Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review - - feedback

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Ra6ga5ka polycounter lvl 9
Hey,

I think I need some kind of guidance and Feedback. I want to apply to another Company somewere outside of Germany and i have no idear how to Show my skills with my Portfolio..
About me: I am a 3D generalist with 5 years of experience in the games industry. i modeling stuff, write shader, animate, work with a lot of Tools and know how to handle them. I am really good in finding good sollution and Workflows becouse of my deep Knowledge about tools, engines, 3D modelling, textures and shaders. 

I am thankful for all feedback, idears and help to improve my portfolio.

Ra6gaska

Portfolio

[Edit]
Last post is the newes post. scroll down!

Replies

• Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to move the characters part out for now becouse i dont have a propper character at the moment. and i need to add the substance logos to my texturepreviews.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Hi,
    to be honest I find your portfolio kind of confusing when talking about the layout/structure and useability of the website.
    You only show very little in terms of art (just some textures and a container).
    Most of the time it's more useful to concentrate on one role than beeing a generalist.
    For me, personally, it's actually really hard to say anything more than this because of the lack of content you're presenting.

"i modeling stuff, write shader, animate, work with a lot of Tools and know how to handle them."

Maybe show some animations you did? And show the stuff you modeled (I guess there's more than the container).

(you also have some typos in your texts)

• Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totaly agree with you and thank you for the feedback. I am not shure if my work in this case is good enough I am not happy with the result. Creating mobilegames is really 80% and thats it, there is no time to push the limits. but I think there is no way around of creating at least one environment that covers all my skills. i think this will take a lot of time but there is no way around. really thank you for the feedback.

whats about the typos? you mean the written stuff?
    And how i should structure my website? Maybe it is confusing becouse I dont know yet or have a plan how to setup the website that no one gets confused and also shows my main strenght.
  • dand3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dand3d polycounter lvl 11
    So, I have to say this portfolio is very messy...
    The first thing I clicked on took me back to the main page... Your biggest image the thing I first saw was just a link to bring me back to the main page.
    Next nothing is centered, this might be a personal preference for me but if you only have two links to work on your portfolio center them as your site will look less empty.

Are those project professional? Then call them Professional not .projects. So when I went to that link I was told what you worked on... Don't ever Tell us what you did on a project Show us. The only time you should tell us something about the model/animation/texture ect ect is if you did not do all of the work your self, as in I did the animations but the model was done by so in so. With that said get rid of the video of the game and show us what you did. If I worked on a game as a character artist and only show the video of the game that does not let the potential employers what I can do, they can assume from either I did the main character or the background characters. 

Also you title your self as a 3d artist... but I honestly can only see one model you I am assuming made the packing crates, which are the same model with a simple color swap. Where are the rest of your models?

I am sorry if this came off as negative or mean, but I hope the info will help a bit.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Very bad, here's some bullet point thoughts from me in the order I had them:

1. The first thing I see is a full-wide banner of some work - some decent but uninspiring shipping containers - clicking them reloads the page. What's the point in this image? to take you to the main page? How about having 'Robin Schmidt Portfolio' title text take you there instead and just get rid of this needless header.

2. You do not want people clicking through pages, you've got about 20 seconds of an employer's time at maximum, and they'll make their decision on how good you are on the first bit of work they see, and never visit the other pages. Get your best work all on one page and have anything else accessible from there, and everything accessible from everywhere else. Dont have anyone go more than a page away from root.

3. Im on the environment page at the moment - first thing I notice is the stylised grass which I've seen a tutorial for. Don't include tutorial stuff, it turns us off - it shows us you've spent, maybe a day or two following a video and that's what you have to show? I'd have expected you to then spend at least another day doing your own piece inspired by what you learned and include that instead, you know? If you really learned much from the tutorial you should be able to.
    Beyond that, I get that the others are material showcases but the vase-like object you're using to display them really messes with the sense of scale and the presentation in general. If you must keep it, remove the top piece and just have the gold base. Really though if you're an environment artist, I'd expect to see an environment. 

4. Going back and then to the projects page I see no work at all. Skimming through the text I get the sense that you basically imported and converted assets - I would really summarise your involvement in both projects down to one paragraph with the two game logos presented cleanly and small below the text. Then, to replace the lack of demonstrable assets do some writing about the things you've done. ideally just get some images, show the process maybe. Go get permission from your previous employers if you can.

5. Remember portfolios demonstrate the best that you can do right now, and if that's a tutorial, some substance and some text then maybe you would be better off changing your site to a blog for now, where you write about your progress, because presenting this atm i think is doing you more damage than good.

I've been super brutal, but its for the best reasons :)
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thanks for that good Feedback.. now i know that i am really in the wrong track...
    And thanks that you mentioned that tutorial .. I made that tutorial ;-) maybe that was not clear enough.
    Thanks for that really good Feedback and I like that hard direct Feedback it helps much more.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    There is very little content , and very little breakdowns of anything. I would scrap the layout start with building some solid assets before worrying about a website  
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it better to delete my professional work page as Long as I haven't collect and prepared my stuff from the Projects? Or just delete the text and leave my positions and the Trailer. it is hard to Show what you have done for mobile with unity when you can do crazy stuff with Unreal and Cryengine for PC/Console. I think i will Keep the Substances on the page and will prepare an Environment in Unreal and create some assets and stuff.
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skyline5gtr should i add breakdowns/ wireframe/ texturesheets ect. to my Portfolio? and how is the best way to Transport my technical Knowledge in Pictures?
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Haha I had an inkling -- show breakdowns and stuff man!
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will now go on and start a environment scene and will document every step so that i have an awesome breakdown in the end and some final scene to show.
    cYa in a few month and thanks for that feedback as soon I have some things to show I will publish it on this page.
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

something new :-)
    Feedback is always welcome.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree its a little all over the place, also noticed some of the images take a few seconds to fully load not sure if that's because the images are massive or slow servers. The presentation for the substance stuff is pretty random too, find a consistent way to display them all. The substance and unreal logo in that latest shot are massive and look really out of place, the image its self is also kind of odd why are you blending them together they look like pretty decent materials but they don't go together at all, why would the bricks be paper thin and have concrete behind them?

The gold display thing I would just get rid of too for the other substances, it adds nothing and takes away from the materials themselves. For the professional work I would post screenshots of the assets you made rather than a long gameplay video as no one is going to have time to watch it and it does not make clear what stuff you actually made.

You might be better starting the site from scratch and maybe use a better solution than wordpress. Sorry if I sounded a little harsh at times, but I think you actually have some really good content just need to show it better! :)
  • Thessera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thessera vertex
    There is absolutely no  clue about what'' you're doing/can in that portfolio..:I
    it's to wide, you should specialize yourself  into  one field .. 

• Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the Feedback. yes on Sacred i had to made VFX and wrote the main forward Rendering System in Nvidia FX(Unity) it runs from iPad3 to the newes Generation. I also defined the Integration, Level workflow and Animation Setup.
    I Decidet to Show a gameplay Video you dont have to watch entirely but i had my hands on everything you can see in the video and I dont find the time to collect and prepare the stuff i did. The Problem is also that I am a damn good allrounder and I am really good in finding good and efficent sollutions for what ever problem come up in the development process on the artside... it is hard to communicate something like this skill with images.
    I decidet to create one Scene in my spare time. the Scene should cover all my skillsets. So it is a lot to do and i think it will take some month. I will post updates on this thread when I want to Show something to improve.

Ok the paper thin bricks. got it :-) and thank you for the Feedback.
    i will rerender the substances, create a breakdown page and seperate them in to logic groups.

• nicko_the_great
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicko_the_great polycounter lvl 9
    Ra6ga5ka said:

I Decidet to Show a gameplay Video you dont have to watch entirely but i had my hands on everything you can see in the video and I dont find the time to collect and prepare the stuff i did.

If you dont have time to collect the things you did then why bother making a portfolio "a not so very well presented at that". If you're going to put the time and effort in then dont bother making one. There is always time to gather your work over the years and put it together in a 1 minute presentation. Dont make employers have to skim through 20 minutes of video, that is a waste of their time and immediately says a lot about you. Thats just lazy and employers will think that.

Plus what are you marketing yourself as? I see you have textures and then you show a 20 minute video of gameplay that doesnt say what you actually worked on and after skimming through it I grew annoyed because I have no idea what you did, and thats how most employers will feel. A portfolio tells a story of you and your skill set and the way that you grow and the type of things you choose to spend your time on.
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks nicko. you right. I think i will shut down the portfolio until i have a concept what and how I want to present my work. and I think I will have to seperate it more. I am in a realative good position to do so. I will keep the blog online if someone is interested in my progress and also the CV and kontakt page.
    I took all the feedback evaluate it. I think it is better to shut the portfolio down and close this topic untill i have a idea and collected my stuff.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, To make it short.

I was a d*** so i decided to edit that Post.

I want to tell I am still thankful for every feedback I got from you guys/girls. I was very frustrated about some feedback from companies they did not even looked Into the things I did and it totally was my fault, you have told me that but I not understood it right.
    I will come up with a new page and less Stuff presented in a hopefully good way that reflects my current skillset, not the things I am proud of and transports it that people got hooked in the first 10 seconds.

What I learned in the past years, Is that no one know your emotional connections to a piece of work and really cant judge the Iterations it took to craft a piece, workflow or experience you have. what advantages you could add to a team when you are not showing the skill they are looking for no matter if you are capable of doing so.

For me as a Technical Artist from a Mobile-Indi developer It is close to impossible to show stuff a AAA Dev wants to see, the Mindset is totally different and that is important to know.
    If anyone stubles over that thread, I will leave it here and hopefully someone learn from it.

Thank you for every feedback,
    Ra6gaska