Home Unreal Engine

Is it possible to get a job as an environment artist without knowing UE4's Material system?

ContrivanCe
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ContrivanCe polycounter lvl 14
I'm going through Eat3D's UDK Modular Masterclass with Tor Frick.

So far it's been simple enough, but now he's on to vertex painting and making a material using constant bias scale nodes, Lerp nodes, etc. and ffs I hate this stuff.

I use substance designer for node based texturing, but UDK and UE4 are just too complex for me.

Replies

• furiouslul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    furiouslul polycounter lvl 4
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Yes... Complex materials will be done by the tech artist. You are applying as an environment artist so they want you to be able to make nice environments, not complex materials. But its definitely an advantage though. 
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    It doesn't hurt to know how to use Materials, besides it has an easy learning curve and they are fun to work with! If you know how to use them you will know what can you do with your textures and work smarter.
  • Jonny10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonny10 polycounter lvl 5
    When I started with UE I found that a lot of my Substance Designer knowledge was transferable to the material editor. Lerp nodes are comparable to SD's blend node with an alpha mask, for example. 

However, regarding your question, I think it depends on the scale of the team. If, like Obscura mentioned, there's a TA on board that person will likely build a material library for you to use (and probably do several other things as well). But if you're one of the few artists around you might be expected to do everything needed for the final product. 

Learning shaders/materials will be a great asset to your skillset. It's worth spending time on, and I have no doubt you'll end up enjoying it  
  • ContrivanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ContrivanCe polycounter lvl 14
    Jonny10 said:
    When I started with UE I found that a lot of my Substance Designer knowledge was transferable to the material editor. Lerp nodes are comparable to SD's blend node with an alpha mask, for example. 

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying.