Home Technical Talk

Upgrading or building a new PC? This is the thread for you!

Replies

• xblastradiusx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xblastradiusx polycounter lvl 16
    1500 at the maximum.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I think an rtx 2070 super would be a good choice considering that you want to use it mostly for real time workload. Paired with some 3rd gen ryzen cpu. No need for many cores for this type of workload. No need for insane amount of ram either. This could easily fit the 1500 $ budget.
  • xblastradiusx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xblastradiusx polycounter lvl 16
    Excellent ill research that more and thanks for the quick response!

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    https://www.logicalincrements.com/ has a $1500 RTX 2070 Super build outlined already. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    @xblastradiusx You should really read the threads first post, it goes over everything you need to know and even has a few recommended builds at the bottom.
  • carrottoptw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carrottoptw polycounter lvl 4
    Hey.... so I'm at the stage where I really need to upgrade my modest i7 6700k 4 core to something better and speed up my look dev work.  Was looking into either the 1950x or the 2920x threadrippers.  The 2920x is a couple of hundred pounds cheaper which makes it look more attractive than the more expensive 1950x which is obviously more expensive as its on "very limited stock".

The 1950x is 16 core/24 threads which obviously is a bonus on paper but the 2920x is 12 core/24 thread and cheaper.  Was wondering what would be better to get, the 1st gen more cores or 2nd gen less cores, would the 2nd gen be better than the 1st?  Or would there be not a lot of difference in it all?
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    What about the price for the Ryzen 3900? it performs a bit better than those old theradrippers and you would probably have to spend less in psu and motherboard too. 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2950X/3493vs3316
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3900x is both cheaper and about about 15% faster then the 2920x (or about 20-25% faster then a 1950x). It also uses less power then either of those threadripper cpus, and runs on a motherboard socket that is still in use (AM4 has at least 1 CPU generation left before AM5, while those threadripper CPUs use TR4 while newer Threadripper cpus use TRX4). So unless you REALLY need the extra PCI-E lanes provided by the Threadripper, it's best to avoid them and go with something newer.
  • carrottoptw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carrottoptw polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks @Udjani and @PolyHertz for the fantastic advice!  I didn't even think to look at the 3900x.  Everyone I'd asked just used the threadripper so it never came up!  Will get one of them

• lsebastian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lsebastian polycounter lvl 3
    Jaykrass said:
    How good would the minimum spec be with Zbrush, Unreal Engine and Substance designer/painter??
    Depend...how many file copy you store, how big are scene...i have separated partition about 150GB (half empty...) 3ds max/zbrush/photoshop file take about 400mb, .obj file can store 2GB ... If you ask about memory space, i have 24 GB and its some time low for zbrush, when you want add high deatal, but olways you can split object on small piece, but its some time a bit confused and 
    uncomfortable. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    For my work I need to seriously boost the Eevee viewport in Blender, looking for maximum impact here and don't want to wait around for the next GPU generation to become available.

RTX 2080 Ti it is then - now I'm wondering which one to go for - I'd like something that isn't noisy or hot running as far as this kind of GPU goes and is backed up by a reasonable warranty. I have my sights set on the 'Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti RoG Strix' which seems to fare well in reviews and is easy to source.
    Just wondering if there are other cards of this class I should pay attention to.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ASUS Strix series are great cards, I think you'll be happy with that one :)
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    PolyHertz said:
    The ASUS Strix series are great cards, I think you'll be happy with that one :)

+1, working really well :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Thanks guys, no really: thanks for confirming that my wallet is going to suffer!

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys how is everybody doing? Hope you are all staying safe!!
    I have decided that it is good time to upgrade my work pc and would appreciate someone having a look at what i have picked in case something is totally off :)

I am 3d character artist mostly working with hair as of lately so not really pushing the limits here. Even with my current very old pc I am able to perform all my tasks but decided to speed it up a bit if  I can so going for more of a budget build/lower end pc configuration.
    Mostly using 3ds Max, Zbrush, Maya, and UE4 but really simple tasks so far.

Gonna keep the old case I have and GPU : gtx960 4gb  and the SSD drives
    So here is what I have:

Thinking about actually building this myself this time :) hope i dont break the entire thing with my clupsy fingers.
    Thanks guys.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski I'd replace the PSU with this one (Gold rated instead of bronze, 5 stars on newegg instead of 4, 30W more power, and only costs $5 over the one you have selected), but otherwise everything there looks fine.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks for checking this out man.
  • Summoned88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Summoned88 polycounter lvl 2
    disanski 
    I would even consider a 750W+ Gold psu for a future, this mobo can handle even a 3950X (im using this setup) but 600W may be not enough with a powerful gpu card

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Summoned88 . I was wondering if it would be able to handle this cpu.  I am currently running gtx 960 4 gb, not sure if I would be pushing this much further for work pc- I dont really play games on  my work pc :) . Thanks tho.
  • Iziaky01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iziaky01 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello fellow artists!
    I'm a 3d artist, and in the near future wanna update may current PC setup (https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/R2QQgJ) with these components:
    https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/h93JPn

Software: Maya, Photoshop, Marmoset Toolbag, Zbrush, Unreal Engine, Marvelous Designer and Gaming.
    Any advice? Something I could change?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Iziaky01 Looks good overall. If your PSU is over 5 years old you may want to consider buying a new one too. Bronze rated power supplies (like the one you listed) generally are only rated to last 5 years before their warranty expires.
  • Summoned88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also be aware this motherboard is bad. For this Cpu is ok, but if you will to upgrade to 3900x/3950x vrm section can melt. there is a youtube video from hardware unboxed about good and bad x570 motherboards. check it out
  • Iziaky01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    @Iziaky01 Looks good overall. If your PSU is over 5 years old you may want to consider buying a new one too. Bronze rated power supplies (like the one you listed) generally are only rated to last 5 years before their warranty expires.

The 850W Corsair TX you see there was added to the system 1 year ago, but yes...I know that bronze is not the safest, after the upgrade I will change even that one.
    Also be aware this motherboard is bad. For this Cpu is ok, but if you will to upgrade to 3900x/3950x vrm section can melt. there is a youtube video from hardware unboxed about good and bad x570 motherboards. check it out
    Dude thanks a lot, saw the video and yeah...had an idea to change the 3800x for a 3900x and this motherboard can give me trouble. I'm looking for something that last and I can upgrade in the future.
    I've edited the parts list:
    https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/W3zJPn

I'm not sure about the 3900x, will see the price variation in the next time. The price of the RAM is not right, it got up right now, will definitely be back to normal in the next days.

• Summoned88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. I dont know this Sabrent manufacturer. Usually 500gb is ok for system + software. Mi highly reccomend Samsung drives becouse of reliability and general quality. you can maybe buy a second normal SSD 1TB drive for another software and often use resources (textures/models etc).

2. Ram prices are not going down very soon. I bought same kit (black) for about 200eur from small shop and it was their last kit available.

Rest seems fine, 3900X is a great cpu. this cooler should be ok but keep in mind that 3900X runs hotter then 3950X due to different chiplet implementation. 

something like this? https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/yWDtsk

• Iziaky01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. I dont know this Sabrent manufacturer. Usually 500gb is ok for system + software. Mi highly reccomend Samsung drives becouse of reliability and general quality. you can maybe buy a second normal SSD 1TB drive for another software and often use resources (textures/models etc).

2. Ram prices are not going down very soon. I bought same kit (black) for about 200eur from small shop and it was their last kit available.

Rest seems fine, 3900X is a great cpu. this cooler should be ok but keep in mind that 3900X runs hotter then 3950X due to different chiplet implementation. 

something like this? https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/yWDtsk

Wow thanks man!
    RAM: Instead of the RGB (don't care much about rbg) found this:
    https://it.pcpartpicker.com/product/P2x2FT/gskill-trident-z-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c17d-32gtzkw
    same voltage, same timings, only 50euros cheaper on amazon.

STORAGE: Not so into Toshiba o ADATA, but will keep an eye on the price Samsung EVO 970 Plus 500gb M.2  on amazon, not a bad idea.

CASE: Thanks for the advice, looks clean and elegant like I want it.

• Summoned88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iziaky01 
    I picked a random cheap case with a front mesh, it is important if you cant buy a case which supports 360mm rad on top, you need a meshed front to install it. 
    This ram you picked is very good

Toshiba was a great kompany years ago, i dont know how they do now, also im not an expert in hdd drives, Adata is growing company and their products are quite good for the price as they want to take some marketshare.

Generally:
    1. 3900X needs a top tier air cooler or at least 360mm AIO cooler
    2. drives are up to you, you can salvage some from your current build to save some bucks
    3. dont waste money on high capasity m.2 ,ssds are more then enough
    4. deep dive into software you are using, estimate if you need more CPU or More GPU power for you software. Find some comaprison in performance on different platforms. Maybe you dont need 12 cores at this moment.
     if you find that GPU is more important then CPU - buy 3700X instead and save some money for powerfull GPU card

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    It's 2020 now,
    Is dual monitor setup still better than ultrawide ?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yes dual monitors are still generally a better option, unless you really love watching movies, playing racing games or cockpit experiences. 
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD said:
    Yes dual monitors are still generally a better option, unless you really love watching movies, playing racing games or cockpit experiences. 
    Thanks!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Re: monitors I found I very much prefer Ultrawide: More flexibility in window arrangement, no annoying 'break' in the display, no color mismatch between displays (might just be mine though), comparably lower power use than two devices and less space occupied on the desktop - e.g. less cabling and only one foot in the way.

GPU-related question: what to do about a slightly sagging card? When I replaced my old 1070 GTX I noticed that after those four or so years it was sitting at a bit of an angle in the case - the replacement card is an even heavier, bulkier 2080 Ti. Are there any support braces or the like to keep the far end of the card in place? Can't imagine the PCI slot being too excited about extra weight.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea there are a bunch of support braces for GPUs you can buy, just take your pick: https://www.amazon.com/gpu-support-bracket/s?k=gpu+support+bracket
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    We got some RTX 2070 in our current workstations and bought one to upgrade a old one. We forgot to put this brace, since it only looked like something cosmetic. The RTX 2070 died some weeks later. After we got it out of the case it was bent like a banana...

TL;DR: If a card is huge and has a support brace, use it!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yeah the ROG Strix 2080 Ti is the biggest card I've ever handled. Actually a real pain to get into the case in the first place. I'll definitely grab one of these GPU 'stands' to prop it up.

For now I've wedged an old Wacom inking pen underneath - that's the ballpoint one - first time in like 15 years this thing actually became useful. :)

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thomasp said:
    For now I've wedged an old Wacom inking pen underneath - that's the ballpoint one - first time in like 15 years this thing actually became useful. :) 

You made my day.. :lol:
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    rollin said:
    You made my day.. :lol:
    It's what I'd call a long term investment. It'll go back to collecting dust soon though since I ordered a GPU stand from Cooler Master now.

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM to a faster speed and possibly 64GB what's the current recommend spec for DDR4 speed and should I bother going for more RAM than 32? I use Zbrush, Maya, do some video editing(probably going to do more soon), Substance Suite and I do like simulation stuff.

Current speed on my RAM is 2400 at 32GB

Would it be more beneficial to just grab another couple of sticks at the same speed or replace the ones that I have now?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AMD CPUs will benefit a lot more from fast RAM then Intel ones, so how fast you will want depends on your CPU.
    As for doubling your RAM, have you been maxing out what you currently have ? Just watch task manager and if you're running out of RAM normally then it'd be worth upgrading, but if you're not using it all up or getting very close then there's no point in loading up on more.
  • polygondwanaland
    Hi there, I'm trying to build a new pc (budget $5000/$5500 AUD [$3200/$3500 USD]). What do you reckon about this setup? 
    I'm not sure about the monitor, also should I get a dual GPU (maybe two GeForce 2070 Super) and a cheaper CPU (maybe a AMD Threadripper 1920X) if I'm going to use software such as Substance Designer, Zbrush, Cinema 4D, Redshift or this setup is going to be good enough?
    Thanks!
    (Prices in the screenshot are in Australian Dollar) 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygondwanaland Just fyi we're about 3-4 months away from the next generation of GPUs being released which are supposed to be about 4x faster at raytracing then the current ones. So if you can I'd wait on spending that kind of money, at least on the GPU (new CPUs will be out too around then, but those wont get more then a 15-20% improvement so they're not as important).

Otherwise, build looks good. :)
  • polygondwanaland
    Thank you for the quick reply! 4x faster at raytracing?! They're going to be pretty expensive tho, aren't they?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Price should be about the same or lower then current cards. The 2000 series was roughly double the price of the 1000 series because nvidia was trying to recoup losses on raytracing R&D (an 'early adopter tax' if you will) plus the crypto currency boom that cause 1000 series cards to become massively over valued just before the 2000 series launch.

And yea, the 3000 series should absolutely crush the 2000 series when it comes to raytracing hardware (benefits of being the first major revision of a new technology).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got new dual monitors for WFH. Old monitors were starting to fail.

ASUS PB278QV 27" 1440p IPS 100% sRGB, etc. Pretty nice. I wish the bezels were smaller, but really not a problem. The stands are super solid, rotate/height/tilt, and no wiggles. Great connection options. No dead pixels. I used X-Rite ColorMunki Smile to calibrate, good pictures.

Thanks for keeping the guides here up to date!
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    So usually i could figure these stuff out for meself. BUT.. I have a curved monitor and never had one before, this one is tricky.

I Owe a

Samsung Gaming CJG50 Monitor

It's a 32 inch monitor and i've never set up a monitor with an arm before, is it recommended to do it with a curved screen? and do you guys know a good arm for that?

It weights about 6 kg = 12,8 pounds

Why i want to do this? My Desk is deep, but the legs on this monitor are just HUGE, they take up too much space.

• BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    Hello guys, so i have a few doubts about the build i am making and i would really love to get some opinions. 
    I mainly do game characters so i will use softwares like zbrush, painter, marmoset, marvelous etc, etc..  do you think the cpu will be enough or should i  buy something different? 

For the video card i am waiting the new ones from nvidia!
    Here it Is: 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BestiART Not seeing any problems with it. Looks good :) 
  • BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz
    actually i changed the build cause on many forums they suggested me to buy amd for different reasons and i would really appreciate some opinions on that one too, here is the new build:

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BestiART Yea AMD CPUs are the better buys if you want 12 or more cores (though obviously you're spending more then with your previous build). The Ryzen 4000 series desktop CPUs are expected to release in September or October, so if you're going AMD it might be worth waiting just a bit longer for those.
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    PolyHertz said:
    Price should be about the same or lower then current cards. The 2000 series was roughly double the price of the 1000 series because nvidia was trying to recoup losses on raytracing R&D (an 'early adopter tax' if you will) plus the crypto currency boom that cause 1000 series cards to become massively over valued just before the 2000 series launch.

And yea, the 3000 series should absolutely crush the 2000 series when it comes to raytracing hardware (benefits of being the first major revision of a new technology).
    Well, given the effect the pandemic has had on the economy which, let's face it, will be with us for a long time to come; prices aren't getting any lower as availability is being stymied by increased delays with shipping from China. In fact, costs have been steadily increasing (at least here in North America) with some PC components still out of stock on Amazon. I am not confident at all with the prospect that the 3000 series of cards will be that much cheaper than the 2000 series.

I'm sure Nvidia is happy with this new normal.
  • BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    @BestiART Yea AMD CPUs are the better buys if you want 12 or more cores (though obviously you're spending more then with your previous build). The Ryzen 4000 series desktop CPUs are expected to release in September or October, so if you're going AMD it might be worth waiting just a bit longer for those.
    ok, at the end i have to wait the ampere cards from nvidia so i will probably do the same for the amd cpus, thanks!.. do you think 32 gb are enough for what i need to do?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    32GB are enough for modeling and texturing. If you need todo crazy simulation work in Houdini i would go for as much RAM as you can.
    Just make sure you have 2gb per CPU Thread. Otherwise your CPU does get slowed down.