Home Technical Talk

OpenGL or Directx which option to use in Viewport 2 in Maya 2016 for Quadro K4200

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
Hi,
 I would like to know which mode should i use OpenGL or Directx in Viewport 2 in Maya 2016 extension 2 for Quadro K4200. And if openGL then which one OpenGL Legacy or OpenGL-Core Profile(compatibility) or OpenGL-Core Profile(strict). I am using WIndows 10, 32GB ram, AMD FX 8350, Quadro K4200 and SSD. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.

Replies

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And which driver do you guys use for Quadro, ODE one or the VR/Performance one?
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I have a k2200, I want to throw it out the window as soon as possible.
    I use the default drivers, but really for 3D I never had luck with Quadro.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i am using Quadro K4200 for few months, i have done few freelance projects with it. And the performance has been robust, i have used Maya, Mari, Photoshop, Unity and Unreal Engine.  Also used tried Substance Painter trial for few test scenes, it works fine.
    I just compared K2200 with K4200, main difference is 128 bit bus and only 640 cuda cores. Quadro K4200 has 256 bit bus and 1344 cuda cores, what softwares do you use.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Since you're on Windows you can tend to use DirectX \ Direct3D, and only switch to OpenGL if you feel something is not working right.
    It's not that OpenGL "won't work as well", it's that you're sure that DirectX should work fine since it's built for that operating system.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried Marvelous Designer today, and the performance is not good. My GTX 950 was better than this one. And tried the Substance painter today with 4k textures and the performance was unusable(cannot paint anything at 4K textures). 2k textures was working fine though. I guess i said good things too soon, time for an upgrade :)
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I have a gtx970 that works really  better for me under every circumstances.
    Thise super expensive cards are made for super precise calculateions and cad stuff.

but hey a k4200 is a strong card, sure is not the best for games related CG.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx said:
    I have a gtx970 that works really  better for me under every circumstances.
    Thise super expensive cards are made for super precise calculateions and cad stuff.

but hey a k4200 is a strong card, sure is not the best for games related CG.
    Substance Painter works fine with GTX 970? I have heard, because of the slow 512MB part of the 4GB there is performance issue in few applications. Never used a GTX 970 though :) . And i am planning to upgrade to GTX 1060 6GB.
  • Himinglaeva