specific effect outside of say, multiply, screen and overlay. If any of the others get used it's generally because I was mixing and matching and liked what I get out of them. I'm assuming in this case I would be applying the gray scale as luminosity so that it gives the colors below the effect of being lit, right? This get's past the dull look of trying t do the reverse with the colors set to multiply? 
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, the reason why you want to use your greyscale layer as luminosity and have it set to the very top is a luminosity layer will take the values of that layer and apply them to every layer below.  Lets say you have a base layer of 50% midtone grey and want to paint part of it red with a multiply layer.  Doing a full 100% saturated red and multiplying it in will actually take the base value of the color and add that to the value of the grey resulting in something completely darker.  This will take all that time spent on the greyscale layer and keep your values "pure" to what you want instead of muddying them with multiply.

There is a downside to doing it this way and that is, if you're trying to get something super saturated, you're probably not going to get it in 1 pass because if you don't match the local value to the saturated colors value, then that color doesn't possibly exist and because you are hard locking value, saturation takes a hit.  The easiest way to fix this though is to just create a saturation layer set any color with 100% saturation (its only taking this value) and start painting in where you need more saturation with a low opacity brush. 

The part about clipping mask is actually something that can be done a multiple different ways in photoshop, but I chose to use the clipping mask method out of ease of use.  Basically when you're painting you want an easy way to have mask selections so when I paint in colors I basically just box them in with a hard round brush on their own layer.  This allows me to box in with colors that have high contrast (in your case really gawdy blues or purples) to make sure I'm staying within the lines.  I can then use adjust hue saturations (ctrl or cmd U) to change it to the color I need.  Then when ever I want to paint anything varying colors on that piece I set the layer above to clipping mask and it will lock it to just the mask.  There are a lot of other clipping mask tricks but those take a bit more time to explain.  Another great thing about this is you can find the base mask really quickly for the object so say you wanted to pop the hands out in terms of saturation like I described above, you can ctrl or cmd click on the base layer and it'll always give you that mask selection so when you're painting above the luminosity layer you'll still be "in the lines."
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanation and visual. I believe I follow the example pretty well and it should be a big help. The last big piece I did for this project was just straight paint on the canvas and I could never seem to get the colors as rich as I wanted them. The whole thing was a little... Pale would probably be the best word for it. This grayscale with touch ups method should make it easier to get bold brights and darks.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the day watching videos on painting with light sources in mind and trying to drum up a color palette that's more complimentary than monochrome like the last effort.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shades have been started. Following some lighting lessons I've been boning up on. It feels like it's working.

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picking up speed. This whole process of identifying the light source and then tracing it back to an object in space has been really enjoyable.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Friday's update. The Union Rouser in the upper corner needs her contrast punched up. I'll do that tomorrow as I start on the shadow pass.

Ten days until my deadline hits.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man, this is a really solid lighting pass. I'd go over it now with a new multiply layer of 50% black and put in cast shadows and really block in a strong directional light.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saturday's update. Shadows are over intense but they're going to get walked back a bit as I go Part of that darkness is so I can get some magical shit on the sigil to look like it's actually casting a glow once I get around to drawing it. Up next is a 2nd highlight pass, which might be followed up with some actual color work.

Nine days.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monday's update: not a huge change. Started some clean up and got my shading moved to the high res file. I'll be doing a color test tomorrow based on what you walked me through @Greg Westphal.

• Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man, The one thing you're going to have a bit of an issue with is your local value seperation isn't, in your gray scale image at least, very strong.  Usually this is because you don't know what colors or supposed to be where or haven't thought a lot about the local values of colors and its not a problem.  This is going to make some, not all, your colors seem really pastel when you to go paint them, exceptionally the clothes and leather.  The trick I used around this is once you have your color layer and mask and then the black and white layer set to luminosity over it, I select the mask and then above the luminosity layer create another clipping mask with a layer of either a darker or a lighter value and then use something like overlay, multiply or whatnot to just adjust the way the local value of the material should read.  I am just now checking into a hotel so as soon as I grab some chow and stretch out I'll do a quick example using your greyscale. 
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm actually visiting glacier park so I didn't have too long to do this but I spent around an hour total with the process breakdown.  I hope this help explains a bit about what I was mentioning before.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's a fantastic help @Greg Westphal I'm going to try implementing this now!

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tuesday's update. Started on the colors. There's a lot to lay down so I'm not any further on the process you outlined then step three. I'm trying to keep the colors fairly separated which takes more time than I'd like. The magic wand selection is only of so much help thanks to the fact that my line work is as clean as the intake of a sewage treatment plant.

Six days.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thought I'd chime in really fast before I have to head out for the day.  One thing I've learned from following Jae Cheol Park is that you should always lay down a flat color first that will create a base for this reality.  If you want the picture tinted, more or less saturated and even the over all value darker or brighter, put that in first.  When I imagined this piece I figured something really warm and indoors (meaning low atmospheric bounce light or very little blue in the shadows) but also vibrant like the old dungeon and dragon's renders and since its candle lit a bit on the darker end. Thats why I layed down the brown for the table you saw me use. Its pretty saturated for wood and towards the darker part of the value scale.  But this could go any which way and if you want it brighter, with an eerie look (like a graveyard) you could tint the base color towards blue and pull saturation down a lot.  But either way I'd do a big fill layer to start with always just to make sure your colors have something to ground themselves on.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions Greg; you were right, getting some color down on the table really did give the scene a lot more life. I'm aiming for saturated and impressionist if I can accomplish it. My style really doesn't lend itself to impressionism but I really admire it. I hope to be able to just paint stuff like the art from Transistor someday, but for now I'll settle with just building the confidence to push around light and color.  

Wednesday's update Still filling sections in. I'm hoping to have everything filled in by Friday, giving me the weekend to tackle cleanup.

Five days.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whelp I forgot to hit Post Reply so we have a double update tonight.

Thursday's Update: Base colors are done and I'm ready to start messing with the saturations.

Four days.

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saturday's update. I got feedback from the team that the mandala and colors weren't working, and they asked for something a little more aggressive. I ended up taking the opportunity to work in the last two hold out icons from the game: the dagger and crown. I'll be rolling this version back into Clip Studio tomorrow for a final clean up and adjustments pass.

Three days.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I have until Tuesday and you finished in three hours what I've been attempting to accomplish in the last nine. I have two of the straps and the candles done. I'm not a painter, I'm a line artist, and I'm definitely hitting a wall. I'll have today's update posted in a little bit. I might end up having to go with what I have if I can't get this thing a lot further in zero time for my skill level.

Thank you so much for the advice though TeriyakiStyle. I've thrown an orange layer over the top of the scene and it's way more unified now. 

I understand the principals of what I'm doing: laydown color, paint in the hot spots, and add shadows for definition, then clean it up. Knowing it and applying it are proving difficult to sync up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man. I needed that vote of confidence.

Sunday's update. Top set of candles and the straps on the gauntlet. Need to separate the hands from the table top, brighten them up? Something. Not a lot of brainpower right now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm looking these over now. My candle reference at the moment is from the opening of Diablo 3. If you're going to crib do it from the best right.

I actually missed the color theory class in college and looking back there are few thing I regret more. I never even knew what a histogram was before today. If anyone had asked I'd have made a joke about a time travelling photocopier.

What else should I know going forward? Like, how are quick masks done? I know they're used to constrain a form but how do you choose what to constrain? I've got an ocean of potential materials in this image. Where do you start or stop with that. Also everything I work on up close feels great, but once I zoom back out it loses all meaning. How do you fight that? 
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, sorry I've been MIA that past few days but I've been extremely busy.  Just looked over your progress and 2 things to add to what TeriyakiStyle was talking about.  When I did the process thing I showed up a bit on the top I probably didn't illustrate how to push local value well enough with the piece I selected.  What TeriyakiStyle did with threshold and curve was show that a lot of the value separation between objects was getting lost like I was afraid.  Unfortunately, this is the one thing in painting that defines the medium of paint.  Any separation between objects in line art is easy, you add a line.  In paint the separation has to be more subtle and comes through edge control.  The best thing I have ever seen on this topic is http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/04/windmill-principle.html which also adds to the gnomon link that TeriyakiStyle was talking about and thats the quintessential book on painting which is James Gurney's book Color and Light.  

So, that was kind of a long rant but I'll point out the 2 things which I'd watch out for next time.  First is the use of equal portion of high contrast colors.  Purple and yellow fall on opposite sides of the color wheel, are as far apart as can be when looking at the value of a color and when blended produce a very unsavory greyish tone.  Generally speaking, the reason why everyone uses blue and orange for light(golden hour colors) in nearly every piece you'll look at is 1: its natural to our eyes because it occurs a lot in our atmosphere, 2: when blended its a saturated warm brown grey and 3: the values of the colors are close enough that it doesn't mess with local value separation of objects.  If you look at Teriyaki's piece he is using predominantly orange (because its a warm environment) and the metal reflections from atmospheric bounce light are blue.  Also, notice his ratios, very very orange heavy while just a touch of contrast blue.  When its closer to 50/50 like in your piece the colors fight a lot, and I can tell that you decided to just mute all your saturation to minimalize the conflict of colors, but it still feels off.  I found a piece on artstation really fast that shows a bit more harmonious piece with yellows and purples to give an idea of ratios that might work.  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1RvQZ

Second, and this is more of a meta process than execution advice, but always have a reference of color and value before you dive in.  Nearly every pro I've seen do live demos will end up color sampling from an unrelated blurred image that just has the raw pallete they need.  Feng Zhu will often times just dump images into a scene, motion blur them and erase parts out, copy interesting parts and mess with blend layers till he gets a dirty canvas of colors before he starts.  When I was watching James Paick paint in class he would often times do something fairly monochromatic, and then use overlays of pictures or the pattern tool to pump in spots of color.  

When the great master's of old used actual paints they would repaint the image several, sometimes dozens, of times to expirement, but not having the leisurely time they had to produce work means you often have to resort to a shortcut.  This week in fact I was out taking stock photos of the northwest and nearly half my photos were only taken for color pallets. 

I hope that you stick with this piece, even after your deadline man. Getting this exactly to where you want it and finding a process that works for you will level you up like crazy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Greg Westphal & @TeriyakiStyle: I don't know what to say you guys other than thank you! I might be able to buy an extension of a few days. Not enough to become a master but maybe enough to file off some of the parts that are bothering me the most.

A great deal of the scene's colors are already on seperate layers. I might be able to seperate that out into masks. I already have a big one for the arms and their personal junk, separated from the table and cloth. I think I understand now how dropping in garbage colors just to build those masks early on could have saved me a lot of grief. Honestly when I do turn this in I don't want to see it again for a long while, but maybe I can get around that by taking it back to just the line work and redoing the color from there instead of trying to keep pushing the garbage I have uphill any further.

I'm not going to be able to spare the time to review all
     these links in full tonight, but over the next few weeks maybe. I've got another project or two lines up after this one. It would be good to roll into them will all the things I've learned from this one arming me.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tuesday's hail mary update. I went back and heavily adjusted the B&W luminosity layer to improve on the value range and tried to employ the threshold/histogram tricks to boost the brights and drop the darks. I also tried to unify the light in the scene a bit better. It's still mostly layer effects, but considering the deadline I'm pretty pleased with how this has come together.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It reads a lot better man.  Keep us posted on your new stuff and if you have time for a personal piece to take to a very high level of polish it'd be cool to follow that all the way through.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch guys. This would have gone a lot worse without your support and suggestions.

I finished the piece at about 4am so I am incredibly burnt and am in dire need of sleep, but all I can think about right now is what am I going to paint next. So don't worry there's going to be something else and soon. I'm bandying a few ideas, but it needs to be relatively simply and primarily concentrating on rendering forms. Unless you have a tutorial or something that would serve me better at my current skill level?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final version with all the icons and such. This is officially complete.