Home General Discussion

Quake Champions

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kohg polycounter lvl 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhHcEiegb8

I've been waiting for this for quite a while now. Don't know if this is supposed to be Quake5 or not, since last i heard if ID was to get back to the quake franchise they would go back to the lovecraftian theme instead of the strogg one, yet this seems like an upgraded version of Quake 3 Arena.

My only criticism is that the rocket launcher looks ugly. Quake's and Q3A rocket launchers, now those were proper good looking ones.

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I liked Quake 1,2 and 4
    I thought 3 was alright but UT was better in my opinion.
    judging by how they made the doom multiplayer... I'm.. skeptical...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm seeing Q3DM6 and possibly Q3DM7. Looking forward to seeing the inevitable Q3DM17 remake.
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Yes i saw Camping Grounds, it was the only one i could identify/recognize. The Longest Yard was also one of my favorites.
  • Drocho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drocho polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah, that's the coolest. I grew up on Quake, always did say that they just don't do FPS like they used to but this looks brilliant.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I'm seeing Q3DM6 and possibly Q3DM7. Looking forward to seeing the inevitable Q3DM17 remake.
    Yeah! Although Im not sure I can handle the super fast gameplay anymore haha.

Do you guys remember how people used to set the game to horrible settings to make players more visible, wonder if thats gonna happen again hahaha

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    @Ged Yeah even i at some point start playing with similar configs. In most Q3 engine games, the most competitive players would use a config, i remember in enemy territory (wolfenstein) it was so much easier to score headshots.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    ....and yet they wonder why their precious quake isn't as popular as it used to be.  That visual balance issue,and then there's the physics exploits issue (which came earlier - gratuitously low detail was usually done just to hit that magical 333fps where a player could move faster and jump higher, helping to cement fuckoffartistsblurrovision into a "quake standard")

Hopefully Quake Champions doesn't have to repeat the StopHavingFunGuys issues the Unreal series and Valve games avoided (for the most part) - especially when this pro niche clique had more than enough kickstarters and early access games made suited for their taste (Relfex, more recently Diabotical, etc)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    hmm, I'm kinda afraid to click this link.

Quake 3, with its great art direction, complex character designs and detailed environment textures is one on my biggest game dev inspirations.
    Every time I reinstall it I'm surprised that despite being low res and low poly majority of its designs and assets still look pretty damn good.

And I can't see a big publisher wanting to release anything similar to that game.

One of most characteristic things about Q3 is that distinct gigeresque look of environments which mixed gothic and high tech elements.
    And just like giger's art Quake 3 had plenty of christian motifs and satanic symbols that contributed to its undeniably evil atmosphere.

Current design trends focus on big bold forms and aim to have as much clarity as possible. Which means gigeresque details are not welcome.

And also, I'm noticing a trend that says "satanic elements and christian symbols must be toned down or ditched or else some people will be put off and not buy the game".
    Which is probably true.
    So I suspect that the new game will be probably 10 times more neutral and visually not much different from other arena shooters like modern UT games, so the result will be bland as hell.

I hope to be wrong...

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'm honestly more worried about the class system that was mentioned when the game was revealed. Haven't seen or heard much about it since then. 

At least there's still rocket jumping...
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's still a lot of time to repeat history and throw it out.

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    They need to evolve the genre, its pretty much dead at this point with <2k players daily average across all games.
    Doing the same thing will fail, the old system offers very little compared to modern fps games. With characters they can bring in more depth and diversity and keep players entertained with the addition of new ones over time, without inflating things like weapons and pickups. Sure this will not be liked by everyone, but the old players are a small part of their expected playerbase, which also have proven that they are not willing enough to play all the current arena shooters made after their liking and they also might like it. Maybe its going to be good with classes. Execution is everything imo.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To be fair, the fact that Quake Live only appeared on Steam after a couple years of its lifespan AND still costs 9.99 is probably at least partly to blame for the low player base, isn't it ? That and the garish look (arguably worse than the 99 original) really doesn't make for an attractive product ...

Can't wait to see more of Champions.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's lower since server owners mostly took it upon themselves to have a new third-party glicko stats system to pre-kick everyone who isn't a vet, after Quake Live ditched ELO before gaining the pricetag, not realizing increased accessibility to all skill levels was Quake Live's whole point.