Home Technical Talk

What GPU should I get?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
DanaosC polycounter lvl 5
Hello beautiful community of Polycount! Recently my GTX 650 got fried but it was about time to get a new GPU.
Our tech guy suggested us the GeForce GTX 750 Ti, but I am totally illiterate when it comes to tech stuff, so I thought I'd ask here. How's that card or do you have something else to suggest?
My budget is about 200$ and I'd like it to handle programs like Zbrush, Substance Painter. xNormal without getting fried. Maybe some games like OW and LoL but that's not the priority.
The current rig has an i7 CPU and 16 gb ram. Not sure if these info are enough so feel free to ask me anything more.

Thanks for your time lads! Have a nice day :)

Replies

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Zbrush doesn't use GPU too much,
    Substance Painter from what I've read here on PC is quite demanding in terms of GPU and people have problems using it, even with a 970.

200$ probably won't get you a card that you'll be fully satisfied with, but if you're dead set on this amount I'd go with a 
    GTX 960 4GB or an R9 380 if you find one for that price.

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    frmdbl said:
    Zbrush doesn't use GPU too much,
    Substance Painter from what I've read here on PC is quite demanding in terms of GPU and people have problems using it, even with a 970.

200$ probably won't get you a card that you'll be fully satisfied with, but if you're dead set on this amount I'd go with a 
    GTX 960 4GB or an R9 380 if you find one for that price.

From what I have heard, the 970 only has a problem because of the problems with its last 500MB of RAM. My 970 has not really ran into any issues with Substance Painter so far however.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    The new radeon rx 480 is a solid deal and has 8gb of memory for 239
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thank you for you suggestions. I should mention that I'd like an Nvidia one as I'm used to them.
    My budget is kind of tight so I really cant go above 220$ or so. Currently the GTX 960 is a good option I guess, but any more insight is greatly appreciated!
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    If you can squeeze out an extra 30 bucks, the 1060 was just announced - which should perform about equal to a 980 for around $250. 
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    ^  This. Mow some lawns and get the extra bucks for the GTX 1060.  "Probably" the best bang for the buck at the moment. :)
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Mow some lawns" I love that phrase in the context :')
    So yeah sounds like my best plan is to do that, thanks everyone! Much appreciated!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Expect 1060 to be 300, or even more if youre in europe. We have seen how the MSRP turned out with the 1080/1070s.