Home General Discussion

Anyone else here not play any video games?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
I used to be really into this community and soent a good amount of time modelling and improving my skills but I always had a recurring problem.

For every hour I spent modelling I'd soend an hour playing games. Soon I realised I was gaming far too often and quit cold turkey.

That was 77 days ago and initially my desire to model dropped off immediately  (started going to the gym, dates etc)

However now my itch to model again is coming back and I'm developing an app in unity at the moment (coding + modelling). 

The thing is I don't want to play games, maybe never again - I think theyre a waste of time and unethically designed (addiction + gambling). I still love making textures, models, scripts, levels though.

Anyone else successfully model but rarely play games? I may play a game just to assess the art style and thats it.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I as well.  I make the same cost benefit analysis.  
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    Same here. I still play some old-school styled games for nostalgia, but the less I play the better I feel. And there`s time for family and outdoor activities (mountainbiking and photography in my case).
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Bletzkarn said:
     I think theyre a waste of time and unethically designed (addiction + gambling).
    generalize much?

but i also have the same "problem". most times i sit down to play, i think to myself; "what if i CREATED my own instead?"
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I play basically none as well. I play the ones I worked on, but otherwise it's super limited, definitely less than an hour per week if you averaged it over a year.

I don't see not playing games as a badge of honor though. i enjoy gaming, I honestly wish I could play more games more often, but I work on them full time and my spare time beyond that is limited. Wife, kid, health, sleep, learning new skills etc takes a significant precedence over games, so it wasn't even really a choice to stop playing them. 

One day though, I'm going full bore. Ill retire and it'll be my hobby. 
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    And when you are too tired to do actual work ("game time") you can still watch/read tutorials, learn new techniques, just get an idea how other people work. This is very relaxing and always useful. Watching zbrush summit recap took me 3 month. There`s tons of free and paid educational content online.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik said:
    And when you are too tired to do actual work ("game time") you can still watch/read tutorials, learn new techniques, just get an idea how other people work. This is very relaxing and always useful. Watching zbrush summit recap took me 3 month. There`s tons of free and paid educational content online.
    True well what I realised is I spend a lot of time each day being physically active, at least 2 hours of gym/martial art and another 1 hr of just walking around, going to the park etc. I prefer to do that. In fact I try to minimize my time infront of a PC. If I'm in front of a PC I want to try do something productive or educational.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I don't play much games anymore and haven't for years actualy. At best i play 2-4 games/year and more often then not they are completely different genres from what i'm working on or i play them for the sole purpose of checking out the art/new technical trends.
    This whole shtick that one needs to be passionate about games to work in games is utter nonsense imo. You need to be passionate about making game art. The time spent playing is better spent watching tutorials and practicing skills.
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    I've been playing a lot less than I used to cause as many have mentioned there's a lot more productive ways you can spend your time. Additionally I've been finding I don't get as excited about playing games as I used to. I remember when Steam Summer Sales used to be a huge deal where I'd buy all sorts of new games and this year I didn't even realize it happened. That being said I still like to spend some time having fun with my friends playing games. Lately I've been allowing myself one hour at most of playing Overwatch a day just to satisfy my itch. I could probably even trim that down a bit more but I've been pretty content with the balance I have at the moment as I actually do spend the rest of my days being productive.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Bletzkarn said:
    The thing is I don't want to play games, maybe never again - I think theyre a waste of time and unethically designed (addiction + gambling).
    I think that's a pretty healthy attitude to have, honestly. There's a lot of negatives in gaming that people sort of compartmentalize, but as artists/coders etc it gives us something to strive for. Granted I don't think you can cut off games completely, you still have to be in the loop, but right now I think online multiplayer games are a particularly bad use of one's time, since few of them innovate and a lot of it is based on artificial incentive.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    no time for games... kid wife house beer... :dizzy:
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    I've been in and out of the 'not playing games at all' thing in the past. Usually during tough deadlines, crunch time, etc. What I find is that it is important to me to go back to playing games from time to time because it helps me contextualize what I'm doing. 

I did spent months just working, not seeing friends, no video games or any distractions. While that time helped me greatly to improve my skills (and I regret none of it), I found that it pushed me to a point where I stopped enjoying anything. I couldn't enjoy games or movies, and working on my art became a detached robotic task that brought me less and less fullfillment.

Nowadays, I work 40-ish hour weeks on a project I enjoy, I have tons of ownership on the visuals and a real implication in our small team. My personal work is mostly doodles with the odd contract, but it keeps me busy and helps me improve my art. On top of that, I do play games for a few hours a week to remind me why I'm there and experience the work of other artists and designers. I get the feeling it helps me get involved in our project a lot more and be able to bounce feedback and ideas with the rest of the team.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that everything is good with a proper balance. But really, whatever works for you, it's different for everyone! :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I believe there is a  grey line drawn between two different types of developers; Those that play games and live and breath game play (and design in general) + whatever their role is on their development team, and those developers that do not play many games at all, who are very comfortable in their role at the studio and like to break away from games completely when they are not at work (for countless completely understandable reasons).  This is a pretty large generalization of the industry, but has held true for the studios I have worked with thus far.  If the developer is related to game play or systems design in anyway, I feel like they should be playing games and be very in tune with other products out on the market (released or not released yet) to be truly competitive.  

"The thing is I don't want to play games, maybe never again - I think they're a waste of time and unethically designed (addiction + gambling). I still love making textures, models, scripts, levels though."  I feel like this is pretty damn contradictory in its own right (and a stereotype, though I introduce some stereotypes myself in my own generalizations), but I do know many developers that are not gamers.  They haven't played more than the games they have worked on, and have no intention of widening that scope.  Some come from film, others are purely artistic and love to just hangout in that niche, etc.  If you want to be purely an artist, have nothing to do with design, I say avoiding games will not be detrimental as a game artist.  Keeping up to date via news and reviews of games, however, is a must IMO for obvious reasons.  
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I game vicariously through youtubers. I think it's important to stay current but I don't need to play games to see how the work. If there is something specific I want to check out or I want to support a particular title I'll buy it, otherwise I'm more likely to have something running in the background while I'm working.
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    I game vicariously through youtubers. I think it's important to stay current but I don't need to play games to see how the work.
    Absolutely great advice! I`ve heard this long time ago from Feng Zhu in his youtube FZD school. And it works - you stay in touch with the industry but don`t involve yourself in actually playing.
    To play or not to play also depends on how many hobbies do you have. I`ve found I had too many and it was time to dump some of them, active gaming included.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I don't really play games. When I do, they're mostly artsy games, or old classics from my younger days that I binge on for a couple of hours a day for a week.

I just don't take interest in most games. Especially when I could be reading a book, or following some wikipedia/internet rabbit hole (cetology is super interesting), or learning a hobby, or something. Games are just very very low on my list of priorities in life, so they don't happen often.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I think this inevitably happens to most people as they get older, you have more responsibilities and time becomes more valuable so you have to be careful about how you spend it. Even game devs.

I still play games occasionally (burned through DS3 in a weekend a couple months ago) but not nearly as much as I used to. And I avoid multiplayer games like the plague because they are an unbelievable time sink.
  • vertex_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertex_ polycounter lvl 7
    I did not expect to find so many non-gamers here. I was always under the assumption that most people in the game industry are gamers.

My gaming habits have dropped off substantially over the past five years. Maybe once a month I'll play Flight Simulator for about an hour, and I like to have a round of PGA Tour with my father when I see him, but other than that the only gaming I do is at the office to test my work.

Many games these days require a massive time investment to complete/become proficient at. I'd rather put that time into learning and creating things.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    To me it depends of what you do for a living. If you are a game designer, level designer or environment artist and don't play games, it's a bit weird. If you are a prop artist, character artist, sound designer or anything like that, then I don't think it's a problem if you don't play games at all depending on the studio culture.
    Answering to this from my perspective as environment artist since you mentioned it in the first group. To me it doesn't hurt to play, say the two newest and best looking games of the year. It's helpful for staying in touch with where things are heading, taking some notes and screenshots. Beyond that i don't see much benefit tho. Playing ten games from start to finish will make me not one bit a better artist. To the contrary, it's time not spent working on my skills.
    I learn more from looking at art dumps/portfolios and checking out assets,levels/environments in editor (if the game allows it) then actualy playing.

Indik mentioned Feng Zhu a few posts above. I remember him even having a very negative view of his students playing games despite him teaching them to become artists in the industry.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    I look at games as any other hobby you might have (mountain biking, skating, movies, outdoors, etc) If you spend a lot of time on it, it will make you unproductive on the rest of "life" (work, family, etc). Discipline, that's all.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well because my focus is on VR I absolutely play VR games when I get the chance. I purely playing games at the moment to assess then from a developer level. Which means I'm usually looking at smaller indie games.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Man, O'm only at college and I already miss the full days I used to pass in front of my Ps2 back in Highschool summer vacation. I remember I'd beat dozens of games, weeks after weeks. SO many memories playing with my friends, stories to know about, gameplays to master...*sigh*

Unfortunately, I haven't bought a game since like 2 years (Black Flag) and I still haven't finished it.-_-
    Whenver I do launch the game, I play a few hours but this only happen like once or twice a month....

Though, when FF XV will be coming on PC, I do plan on spending some serious time on it.:-)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I mostly just play games that I know for sure I will enjoy but more importantly will be a source of inspiration professionally, like Uncharted 4 recently. I know the game would be fun but a big part of playing the game was to look at the artwork.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    no real time anymore. I try to make an hour a night for games but it usually winds up being 2 hours a week. I still have the desire to play them, I think, but most games lately are just so bland and uninspiring that I would rather be productive. Still follow all the latest news though and play when I can.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    *stands up, hands shaking from withdrawl.

"Hello, my name is stinger88 and I'm a Rocket League™ addict... It has been about 8hr 32mins 15secs since my last game..."
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    I rarely play games, as I find it hard to find games I think I'll enjoy playing.
    Competitive gaming doesn't interest me anymore. I haven't owned a console since snes.
    But I do watch youtubers play through games..that's something that can play on the side while doing something else, and still get a bit of the experience.
    It may seem odd not to play games if you are in this industry, but I never worked on games because I'm passionate about games, but because I'm passionate about 3d.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like playing games still but I only play like 5 hours a week lately so it takes me a loooong time to get through a game. Some games, if they make me replay the same area over and over, I just stop playing, because its not worth my time and other things are more important to me.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    vertex_ said:
    I did not expect to find so many non-gamers here. I was always under the assumption that most people in the game industry are gamers.

Ahhhh i'm not alone!

The fact of the matter is, who has the time? I haven't 'made it'. Any free-time I have needs to be spent working at my craft! Do I love games? YES! That's why i'm in this, it's my favorite medium to experience a story. When I was younger i certainly was a gamer, but i also just....had no responsibilities. If I could, I would. But I am way too busy, so i just watch playthroughs on YouTube instead. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I game in bursts, like I wont play anything for a year or more, then I'll play 5 games in a row. Up until the last Steam sale it had been a year and a half since I last played anything.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I always felt more like this: "we're all socially awkward here with no life, yet we'd like to know more about you beside work related stuff. Let's ask about the one thing we all have in common: games! .... wait, what?!? That dude doesn't play games!? He ain't one of us! Raise the alarm! Imposter! Get the pitchforks!!". Of course you would like to hire people who have some familiarity with the products your company or their competitors are creating. But with the increased size of productions and increased specialization the value of this knowledge becomes less and less as a single artist has less and less impact on the overall product.

Having said that, I do play games. But the wrong ones for turning them into a job interview bonus point. I totally focus on the fun and relaxation I get from it. I don't care about graphics and tech any more... back to the roots, I guess.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Well...
    I certainly don't see it as an "addiction"
    I acknowledge that all that extra time I spent on Team fortress 2 is precisely my fault and my fault only.
    Some times you are just creatively dead and can't bring yourself to work, no?
    Video games usually help with that,

Finding some way to get around a map that I swear the level designer didn't expect in TF2 usually helps lift my spirits up

Also they're are a great source of inspiration.
    If the guys at Eidos Montreal managed to make Rifleman bank station with what I perceive as a shitty engine(at least according to the developer commentaries) without fancy PBR shaders

Then I have no excuse not to make a single still image with fancy raytracing tech from blender cycles.

They're only a time sink if you allow them to be a time sink

One match at 2fort won't be the end of the world
    One hour in Counter Strike Global Offensive's Demolition won't be the end of the world either

Also, gambling is completely optional.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Not playing them nearly as much as I used to. Like everyone's been saying, after a while they're not as fun as they used to be and become more of a time sink thank anything. I'd much rather willingly give my time to some healthy skill development or a tutorial than a game nowadays but it wasn't always this way. My friends and I used to play for hours on end but I guess we/I just grew up and realized that there are far more productive things I can and should be doing with my time. Videos games aren't wastes of time like I'm saying, they're just not the best use of it. Though I must say, when you're absolutely exhausted from a 12+ hour day of school, exercise, and practice, video games are the perfect remedy. With that said, when I do indulge on a nice, succulent game, it's typically me and my brother making a co-op mission in ArmA 3 and thinking up different ways to complete it. Can be quite fun with how much content there is and it's always really cool to hear his reaction and amazement at how 'realistic' the game is in comparison to the other shooters he typically plays (CS:GO, CoD).
  • MarkedOne8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkedOne8 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi all! This is actually my first polycount post/message. :)
    I came across this forum thread accidentally and I wanted to share my POV.

First of all, I don't play games, literally. The only game I play is the game of Basketball (the real sports game).
    I can imagine my selft playing some really old games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or WW2 (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor) just to cure my nostalgia or some newer games to keep up with trends or get some new ideas and knowledge about ever changing standards.

If you are a content creator PRIMARILY, IMO playing games should not be considered as waste of time because while you play the game you can have fun, get inspiration, motivation, discover and learn the secrets of game's fame.
    Also, I would go as far and say that even the gamers should know bits about game creating, especially pro online gamers, because that could give them (legal) advantage. So, it's OK to play games as long as you have the right balance between creating and playing.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I binge game. I will have a month or so of nothing then just play a game every waking moment till it's done...
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    What works for me is to keep and healthy relationship of work vs videogames or other non work stuff.
    I personally can't focus on working 1 hour to play 1 hour, I'll be 1 hour working and thinking about the hour of play time that comes next and can't really seem to enjoy one or other thing.
    There were a lot of masterminds, Tesla, Mozart, Edison, that had different takes on keeping this healthy relation of work and fun.

Check this out: https://podio.com/site/creative-routines

Did it matter? As long as you get aware of the work hours that you need to get the work itching, you should be good.
    Personally I only play at the end of the day and after dinner, and try not to work after that, unless I'm doing something I really enjoy and wanna finish.
    But don't just ban games from your life, I'll be like trying to straighten out rough water with a flat iron. And I read somewhere, can you imagine a film director who doesn't watch other people's movies??
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    Playing games has always been my addiction, for example -  whenever i started playing Fallout 4. I say to myself lets play for one hour, and the one hour becomes four hours or more. Finally it came to two days with little breaks and skipping work, at that time i just uninstalled everything and sold my gaming card, bought an Quadro 4200 and told myself that my wife and my job is more important than playing Video games. I just can't control it, i cannot play games and be normal :)
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely spend much more time building games then actually playing them. Every once and a while a new game will come out (or I will find one I haven't played before) and I'll binge it until I complete it (usually SP games). However this isn't always super often. I'd say it maybe happens once every couple of months maybe.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be playing more games though, as being a game designer/level designer you should always be creating new gameplay and keeping up with whats going in the most recent titles. Its a bit weird to myself when I think about it.

I'd say I probably don't play as much games as I could be mostly because I'm also just burnt out from making them 24/7 too. A man needs a break from the computer. :)
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I still play games and try to make it no less than 6 hours per week but sometimes work carries me away and it's only 2-3 hours. I tend to focus solely on what I'm doing at the moment. And if you try to focus only on that instead of thinking of "what I could have done if I spent my time on productive things" you'll stop caring and will just enjoy the moment. Life is short, I want to enjoy it.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a little confused why anyone would want to work in the video game industry who doesn't live and breathe video games. Aren't there less notoriously volatile, exploitative, and competitive industries that employ 3D artists which would allow a better quality of life if the art is the only thing you care about? Serious question.

I play a lot less than I used to, but it's not due to re-prioritizing my life as much as less games coming out which fit into my interests. Most recently when Dark Souls 3 came out, everything in my free time went on hold to accommodate it because I think it's important to experience what I consider a peak artistic accomplishment in the medium I chose to devote my life to. Similarly with other great games I've played, my excitement for video game development and art creation was immediately reinvigorated and heightened.

I don't think it's possible for me to experience the same feeling just sitting in a vacuum of personal artistic accomplishment. That's not to say I don't get inspiration from other mediums like film or fine art, but the interactivity and agency of games colors the experience in a totally different way for me.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I'm a little confused why anyone would want to work in the video game industry who doesn't live and breathe video games. Aren't there less notoriously volatile, exploitative, and competitive industries that employ 3D artists which would allow a better quality of life if the art is the only thing you care about? Serious question.

I play a lot less than I used to, but it's not due to re-prioritizing my life as much as less games coming out which fit into my interests. Most recently when Dark Souls 3 came out, everything in my free time went on hold to accommodate it because I think it's important to experience what I consider a peak artistic accomplishment in the medium I chose to devote my life to. Similarly with other great games I've played, my excitement for video game development and art creation was immediately reinvigorated and heightened.

I don't think it's possible for me to experience the same feeling just sitting in a vacuum of personal artistic accomplishment. That's not to say I don't get inspiration from other mediums like film or fine art, but the interactivity and agency of games colors the experience in a totally different way for me.
    Exactly.

Why work in the games industry if you aren't playing games?

There are better industries to work in.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    fdfxd2 said:

Why work in the games industry if you aren't playing games?

That would be stereotyping.

• Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    @fdfxd2 and @DerekLeBrun

Well personally I don't play a lot of games. But here are some reasons why people would want to work in games but don't play a lot of them.

The workflow for films does not suit their taste. I enjoy seeing what I create in realtime, not through render times/alot of post work. Also games usually have allowances for crazier art direction. because you don't need to fit a design onto a real thing. I personally got interested in games because of the aesthetics more than anything else. 
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I'm somewhat shocked by the number of people here who say they're not playing games. I'm not going to criticize anyone for that, as I certainly understand how time consuming of a hobby it is and some people simply have no time to properly get into them.

However, I do have to disagree with the attitude of "I'm an artist, so I don't need to stay up to date with games, looking at portfolios is enough". I think that experiencing game art in the environment they are meant to be used is just as important as learning new production techniques. 

You could have a killer portfolio piece that overflows with detail and is beautiful to look at in a portoflio setting. However that does not mean it will necessarily make the player experience better. There is just so much more to games art than looking pretty. For example, does that ledge you're making look like a part of an environment, or an object that tells the player they can grab onto it? Does the environment you're making clearly show which areas work as cover or will it conflict visually with collisions of the level? Is the design/silhouette of your characters distinct enough for players to tell them apart at a distance in a scenario that requires quick response? 

Personally, I've been playing a lot of Overwatch lately and I'm greatly impressed not with just how pretty its art is, but also with how functional it is.  Similarly, I'm a huge Dark Souls geek and there is nothing more frustrating than fighting an enemy whos design doesn't properly communicate where its hitboxes are.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I agree wholeheartedly with @teaandcigarettes.
    I almost thought of it as a badge of honor not to play video games when I was working hard to get into the industry. And that may have been due to time restraints aswell, didn't really have time for much else than school and portfolio work. ^^ 

I don't judge anyone for not playing games. There are tons of reasons like not having the money or time. But to actively stay away from them as if that's a good thing is a bit weird to me.
    We're making games! Our assets only value is making the experience better for the player. If you can't put yourself in the shoes of the player I think that will impact your art in a negative way. Flow, composition and readability from all angles in real-time is something that portfolio or prop work never really prepared me for when it comes to environment art. I also think a crucial skill, in any creative field, is to analyse and reverse-engineer tricks from the competition. You can't do that from just looking at screenshots. 

On the other hand, no one should feel forced to play games. Playing games is by far the best way for me to get inspired and a means of relaxation ( Fuck horror games! :O ) and there's nothing I enjoy more in this world than playing a great game, where I have to chuckle at the pure brilliance. ^^ 

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well, I work in games because I love the art in games. The art in other industries does very little for me. But I don't care for the other aspects of most games.
    I'll buy a game just to play for an hour and look around at all the art. And that's what most games are to me. The exceptions being few, but they do exist.

As for "imagine a director who doesn't watch films" thing; a lot of great singer/songwriters/etc don't listen to much other music, a lot of great directors don't really watch other movies, and it goes on and on. For those sorts of people, seeing other examples of what they're trying to do only creates limiting boundaries for them. They see what they're "supposed to be", and it can be discouraging of what they "want to be". Instead, they consume other sorts of art and information, which informs their medium of choice from a different angle than if they just lived and breathed games/whatever.

I won't say it's better to play or not to play; but I will say it's not unheard of to not consume the media you make.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I wish I could. I don't even play my own.. I only check if it crashes in short notice :(
  • EricHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    I can't imagine not playing games anymore and only working on them. It's important to take a step back from the development process and just enjoy a game for what it is. If anything, gaming in my down time increases my drive for my own personal works. 
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with TeaandCigarettes here.

In my opinion, I strongly believe that you have to play video-games to be a good game developer. I see myself as a game-developer and not just "an artist" and I'd like to be treated as such. I would not recommend playing too much either obviously, you need to be able to keep up with latest standards and workflows as well, however, I still feel like you should at least play some games.

Experiencing tons of different games, genres , visual styles will only make you stronger in a production setting. You have a library of experiences, feelings and gameplays you can draw from when you're designing your own areas or trying to capture a certain feeling you had when playing a certain game. It also helps your co-workers immensely when you make functional art, instead of just art.

This said, I also believe there are some art-roles that require more and less involvement with gameplay. Me being an environment artist, I'm always smack in the middle during development. Talking to every department, planning whole levels, coordinating with level design, game design, sound, visual effects, tech etc , it's just good to have played most new games on the market to know the standards and also draw examples out of your mind from every experience even if it's outside of your "expertise". 

To me it's still a fantastic feeling that you're part of the whole thing and your're making a frickin game together!  It's badass.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I don't often play games, sure as hell don't keep up too much on modern gaming trends, all I tend to play a little RTS with a good friend of mine every other month, and tabletop simulator, just cause either boardgames with friends geographically far off or magic the gathering.

the latest games and modern competitive gaming just can't hold me, the perfect gaming experience for me as an adult is something like hotline miami or faster than light, something I love and enjoy and can complete on the weekend.
  • FireBat12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FireBat12 vertex
    I'm in my last month of college and i love games though i don't play anywhere as much as i used to. I manly game right now because all of my best friends that i have known for like 6 year are in america (I'm from Canada) and gaming is the only way I can vent out my stress and spend time with the people I care about. I do believe that in order to progress my skills I will have to spend less time gaming and I'm fine with that as long as i still give my self time every 1-2 days(A few hours a day) to relax and "reset" my brain. I don't believe its a bad thing to love games and work on games, models, animations etc. However I do believe that you need to find a balance between getting work done and gaming, getting work done should always take more time though(if that makes sense with what i said about balance).
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Yeah, I've been noticing that I'm nearly at the point where I don't play games anymore. With my 9-5 job, freelance, and plans for personal projects, I don't really have a lot of free time. Besides, making 3d models is like playing terraria/minecraft, only more fun :pleased: