Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VR hardware interface projects

AlecMoody
ngon master
Offline / Send Message
AlecMoody ngon master
I wanted to start a thread for people to share their VR hardware/interface projects in.

Personally, I am into motorsports so the idea of a better racing sim experience is what initially interested me in VR. I bought a DK2 when those first went on sale, tested it out for sim racing, and found the resolution didn't allow me to see far enough into the distance to drive effectively. About a month ago I got a CV1 and I can finally see where I am going. VR gives an accurate sense of speed/scale and allows you to build good habits with looking where you want the car to go. After getting my CV1 and deciding it was good enough for my needs, I doubled down and started building a new sim rig for my office:

Early sketch:

Figuring out how to bend 12 gauge steel with hand tools and clamps:

Paint:

Some simple CV1 camera mounts I designed. The idea is that I can quickly unsnap the tracking camera from the wall and take it back to my desk for other uses.

In my office closet:

Now that I have this all working, I can see how much of a pain in the ass it is to drag my keyboard and mouse over, then attempt to use them to navigate menus. I don't need precise mouse control, just something crude to operate menus when not driving. My next project is going to be designing a button plate for the steering wheel with some kind of mini joystick mapped to mouse functionality and enough buttons to operate other functions.

Replies

• mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    That is really cool, nice work! I started to make a racing rig starting with a frame of one someone gave me, but it turned out to be too wobbly in the end. Your design looks super solid, makes me want to start a new version now. Whats your control setup? I had a G27 but this looks much fancier.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Did a mod move this into 3d pimping? I am pretty sure I posted this in general discussion.

Over the weekend I designed a VR specific wheel/button plate with mini joystick I intend to use a mouse. Currenlty, I am dragging my keyboard and mouse across the room and have to peak out of my headset to find/use them. This should cover all my needs without a keyboard and mouse. The part will be an SLS nylon print from shapeways

Layout:

The back side where all the interesting stuff is. Snap in mount for the controller PCB and integrated wire management clips:

Lastly, a quick test of the wiring layout to help dial in the layout of the clips:

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Having a mouse stick mounted to the steering wheel is a massive quality of life improvement: