Home Technical Talk

Modular PBR Texture Workflow/ Demo AAA scene for unity? (Looking for advice)

Crumbkin
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Crumbkin polycounter lvl 3
Hello Guys,
I have been spending alot with research, surfing and reading many guides/tutorials on Modularity and it's workflow. Trying to grasp the technique and using it for creating my own Environment art while optimizing performance and quality. I have understood most of its part and I am getting the hang of it on how to break down Pieces and how to reuse them design wise (even though not yet perfectly). But what I am having most trouble understanding right now is how to connect Modular design with PBR texturing.

How do I create PBR Textures (with normals) that can be reused for these pieces instead of making unique textures for every modular piece?

I am working on a scifi Environment and I am kinda stuck right now, because I am not sure how to put everything together perfectly and make the most of it. I have started making the underpart of Column which I could use for other parts too, but I do not know how to make a PBR texture for it that could also be used for other stuff?

I have tried to find AAA Sample Project scenes for Unity 5 to have a look at the files and dissect the process of creating a modular environment in its integrity, but didn't find any. Most of them require me to buy them for 100€ which I would like to avoid by all means as I do not have the money for that.

If anyone would be kind to help me out here with a few tips or tutorial links or scenes they know that could help me out, I would enthusiastically appreciate your kindness.

Thank you very much for taking your time reading this, feel free to ask me anything, I will try to answer ASAP!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    There's no difference between creating tiling PBR textures and the older texturing format, aside from the maps used. You can still do it in Photoshop, but really the industry has pretty much moved to tools like Substance or Quixel as you can create entire materials rather than individual textures. What software do you currently use for texturing?
  • Crumbkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Photoshop with cgtextures, but im starting to use substance painter too now!
    Thanks for your reply! :)
    Do you have any tutorials on making modular textures? Or do you know where I can find a scene file AAA level to look at for unity?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't mention which modular resources you're looking at. Maybe these will provide some info.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

musashidan is right, there's not a difference in workflow for modular meshes in particular. You'll still do all the same modular things, except you're making the textures and materials using PBR methods instead of the old diffuse-specular methods.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    In addition to these great replies it would be valuable for you to share your progress alongside thoughts/questions. This will help people get a much better grasp of your specific needs as well as point out things you may not notice.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, and as far as i know, right now Substance designer is the one to go by for easily creating tillable/ thirthing textures. you wanna have a look at it.  enjoy
  • Crumbkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OKay yes sorry I will try to make a screenshot of sth I was working at, but it is very early stage and I will put more details on it!

@Eric Chadwick I have already checked that link I have seen it in another post, It is extremely good, but I did not really find anything specific on how to make modular textures or textures for the modular pieces!

Brb, will come with some pictures and explain in Detail what I am looking for!
  • Crumbkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I am back with some quick screenshots

@Bertmac Yes definitly, but I only purchased Substance Painter when it was on sale and did not grab the substance designer sadly which is way to expensive for me right now and I am looking for alternatives and a photoshop workflow maybe. I was also thinking about just using the smart materials of substance painter as a basis and make them tilable.

Screenshots of what I am currently working:

Here I tried to whitebox my Idea of what my level should look like as in Dimensions/Snapping, I made some basic shapes for the things I want to model out and that are going to be modular (Just for a general Idea and to get started, not finished at all)

In the next step, I immidiately dove into one of the modular pieces and started trying to create some shapes and break it into three pieces.
    The bottom Part (cube shape), the pillar and the top part (which cannot be seen here).

Then I started to create a Highpoly of the bottom part to try out stuff (it's not done yet), as I was trying to get a feeling to see how I could use this piece also for other stuff. I just modeled out the front side and mirrored it 4 times. I left the middle section open intentionally since I have not figured out yet what I was going to make of it.

Next I wanted to create a texture for it, which is where I am stuck at now. I tried to make one in substance painter (5 minutes try out), but then I got confused because it feels like it would get too unique and I would not be able to use it for other things (I want to put more colors and make some self-illumination lines and put some hyroglyph shapes etc.

This is where I am confused at, because the maps just feel too unique and I am not sure if this is modular at all.

Here I put two Maps for you to look at (how the Uvs look like):

• Crumbkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All in all I just tried to go from Macro to Micro and see how I can work things out and how well they work together, but whenever I reach the part of texturing and normalmap Uvs in Modular Asset Production, I get really confused and I am just not sure how it's supposed to work. Makes me feel like it can only turn out with a unique texture and normalmap.

Like either I make a modular Texture and Model Assets according to this Texture by placing the Uv's on top of the Texture sheet OR I make Modular Assets that will have a unique Textures including Normalmap.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crumbkin said:
    @Eric Chadwick I have already checked that link I have seen it in another post, It is extremely good, but I did not really find anything specific on how to make modular textures or textures for the modular pieces!
    It looks like you didn't examine very much of that page. The second link there does a great job of explaining modular texture workflow. There are many more examples on the wiki page. "Modular Environment Design.rar" by Kevin Johnstone is another great one. "Working with Modular Sets" by Philip "PhilipK" Klevestav is another. Lots of great stuff there.
  • Crumbkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Ok wow thanks a ton, yea I will have to look more thoroughly into those. Thank you very much for pointing them out. Sadly I cannot find or open the one from Kevin Johnstone, it gives me a weird Sourcecode page with lots of weird Symbols, I also tried googling it and went onto his page, but still the same error? Do you know where else I can find it or how i can download the zip? thanks again
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The link works fine for me. It's a 12mb RAR file, which is a zip-like archive format. Inside is a PPTX powerpoint file with the slides from his conference talk.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You're right,  what you're doing now is more geared towards unique assets(edgewear/dirt based on ao/curvature. For modular reusable textures you would need Substance Designer or build the shader in-engine. In SD you can author the textures so that the parameters are exposed (all the SP materials are built this way) you can also create tiling materials in SP. Just import a proxy plane as the mesh and work that way. Definitely have a good read of the links Eric provided. Building modular is mostly in the planning and is the most important step.

As of this weekend SP/SD are now free for students if you qualify.