Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sinistrari's Crit. Me Corner!

So I've recently taken upon myself the task of a whole new concept art project based on The Neverending Story, in order to start up and build up my portfolio. 

Already I've ran into a brick wall in trying to photo-bash the main character, Bastian. I started trying to rescue it by painting in some more lighting information but it still looks so awkward and peculiar. I have no idea how to improve it! Any feedback or just general comments would be more than welcome. 

Oh my gosh it's so awful...

On a more confident note, I did actually manage to produce the first sheet of iterations by resorting to my comfort zone of line-art. Again, any critique/paintovers/comments/etc is encouraged! (Seriously. I don't want this thread to drop dread before it even begins... That'd be very sad.) 

Replies

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Heya! First of all, photobashing takes time. A lot of getting it right comes down to fixing colors (Hue/Saturation sliders,) values (I like the Curves window,) and lighting with a soft brush. Focus on the big forms. I recommend zooming way the heck out and trying to balance it there! 
    Think about the anatomy of the character underneath. The transition from boots to shorts is a little funky, so I'd do a drawover to make sure the scale is right.
    I don't recommend using such perfectly clean clothes! Having some dirt or using a more "well-loved" set of clothes will make it more believable. Kids are messy by nature, at least a little bit :) Give him some intentionally-placed mud to have run in.

Also, just in general, it's okay to post stuff without feeling super great about it. The point of getting feedback is to realize the flaws! Don't stress that "it's so awful..." cuz it ain't. You're doing a great job just getting started, so I'd recommend finding some great photobash references and looking at how those were tackled. Degrading your work doesn't help ya get better. Just enjoy the journey and have fun along the way :) Keep going!
  • beccatherose
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Shoot, it posted the same comment 3x. Sorry XD