Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Portfolio Improvement (improving previous pieces)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycount,

So my goal over the next few weeks is to go back over portfolio pieces and improve them to a higher standard so that I can feel confident sending them out potential employers as I feel some of the pieces like that bit of quality or need to be part of a scene. I would really appreciate any feedback so be as critical as you like
My first pieces I will be improving is an old monthly challenge.

Below is my original attempt (Concept - http://i.imgur.com/yDW7KBN.jpg) 

Replies

• lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thing to address is the wall texture which was my first time using substance designer

Old vs new sandstone block texture

I'm quiet happy with the result. I was trying for a clean but used look and think I a fairly good balance. I have gone away from the look in the concept a bit as i feel these fit the Egyptian feel better. What do people think ?

Again any feedback on the scene and/or my updates is greatly appreciated.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Didn't read your post properly and just wrote a reply critiquing the top texture xD

it seems you have changed most the things I pointed out. IMO I think the wall looks a bit too glossy, from what I can tell the sand stone would look more rough and more grainy looking surface to it. Its hard to tell though as the old buildings obviously dont look as they originally would have :D

Nice work so far. Here's some stuff I think you could improve as you go along:

• Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    more detail! good plan though i need to do the same.  nice work
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the advice @Doxturtle I've been back and added more surface noise in the normal and adjusted the roughness. @Tomiajayi I have also tried to push the existing details a little more while trying to prevent the tiling becoming obvious.

I have put the improved brick texture back in with the painted wall. Made some small improvements to the painted section some more minor details/wear. Created a quick smooth plaster material to bridge between materials.

The section I have improved is the pattern roof section

Old vs New

The overall Scene with the new texture

Finding it really nice to see how far i have come in a year.
    Let me know what you think :) 

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    The textures are much better indeed, but the final image still reads very similar. I can't really tell how much the textures have improved from your final image, because it's such a wide shot.

If you wanted to make big improvements to it, I think you need to work on the scene lighting, and try and find a more interesting camera angle for your final image.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your scene looks too bright compared to the concept, the concept seems to have more a darker look to it. 

If you want to add the lightrays you could use this tutuorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOdTrIB5te0&ab_channel=DaveWilson
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Great progress! I'm not sure if you're already planning to address this, but I think it would make a huge difference to tweak the red pillars a bit. In the concept, there's quite a bit of dust/dirt around the bottoms of them. Making a "dirty" version of the material and vertex blending it in doesn't seem like it would be that huge of an investment, but I think it would add a lot to the piece. Also, I noticed that the actual plants are missing -- will you be adding those?

In viewing your most recent version compared to the original concept, another thing that stands out to me is the contrast in the wall texture. Your version has wayyy more contrast than the concept -- maybe tone that down or again create a worn version with less contrast that you use as your base texture, vertex blending in the more contrasting version for a slight "pop".
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That new texture is way better. Unfortunately you can't see the change in the final render :(. This problem happens a lot. Remember that you want to make your updates based off what the final image "needs" not what individual elements or details might need.    Basically you want to focus on the overall image without getting lost in minutiae. 
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think adding the darker colour down the middle of the two blue paintings on the wall will help the piece. In the concept that helps to kind of draw your eyes into that middle path
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the feedback its really appreciated. Got to some time to sit down and try to implement as much of it as possible. Got quiet a few things added. Set up vertex painting on several materials. A created a sand material to blend in to the floors material to add some height and try and make it look like sand building up in the corners etc. @Carabiner  Thanks for pointer I was planning on doing this but it has made me review a lot of my other textures and have added more dirt/details to them aswell.

Cheers for highlighting the issue of the overall scene @Tomiajayi and Wendy de Boer. I was expecting the textures to make more of a difference however as you point out at such distance the have little impact. So I have spent a fair bit of time playing around with camera angle and lighting. Still not very happy with it. Having a tough time balancing the mood/lighting of the concept with getting enough light in the scene to get the details in the texture to show.

Doxturtle  for the link to the tut was something i was in the process of adding. I think the dark coloured shrine area helps that area stand out a bit betters

More interestingly (hopefully) angled scene shot

Close up shot to try and show of some of the texture details

Still got a few texture to add a bit of wear to even thou i'm trying to keep it fairly clean as well. I am planning to add in the statue that is in the concept to hopeful make it more of a focal point and add the plants in which should a bit more colour variety to the scene. I still feel like the lighting is quiet right and any feedback/advice on this in particular would be super helpful. 

Thank you again and please keep the feedback coming

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Looking really great so far! A few things that stick out for me:

Everything feels artificial, they are all in the scene but don't feel like they are apart of the scene. Too neat too straight etc. 

The ware isn't consistent across the scene. Your walls have taken a fair bit of damage and look old yet the rest of your scene and props look brand new. Also on the wall, I thought they didn't really use mortar and the stones kind of locked in together. The concept looks like it has mortar but the brick size is a lot smaller

The paint on the floor seems a bit too reflective, also will you be adding in cracks to match the concept?

The lighting also needs work, feels a bit too intense at the moment. I personally am horrible with lighting so I know the pain when it comes to lighting!

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem you mentioned with not having enough light to show details comes up a lot.
    it's back to what I said about the overall look vs the little details. Basically you want to adjust your materials so that they show off their properties for the scene, not for accuracy.
    For example you could make your stone super shiny even though it shouldn't. or give way more bump to things that should be smooth.  Just so it looks good for the image.
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also you want your very best pieces of art in the forefront. 
    you've got those really nice wall art and fire pillars in the back. and the simple collumns up front :+1:
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it has been a while since I posted up here. My job and my final projects for my course have meant progress on this took a hit. But I'm back armed with the feedback from yourselves and from the industry people at some events.

I have a added more wear to all the objects to make them more consistent with each other while making the scene more interesting.
    I am also going to add the statue in the end which will hopefully create more of a focal point.

Still to do:
    Redo the fire pit
    Complete the statue
    Adjust the lighting (the sky/ bloom effect being so bright is causing the dark areas of the scene to be too dark) I'm trying to get a more moody feel. And plan to do close ups or breakdowns to highlight individual materials and assets.

Progress on the overall scene

Still need to play with the other camera angles

High poly of the statue -  nearly complete (just major wear/damage, chest and crooks to finish) the minor cracks will be done using the texture

Your feedback is appreciated and I'm taking it all on board to try to get better. So please anymore is appreciated
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm pretty close to calling this scene done - Just need play with the final camera angles slightly and bake the lighting at production quality.

Any last critiques before I do ? Also, thank you for all the feedback that you have given up to now its been a big help. 

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    A huge improvement from the original! The bottom two screenshots look great, only things I could really suggest is a few smaller details. Maybe a buildup of sand or some treasure lying around. But it looks good as it is! 

Like I said the bottom screenshots look great, but I think the top one looks a little dark. I think it's just the shadows in the foreground, behind the pillars and such. I think the fire pit in the middle needs to be a bit brighter. And the eye is drawn to the statue, so I think there needs to be a highlight on that to make it stand out a little. Maybe the skylight points at that? 
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers, @RustySpannerz.

Right made final very minor tweaks to the lighting. Tried to give the statue a bit more light while still keeping it fairly subtle. Baked it all at production and I'm happy to call this done and move onto my next project.

If you have any more feedback please share it and I will take this forward into my next project. Thank you for all the feedback everyone and I'll see you soon.