Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Art for Verona, a Firefly inspired adventure game

null
Offline / Send Message
Binke null
Hi,
I worked little more then a year for this 3rd person adventure game that was heavily inspired by Firefly and Cowboy bebop.. the setting was really great but unfortunately it got cancelled due to lack of funding. Hope it gets resurfaced sometime in the future. I think i might have posted some of this art before here but i got the permission to post everything now so i am doing that :)

The game was set in a post apocalyptic future where earth is dying, and you play the role as a extractor, hired by companies and rich people to extract valuables from earth , competing with other factions.

Pitch cover art

London covered in sea salt after the water vaporised (earth had been covered in water after polar ice melted).

Deserts everywhere after the water vaporised.

Diamond mining facility in the desert.

This one was scrapped.

Level based on a abandoned gulliver theme park. The mission was to extract the gulliver statue.

some composition sketches for the gulliver concepts.

s

Another view of the Gulliver stage.

Government office in the modern (and last) city of earth, Verona.

Monk faction in France doing...weird stuff!

Verona City. Used Modo and replicators to block in the city. Took quite a while!

Poor district of Verona city

Rich area of verona city.

Moon base where all the rich people held business meetings.

Did compositions in 3D before committing to the painting. 

And the rest here are various rooms in the moon base.

Hope you enjoyed it!
There are a few more images on my homepage on the project at
www.tonyholmsten.com

Available for some freelance work atm in case any one is looking!
cheers

Replies

• Tomiajayi
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    your big and small themes are extremely cool! I hope the game lives up to the concepts.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I really like how communicative the pitch art is, but something about the images as a whole, it's hard for me to see a clear art direction.  I don't know if it's just me, admittedly, I'm pretty young for an artist.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    This is awesome, very inspiring.
  • Binke
    Offline / Send Message
    Binke null
    I really like how communicative the pitch art is, but something about the images as a whole, it's hard for me to see a clear art direction.  I don't know if it's just me, admittedly, I'm pretty young for an artist.
    Thanks! I dont personally agree that the art direction is not clear but i can see that some people might experience it like that if they dont know exactly the premise of the game. We did lack a Art Director so it could have contributed a bit to things not being super focused.
    It was set in a post apocalyptic future where Earth is a dying planet, it basically turned into a desert planet with the exception of Verona City which was the real last city, where the last part of human still lives (most rich people had been able to leave earth for another planet, some stayed for business). And you played the game as an "extractor", a person hired by rich people/companies,who wanted to find valuables that were left on Earth.. could be artwork, hardware, old memories..the statue of liberty :). If you have seen the cowboy bebop episode where they try to find a way to play a old VHS tape..its kind of that feeling.

So the game took place all over the world, that had varying degrees of hi-tech. Some places were abandoned, some places had refugee-like settlements people that could not leave earth and had to make do with what they had, there were ghettos in verona city, and then there was the more developed rich, hi-tech places like the rich areas of verona city, the base on moon where wealthy companies met to have business meetings.
    So all the low-tech areas basically felt like real-world ghetto areas or abandoned areas mixed with some hitech machinery, pretty much how the movie Elysium/District 9 looked. 
    And then you had the really hi-tech modern rich areas, that had a very extravagant bold Zaha Hadid influenced architecture to get a really big contrast. The moon base was supposed to look like as if Syd Mead himself had designed it.

• melli06
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    Man these are some great works! Love the concepts, Firefly and Bebop are some of my favs 
  • leandrojsj
    Offline / Send Message
    leandrojsj polycounter lvl 4
    Is Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Binke
    I think I can see your explanation.  I suppose I wish the interconsistency of the style of the upper class neighborhoods and locations, and the poorer neighborhoods, was slightly more homogenized.
  • DiegoBAQ
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoBAQ polycounter lvl 6
    Enjoyed every piece. Amazing work. So very beautiful. Thanks!