Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Game Character / C&C are welcome

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BansheeWail polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! This is my first post here and since you can read by the title I've been working on my first game character ever... Here's the the character that I'm trying to recreate, which is designed by Jane Katsubo.httpscdn1artstationcompassetsimagesimages002807293largejane-katsubo-archerjpg1465942616
Well, I've started with a basesculpt...

Do you got any advice on the anatomy? I'm quite unsure about the hands and feet, also the buttarea looks kinda strange to me... And what could be the best workflow after I fixed my anatomy problems? Should I do the retopo first in 3ds Max and model all the clothes aswell in 3ds max ? Or would it be better to create the clothes in Zbrush and try to retopo it there? I'm totally confused which workflow would get the best results, because this is quite new to me...

I would really appreciated every feedback

Replies

• BansheeWail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the progress i've done so far...

Never thought that this kind of hair would be so difficult... :D Does anyone have a tutorial for this kind of hair? It would be really awesome and I would be really thankful for that! Well I've decided to make the clothes in Zbrush expect stuff like the belt, weapons and jewelry... I'm still not satisfied about her body... It seems to me that her legs are way longer in the concept.. Hm, I'll try to work more on this piece this weekend and make an update post.

C&C are welcome!

• BansheeWail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... I promised to post an update but I completly forget about it... I've changed so much on my character, and when I'm looking at these old screenshot of it... jesus, they look kinda scary haha. I tried to fix the anatomy, had alot of problems with the face topology and baking was hell, but anyways... I think i've learned quite alot about creating an game character. Hopefully u like the result, it's still not finished but maybe some critique to improve the textures I'm currently making! :) Feel free to comment and i guess i'll post the end result tomorrow or maybe this weekend! Hope u like it
  • cmykristy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmykristy null
    I love her pants and hair. The clothes are really sharp and have nice details. I like that you made her face more full, too! This is the quality I want to personally aim for next. The only thing I'd work on is the materials on her weapons. They don't have much impact; make that metal as fancy as her clothes!
  • BansheeWail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cmykristy oh thank you for feedback! I haven't changed the weapons yet but you're absolutely right!

Well, I added some color and I'm quite happy with the result. The only thing that bothers me are the weapons, i guess, I should make them look a little bit worn out but after that I'll try to pose this character in Zbrush. Wish me luck, 'cuz it's absolutey new to me!
    What do you guys think? And is the still room to improve? (I'm pretty sure there is haha)

• BansheeWail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, a little update on my character... I tried to let the weapons look more believeable and used 3d coat for the first time ever and i must say it's a really good tool for handpainted textures but still have to get used to it.. My goal was is to get my character in a more dynamic pose to make it look more intresting, i thought, i could pose her in zbrush but after posing and importing into 3ds max, i realized that the uv is completely gone - is there any other way to pose someting without fucking up the uvs? I guess i could rigg her, but to be honest i tried rigging a couple times  and i'm not really good at it... I would be really happy about every advice and critique!

(Stil have to work on the texture and the platform she's standing on...)

• BansheeWail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. long time no see...
    I haven't changed that much on the character since I've been working on the plattform she's standing on..

Here's an update!
    Still not finished and kinda unsure about the colors but like as usually critique is very welcomed! (These are just the basecolors + curvature, cavity, ao and the green channel of the normal map that i baked from the highpoly)