Home General Discussion

Selling UE4 scene?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I have been working on my scene using UE4. Any idea or recommendation if I can sell my scene? If yes, where should I start looking?

Thank you :)

Replies

• Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    The UE4 Marketplace? That's certainly the most obvious starting point.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also Gumroad. But trying to get on the market place is your best bet.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    ZacD said:
    For some reason, Gumroad seems to have 0 natural traffic from paying customers. The only sales I've ever gotten were from promoting it elsewhere. I wouldn't even bother with it, really.
    If you also have it up on the much more profitable UE4 marketplace, you may as well just promote that version.
  • Necrophob30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necrophob30 polycounter lvl 8
    Grimwolf said:
    ZacD said:
    For some reason, Gumroad seems to have 0 natural traffic from paying customers. The only sales I've ever gotten were from promoting it elsewhere. I wouldn't even bother with it, really.
    If you also have it up on the much more profitable UE4 marketplace, you may as well just promote that version.
    Yah, gumroad specifically says they're not a marketplace, and only act as a facilitator to take payments and deliver content. They don't even have a real way to search for stuff :/
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah gumroad is not a place where you can upload and do nothing and still get sales but in the settings you can turn on so you get promoted and promote similar products, so if someone buys a tutorial your tutorial might come up as a recommended product for that customer, it also says how many referred sales you have had trough this method and for me it is about 5000$, so that's a great way to get some extra non marketed sales if you haven't turned it on already.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah gumroad is not a place where you can upload and do nothing and still get sales but in the settings you can turn on so you get promoted and promote similar products, so if someone buys a tutorial your tutorial might come up as a recommended product for that customer, it also says how many referred sales you have had trough this method and for me it is about 5000$, so that's a great way to get some extra non marketed sales if you haven't turned it on already.
    Over what length of time, though? My items are recommended through that setting to less than one person per day, and they don't necessarily buy from me.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    Over what length of time, though? My items are recommended through that setting to less than one person per day, and they don't necessarily buy from me.
    about half a year I think, I guess it works best with resources and tutorials though which there are tons of.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, bit of advice to the OP, your thread title didn't have a question mark so I added one to it. Without the question mark it looks like the thread is an ad for your content, instead of what it really is about, asking about how to sell it. Minor point really, but makes a big difference. Just something to think about for the next thread.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    about half a year I think, I guess it works best with resources and tutorials though which there are tons of.
    Damn, maybe I should try selling tutorials instead of assets...
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think at the moment there very few devs looking for assets on gumroad, it has become a nest for resources and tutorials, so when you see a link that is kinda what you expect, but still 95% of my income is still trough self promotion, so that's the way to go if you want to sell well.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have any recommendations on how to promote? I've yet to find something that works particularly well.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well using facebook works great, and when you have gathered a large pool of customers update emails trough gumroad is great.

artstation promotion has worked best for me but it's a bit expensive.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found something interesting about selling on Gumroad; your items won't be recommended to other people, or even show up in search results, until that item gets a sale from a customer being directed from an outside promotion.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm might be a popularity issue, I guess popular items that sell well might be more likely to show up
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm might be a popularity issue, I guess popular items that sell well might be more likely to show up
    If unsold items were simply lower in the search results, I could understand it. But after testing, I can say that they literally are not there. I have both items that have sold and items that have not; if I try searching for an item that has sold, it comes up easily. But if I search for any item of mine that has not sold, it literally will not show up under any circumstance. Whether I go by title, or keywords, or any combination. If I get too specific, it just comes up with no results whatsoever.

Similarly, when I check my dashboard, the only items getting views either through Recommended by Gumroad or just Gumroad searches are the items that have previously sold.

I don't know why they do it that way, but it's pretty important to know if you intend to sell there.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm yeah if that's the case then it's weird, maybe try sending a mail to gumroad support
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Grimwolf said:
    Damn, maybe I should try selling tutorials instead of assets...

Well, main issue that I see here is that you're trying to sell a very small number of individual assets man.

It's too random. Most devs aren't looking for a single texture or a tree, they are looking for a set that will be enough to cover at least one scene or a level.

One person's stylized assets usually aren't compatible with other people's stylized assets.
    So potential buyers need to see some kind of evidence that your assets are a brand that will keep growing and supplying them with all kinds of textures.

If you release 5 assets that shows nothing.
    If you release 25 assets with consistent quality and style, that will look like you're at least somewhat serious about it.

When I first  started making texture packs I initially wanted to release just a small pack with about 10 grass textures in it.
    But then I thought that maybe it's a better idea to add other stuff like rocks, ground etc.

The pack kept growing and I ended up releasing it once it had over 100 textures.
    It took me 1,5 months of hard work to create such amount but I think it was the right decision.
    The sheer number of textures probably contributed to the pack's popularity.

And sure, brands like Bitgem have been selling assets individually right from start.
    But were they getting a significant amount of sales after releasing just 5 textures?
    I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that sales were slowly growing over time.

I'm not saying that making a big pack is guaranteed to help you on gumroad - but before you focus on promotion you gotta take a look at what you're trying to sell and ask yourself if it's actually a useful product.