Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2017 : Unable to select certain vertices. [solved]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
micropolius polycounter lvl 3
Hi there.

I have encountered a issue with 3dsmax 2017 + SP1. 
I am currently unable to select certain vertices on my low-poly base mesh, has anyone experienced the same issue and how did you resolve it.

I tried
-converting to editable mesh
-Messing with the window / crossing
-Export as FBX and reimport as FBX
-Upgraded with Service Pack 1
-Unhide all vertices

Thank you for the time.

Replies

• spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Honestly - that sounds like it would be almost impossible technically, considering all the steps you already tried...
    Could you post the scene in question ? Or another scene which shows the problem ?

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man,

yeah, happened to me in the past, though I was using Max 2016. And the solution was... far fetched. Someone over on the Autodesk forum suggested my user settings somehow got corrupted. I followed those instructions and it did the trick. You can give it a go, since you're backing up your preferences in the process you got nothing to lose.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This happened to me one time with Max 2017, except it was faces I couldn't select. I created a box, converted it to Editable Poly, then attached my model to the box. Then I deleted the box geometry.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Going forward, it's worth noting that this can generally be fixed by selecting all (CTRL+A) in Max, regardless of the subobject/object type. Sometimes Max just "forgets" that you can select something. 
  • micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. Thank you all for the replies.  I appreciate the response and help.
    I found a solution to my problem. I solved the issue pretty much through sheer luck and lots of trial and error.
    Last night. I applied a ''ProOptimizer'' modifier from the 3dsmax modifier list and after calculating it miraculously worked!

• micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a solution to my problem. I solved the issue pretty much through sheer luck and lots of trial and error.
    Last night. I applied a ''ProOptimizer'' modifier from the 3dsmax modifier list and after calculating it miraculously worked!

• micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

• micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message