Home Marmoset

Help with setting up hair shader in Marmoset

AlexGabriel
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
AlexGabriel polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

I've been trying to come up with a workflow for low-polygon hair where I practically merged various pieces of information from the web together ( For modeling, I used the example here: http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/ which I find works pretty well with some manual tweaks. For texturing I used Substance Painter, where I painted the hair strands directly on the uv islands, because it allowed me to paint several maps together, colour, roughness, metalness and most importantly the opacity map).

Thing is, I got stuck in Marmoset Toolbag, because setting up the proper look of the hair is more tricky than I thought. I checked the tutorial that deals with character setup ( http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-setup), however, the hair part is confusing and I feel I'm missing some points.

I used the following maps to achieve this look for now, all extracted from Substance Painter:
- base colour
- roughness
- metalness ( I'm not sure if I should use metalness or specularity in Marmoset or how I can produce the proper map )
- opacity
I also added a normal map produced from the base colour map in Photoshop with the Nvidia normals plugin.

Following the advice from the marmoset tutorial, I tried playing around with the diffusion channel in the material, where I selected skin, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Also, in the reflection and secondary reflection I selected anisotropic for the cylinder style highlights, however, nothing seems to be working properly like in the tutorial.

I'm also adding a shot from Substance Painter, where you can see how the islands for the hair are organized. Practically, I overlapped them into four main islands, for variety.

If anybody with more experience with this tricky aspect would be willing to help, I'd really appreciate it, as it's becoming really frustrating.I'm especially interested in how to achieve the hair look in Marmoset, but if you have any other advice pertaining to the workflow, I'll be delighted to hear!

If anybody might want the files to play around with them and maybe achieve a better look, I'm more than happy to share anything that could help me learn and achieve the proper hair look.

And thanks for anyone having the patience to read through this long post!

Alex

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    For the anisotropic shader in marmoset to work, the angle has to be correct.  I believe if your cards are all aligned vertically, you can set the aniso angle to 90 and it should work properly.
  • AlexGabriel
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexGabriel polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for that, it didn't cross my mind, I'll definitely try it out.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    hey @AlexGabriel
    I'm wondering how this turned out? did this method work for your? or have you discovered a new/better method? 
  • zerd_sword
    Offline / Send Message
    zerd_sword polycounter lvl 7
    I'm trying to set up eyebrows in Marmoset Toolbag (albeit v2 not 3. Waiting for a sale). i'm having issues with transparency at different view distances. If I zoom in on the face, the eyebrows are full and thick. But when I zoom out the brows gradually lose their thickness, basically leaving him looking like he almost has no eyebrows at all. Is this just how it work and I just need to adjust the Alpha and Threshold setting for each shot? Or am I missing a setting somewhere? I am using Cutout with a 512x512 map in the alpha channel of the texture.
  • EarthQuake
    I'm trying to set up eyebrows in Marmoset Toolbag (albeit v2 not 3. Waiting for a sale). i'm having issues with transparency at different view distances. If I zoom in on the face, the eyebrows are full and thick. But when I zoom out the brows gradually lose their thickness, basically leaving him looking like he almost has no eyebrows at all. Is this just how it work and I just need to adjust the Alpha and Threshold setting for each shot? Or am I missing a setting somewhere? I am using Cutout with a 512x512 map in the alpha channel of the texture.
    Sounds like a mip-mapping problem, if you click the gear icon next to the texture you can disable mipping.