Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

30 Day Sculpting Challenge Feedback Wanted (nsfw)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Grey_Rift polycounter lvl 11

Hey guys ,

So basicly in my opinion my sculpting sucks I'm really bad at anatomy. And my speed is not at the pace I want it. I was trying to make awesome sculpts but it would take me so much time and so much tweaking to get the result I wanted. So to push myself I put a challenge up for myself where I need to sculpt for 30 days ( at least) every day a new sculpt starting from a sphere. With this I hope to understand anatomy more and get more used to sculpting. Which will in term help me improve my bigger projects.

So this is day 1:

I was really struggling to get the anatomy right also because I wasn't using any symmetry. I spend about an1h30 on this starting from a sphere. The sculpt was based on this reference:

I know that there are still a lott of differences but the goal is to get as much done in under 2h or less.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you're prioritizing on anatomy, do NOT allow speed into the mix.

Just make sure you get good anatomy.

Speed comes in time.  Just make sure you focus on actually spending a lot of time on making sure you nail your anatomy down.

Also, don't use red wax matcap for default view.  It's not a very neutral matcap.
  • Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brian thx for the tips you are definitivly right about the time. Will keep that in mind
    This time I used the basic material which definitivly feels a lott better. if you have any other materials you could recommend feel free to.

Today's sculpt I mainly had problems with the face. In the end I ended spending less time on it then intended. In the end I feel I had a lott better result then yesterday but this has probably something to do with the fact that this model was more symetric.
    But hey I made it to day 02 :awesome:

I really like the pose of this model I might define this model more later this month. as an extra exercise on definition. My main goal for the first week is to get the main poses and muscles good. Later I want to focus on defining specific body parts.

Here is the Ref for today:

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    my anatomy knowledge is not the best, but I did a quick draw over of the things that stood out on your model.
  • braintrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    braintrain polycounter lvl 7
    I am currently learning human anatomy as well so I have huge respect for your challenge. Sculpting a body a day is a huge task!
    Though I am not good enough to critique you I will definitely follow your progress. Wish you a lot of endurance!
  • Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys all thx for you feedback on this,

So the weekend came fridays and saturdays are most of the time pretty hectic to reserve time for the sculpting but sunday evening are allways a good day to rewind and prepare for the next week. So new day new sculpt.

Here is the sculpt:

this is the first full body that I'm doing the thing is when you do a full body it requires more time so this really feels incomplete if you would compare it to the previous sculpt. The other thing is the assymetry nothing in this sculpt is symmetric. Not even the face was symmetrical anymore because I changed the position.

This is something that I can fix and will do in the future. I love the dynamic pose of this sculpt it is not there fully yet. I would need to put more time in it. In my challenge I had a planning in my head where I would do 1 week all human bodies based on a random picture that I find on this website http://reference.sketchdaily.net/nl/ or this website http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/.

2nd week would be more focus doing the same but maybe creatures. and 3rd en 4th week would be where I would revit a sculpt to finish it or make a study on a specific bodypart and make it as detailled as possible.
    Nothing is set in stone these topics can totally change as long as I sculpt around 1hour and a half to 2hours or more a day excluding weekends. I pass my own challenge.

To move on from this is is the reference. I really love this pose but the muscle groups that are not visible are still really hard to define for me. I am using a book called Anatomy for sculptors which is my main reference which helps me a lott.

And again thx for the comments all the info and feedback that you give helps me for the next sculpt. I read everything and try to put it into the next sculpt every time.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another day another sculpt

This time I again did the full body but the main difference is that I deleted the parts that were not finished which makes the overall model look better. All though this pose is a tiny bit wierd :pleased: . Today I spent most of my time of the sculpt in the first subdivision. Making all the main shapes I could untill I really needed to go up to define more muscles to the sculpt. slowly I am getting the hang of sculpting certain muscle groups faster. But I still really struggle with the arms and the shoulders. And also with assymetry. But the assymetry is really good for exercise to really get the know the muscle group in which way it behaves under certain movements.

Here is the ref:

I want to start reserving more time for doing these sculpts to get a better result in the end but this is not allways an easy thing. But tommorow is another day and another sculpt.

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I'm going to echo Brian here and say spend a couple of days on each sculpt instead of rushing through into a new one every day. That way you can spend time really trying to identify where you're going wrong and fixing problems that people here can point out to you. Going fast won't make you faster, understanding what you're doing will.

Also trying to sculpt an a-symmetrical figure right off the bat is going to introduce way too much into the mix way too quickly imo, making an already hard task exponentially harder. Personally i would focus on your muscle knowledge and placing them correctly rather than just making bumps on your model where you see them on the reference. Break it down into the torso, arms, legs, hands, feet etc. Do longer studies of each piece, aiming for 100% accuracy, THEN compile your knowledge into a full figure sculpt, like what you're doing here. You'll see much better and faster progress imo!

That's my 2c anyway. You've got the right attitude regardless of how you approach it. Keep on pushing man, anatomy is hard shit.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback you are totally right in a way. Week 1 is for me an exercise more on building the mainshapes. Which is getting better every time. After Day 7 it will be longer studies and I will reserve more time for each study. The assymetry is super hard but I personally think I would just need to put more time in those. And they would work out the same way.

For the reference every time I am sculpting I go throug a book called anatomy for sculptors. And for each part I want to sculpt I go through the book and try to understand how that specific muscle is moving. I am putting the ref up to show how far or close I am off.
    Thank you for the feedback I guess I need to focus less on time but more on precision. I'm maybe a bit stubborn but let me try 2 more days and then I will move on to sculpting specific body parts and do closer studies.

Here is the sculpt for today:

Today I was running a bit short on time. So I pushed what I had in me. Again I first made a full body but eventually cut it down to where I was putting detail.

And here is the ref:

Thx guys for all the feedback. The reason I started this challenge was because I was doing a sculpt that I wanted to do and I was failing. Then I just wanted to throw several techniques to the wall and see what works best for me. Maybe going for a full body assymetric right of the bat is not the right way. But I'm having fun with this anyway and even though this is just day 05 I allready have the feeling that I'm getting the main shapes faster in place.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys it's getting better and I actually think I am getting faster today I wasn't really feeling up to sculpting. Again super tired I really need more sleep I'm doing to much. There is not enough time in a day. But I started with the thought of just making a really fast sculpt of about 40 min but eventually ended up sculpting 1u40m. When I'm sculpting I just get excited and more awake and just see everytime more stuff that I want to adjust. And eventually I just keep going untill I reach a point where I say shit is it that late I really need to go to bed.

So here is today's sculpt I'm quite happy with this one.

And here is the Ref:

I'm not really focusing on sculpting women but for the most part the women just have more interesting poses from the site that I'm using. Will probably try to go for a male tommorow.
  • Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today was a hard one I again started with the full body and cut the parts that had no detail away at the end. It's really hard to get a full human body figure. The torso is getting easier and the parts around it as well. But when the body pose is far stretched from a T-pos and the arms are close to the body it's really hard adjusting that geometry and getting it right. Today I put everything in smoothing groups because I felt I had to. This is the last day where i'm doing full body sculpt even though I'm not actually posting the full body. Only the detailed parts. But now I will just try to focus on body parts and try to put more detail in them. I am not looking forward to feed xD

So here's today's sculpt:

Was A really difficult pose especially with the arm around his back. I tried to get it in there but didn't get enough detail into the arm.
    Here's the Ref:

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    So starting today I started sculpting more a specific body part which was still a lot harder than I expected I eventually spent 1 and a half hour on this sculpt. To me the base is there but there are still a lott of faults. Tommorow I will probably do an overpaint of the sculpt and then try redefining this one again.

Here's the Sculpt:

And here is the ref:

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting hands is hard :( and I have a feeling that feet will be even worse xD

Ref:

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today I gave the hand another shot. This time tried a different technique. Yesterday I tried building the hand with polyspheres.  Today I tried building a hand with basic primitives. In the end it did not work that much better. I guess I will just need to practise more ^^.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoop Whoop made it to still struggling a bit. Usually the big shapes work out okay. But when I try to get into the details it get's a lott harder. I will probably invest some time into finding some new materials. Which should help in a way if anybody knows some let me know definitially.

Here's today's Sculpt:

And Here is my Ref:

Now I'm going on a weekend trip So won't be back untill monday. And monday is depending on when I come home. I will do another.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a super awesome long weekend. Traveled a bit but now it's time to get back into sculpting so here's today Sculpt.

I used several Ref Images but this was the main:

Tommorow more sculpting. Feel free to give feedback and critics.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I'm quite happy with the result. I was postponing feet for some time because It really felt difficult. Because I've never really spent much time on drawing or sculpting feet. But I think the reason I am quite happy with the result is that the feet are probably the thing that most differ on the human body. Nobody ever has the same toes or nails. All feet have a similar base but still they differ a lott I think.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's Another try at a foot.

This one feels like it worked ot better but still the main shape need work.  The twist of a foot is something that is not that easy.

Here is the Ref:

I wanted to spent more time on the toes but time ran out a bit sadly.

Since I've reached the two week mark. I will mainly switch over to faces. Maybe I will put other body parts in there. But now I want to focuss more on faces/ Busts.

• mfrederick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mfrederick greentooth
    Great work, you can already tell there's quite a bit of improvement from the start of this thread.  

I'm definitely no expert with anatomy, but I think one piece of advice that I've tried to take to heart that has helped me a lot is: focus on really simple overall curves and lines to get the proportions spot on before moving into the details.  If you take a similar approach to blocking out the shape as you would with quick life drawing sketches, everything else will fall into place much easier.
  • Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Another Day Another sculpt really tired today so will keep it short.

Ref:

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting a likeness is harder than I thought. I will spend 2 or 3 days on this sculpts because the head is a lott more complex than the rest of the human body.

Btw thx for the feedback  mfrederick. I usually try to block as much as I can before I go higher in subdivision. But I think I need to go more back and forth because later in then sculpt. I'm still making big adjustements in the big form because I suddenly see things that I did not saw before. Which sometimes makes me loose those curves.
    Definitivly will try to keep it in mind.

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would really recommend sculpting in a neutral standing pose instead of posing refs, because you do not understand how the muscles connect and make the forms that way yet. It is overwhelming for starters and the asymmetry adds on to the difficulty. Take it simple, one step at a time.
  • KurtPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtPoly polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Grey_Rift. Loving your progress, and keep it up. Just a tip, I know you're doing daily sculpts, but when it comes to anatomy, each part needs full commitment. I started off with the skull while learning the terminology, helps a lot :) Maybe after your 30 day challenge, fully commit to one part of the body: head to toe. 
  • Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's so awesome that i'm getting feedback from you guys.
    - happybell I kind off agree with you. If I would be focussing on a neutral pose for 30 days straight. I would get it correct a lott faster. But in my opinion after a while that would get really boring. It's fun to da assymetry and gives a challenge. Also in my opinion a muscle can look so different depending on the movement.
    - KurtPoly Yes it's true and I really realised this during this challenge. But I didn't wanted to give up the challenge. This is something I will probably be focussing on afterwards. But on the other hand I'm trying to spend some more time on the same sculpt in hopes of getting a better result. I hope this helps aswell. But yes more specific studies will definitively help. Thanks for the feedback :D.

So today I continued to work on the sculpt of yesterday. still didn't go that high in subdivision. Really trying to get the main shapes right as a lott of people suggested me here.

Even though i'm keeping the sculpts up everyday I'm a bit dissapointed that the last few days I'm having less time to spend on the sculpting. Which is sadly lowering the quality of the sculpts. Will try to find more time during the day to spend on the sculpts. Will probably try to include my lunchbreaks into sculpting.

Tommorow is the last day that I will spend on this sculpt and then I will focus on a female face. Should be fun :D And after that I guess I will try to go for a full body sculpt. But define each piece and give it as much detail as possible.

And again really thanks for the feedback guys and gals.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Everytime I'm getting a bit closer but a face has so many subtilties to move around to get the right shape. I read somewhere that It's a good idea to change up your materials from time to time. I really want to finish this one at some point don't know yet if I will continue or start a new sculpt.

• Grey_Rift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly enough I will need to put the sculpting challenge on hold for a few days for now. Right now I have a possible new client and will need to put all my time and effort in this. while combining this with a daytime job in the game industry. I need to deliver a project by sunday so maybe after that I will find time again to sculpt but for the moment the challenge is on hold.