Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter freezes computer (Windows 10)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
Hello,
I recently bought SP2, but I've encountered a quite problematic issue. My computer freezes completely when I try to boot up Painter. Painter doesn't even start, my computer just stops and I have to force-restart it.

I'm currently using Windows 10 (the Anniversary update which was released about a week ago) and the newest nVidia GPU drivers (368.81). I've seen a few people have the same issue on Win 10, but I haven't found a solution to this as of yet.

Someone who had the same issue posted a video of it on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxdB07Z9j0

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• Jerc
  • Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go - it seems that sometimes SP boots up, but most of the time it crashes.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Ha I see you have a GTX 750. We've had a number of reports with this specific model and Painter 2.2 and are investigating what is causing the crashes. In the meantime, using 2.1 should let you use the tool without crashes though.
  • Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    Ha I see you have a GTX 750. We've had a number of reports with this specific model and Painter 2.2 and are investigating what is causing the crashes. In the meantime, using 2.1 should let you use the tool without crashes though.
    Thank you! I'll try out 2.1 tomorrow and report back here whether it works or not.

I'm planning on upgrading my GPU to a GTX 1060 soon-ish, do you know if that card works well with the Substance tools?
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    I've got the winning combination too, GTX 750 Ti and Windows 10. I downloaded 2.1.1.1251, the issue still persists there. I'm Downloading the oldest 2.1 build. Will let you know if it works.

EDIT: 2.1.0.1208 works
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Jerc said:
    Thank you! I'll try out 2.1 tomorrow and report back here whether it works or not.

I'm planning on upgrading my GPU to a GTX 1060 soon-ish, do you know if that card works well with the Substance tools?

A GTX 1060 will be fine. We have some 1070 and 1080 running at the office and they work fine. (Expect Iray which is not supported by this hardware yet) :)
  • Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok said:
    Jerc said:

A GTX 1060 will be fine. We have some 1070 and 1080 running at the office and they work fine. (Expect Iray which is not supported by this hardware yet) :)
    I can confirm that SP and SD both work on the 1060 - I went ahead and bought one a few days ago.  :)
    So iRay isn't supported on the 10xx cards? I was actually wondering why my renderer in SD and SP was completely pitch-black. Is there any ETA on the fix?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We are waiting for the official support of these GPUs in Iray by NVIDIA, that should come along in September.
  • Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok said:
    We are waiting for the official support of these GPUs in Iray by NVIDIA, that should come along in September.

Alright, thanks!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    rbaxter12 said:
    Yeah GeForce GTX 750 doesn't work for me either.

It's more likely an other issue here, because it should work. :)
    Try cleaning and then reinstalling your GPU drivers.