Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Witch Character [WIP]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Avelyne polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone!
I started a new personal project recently and just finished blocking most of it out. I saw this concept art by 鱼子 魏 and loved it and thought I would give it a go. My goal is to try a more stylized character and work on my hand painting skills.  Any critiques or feedback are greatly appreciated :)

WIP:

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    your model looks great! I think making the hat asymmetrical would add a lot to the character. Also she's got quite the thigh gap at the moment, in you concept image her thighs look a bit thicker and her bum larger. Also I think her book should be a bit larger. I look forward to watching your progress!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice start :)  It's got a real Danger Girl/ J Scott Campbell look to the anatomy which is always a good thing!
  • Avelyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update: Made the weapon and finished blocking everything in
    @Tectonic Hey Tectonic, thank you so much for the feedback, it was very helpful! :) I definitely agree with you on making the hat asymmetrical, I think it helped  a lot and I never would have thought to do that otherwise. I tried making the hips and book larger as well and I believe it's looking closer to the concept now, thanks for the help!
    @FAT_CAP Hi FAT_CAP, I love J Scott Campbell's art so that is a huge compliment, thank you very much! :)
  • RakibHasan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RakibHasan polycounter lvl 5
    awesome sculpt. 
  • DanielJohnsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielJohnsson polycounter lvl 5
    Great sculpt!. looking forward to see the final results =)
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Looking great so far, love the style! Excited to see where this goes

A few things caught my eye - The semicircle of gold on her thighs look like they extend further across the thigh, likely just scale them up a little? Also it looks like her dress continues down beyond the belt line in the concept. With the way the pattern continues and wraps over the thighs it reads like one of those long thin skirt/loincloth type deals is tucked between her legs there. You could maybe exaggerate the plane changes around the adductors in the legs too, really pop those 'sexy' contours around the sartorius etc. Depends if you want to go that route though. Ofsetting the belt buckle to one side like it is in the concept would look sweet too i feel.

Lastly (and this is a nitpick) it feels like there's maybe a few too many wrinkles in the arm, looks kinda busy? But that's my personal preference. Looking forward to updates! :)
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Gorgeous proportions!

Everything looks good to me so far except the hat. The edges look too soft and wavy and the base of the cone is too wide in the back view. Everything else is super tight and crisp so this blobby and soft hat doesn't really work with all that.
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    I like your model more than the concept art :)
  • Avelyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update: Finished retopo and uv, started working on the texturing. Texturing has always been one of my biggest weaknesses, so any critique or feedback is greatly appreciated!
    @RakibHasan @DanielJohnsson @Tomiajayi  Hey Rakib, Daniel and Tomi, thank you for the kind words! :)
    @tda Hi tda, thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it! I scaled up the gold semicircle and got rid of some of the wrinkles on the arm, I agree it looked too busy! I tried to exaggerate the legs in the sculpt, but I think it got lost when I started to texture it so I will definitely go back and revisit that. I tried adding the loin cloth. Unfortunately, I could not get it to look appealing at all so ultimately I stuck with what I had. I really like your idea of off-setting the belt buckle to one side and I'd like to do that in her final pose! Thank you for your help! :)
    @Popol Hey Popol, thank you for the feedback, it was very useful! :) I agree that the hat looked very blobby, I tried to sharpen the edges and make the base of the cone smaller.
  • Avelyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished! I rendered it in 3dCoat and added the spell effect in Photoshop. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback along the way, it really helped shape the final character and was a great learning experience!

• karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Great character! Love the style and the clothes. Good work with your sculpture specially in the face =D 
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Turned out great! 
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    well done! this turned out really cool!
  • Avelyne
    Options