Home Technical Talk

Graph editor workflow

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Hi,

So I have a question, when I animate, after every pass, I like to go through the graph editor and make sure the curves are doing what they should and no weird stuff is happening and the connections feel right.

By connections, I mean if a shoulder is raised on one pose and on the next, it should raise further, then the curve is actually getting steeper. This actually happens and sometimes, its not worth fixing.

I do this after every pass, after all the main keys are done, again after the extremes and again after every breakdown pass. And I take it channel by channel for each limb. Its insane.

Thing is, it takes AGES!!!! I'm working on a 400 frame shot and it takes a whole day for me to go through the curves!!!!! My main keys are the contacts and around 80% of the shot is the character running. My hands start to sweat from working on the curves, my back aches and I generally lose my sanity.

I've heard top instructors and animators say that its a pain and its tedious but slap on some headphones and get through it. I need to babysit the graph editor because If i don't, then the curves become insane and my work will suffer by the end of it. Plus, it makes polishing so much easier.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to just accept that it is part of the process. I've tried not smoothing them out as much but the end result usually is worse so I've accepted that one or way another, I need to tend to them.

Help me out, fellow animators! :)

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Personally, I think if you're adjusting keys before your polish phase, you`re wasting time.  I work in linear up until all my poses are in, then I spline it and adjust the curves then. But that's part of the polish. A lot of people work in stepped mode. But you should have enough poses that even on stepped mode, the animation looks complete, but just has a bad frame rate. 

Think of it this way. You`re spending a lot of time on each and every pose. You get them just right. Every time you move curves around, you`re messing up that pose you worked so hard on. If your shoulder continues to move up after a pose, then that upper movement should be built in to your next pose. It's faster and more accurate. 

But, with that said, yes, polishing the curves will always take a long time, and is the most tedious part of animation. But it's the part that takes your animation from 90% complete to finished. 
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I work stepped to linear and then spline. I usually key every 2-4 frames. Wen I'm cleaning curves, I always look at the character to see the effect. 

So you're saying I should avoid curve cleaning for when I actually spline the shot out and then do all the curve cleaning then and through to polish?

Hmmmm, interesting. So you don't pay attention to the curves until the spline stage? Even when you're putting in breakdowns? 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Basically, ya. If you`re working in stepped or linear, the curves shouldn't matter because they just go to your next pose. If there's something in the curves during your linear or stepped, then its a problem with your posing, not the curves. If you think your hand needs more arc on something, put that arc into a new pose, rather than adjusting the curves. 
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, given me some food for thought. I usually clean the curves for peace of mind, not to actually put in poses. I guess, I just like to put in the curve flow as I go along.

Might need to adjust my workflow. 
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe, I should pay the curves a visit just once before I set breakdowns instead of every pass.