Home Technical Talk

When is it appropriate to not use dynamesh in a Z Brush Workflow ?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Trill_Clinton polycounter lvl 5
Hey Guys just a general discussion about workflows.
So I am a studying character artist at DMU in the UK and I would like to ask some of you experienced artists about your preferred Z Brush workflow. As of now I work fully in Dynamesh from a low resolution to a higher one for details however when it gets to stages like creating lips and the separation from the bottom and top lip its always very Pixelated and rarely sharp. I was wondering when is it an appropriate time to stop using dynamesh and focus on subdivisions ?

I look forward to hearing from you guys

Thank you 
:)

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I usually stop dynamesh once I have the basic volumes/silhouette formed. If I know I don't need to pull out or merge more appendages, I no longer need dynamesh.    
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    When dynamesh first came out I tried using it to make an entire dragon with an extremely dense dynamesh and only 3 subdiv levels. It was a total disaster. Having the low res subdiv levels is way too valuable to pass up in my opinion, especially if you need to go back later to do smoothing or large adjustments to your mesh. 

I normally do what cyrid said, I use a low resolution dynamesh for doing very large blockouts. Then I use zremesher at a low res or I manually retopo to get the geo that I need then subdivide and sculpt from there.
  • Trill_Clinton
    Offline / Send Message
    Trill_Clinton polycounter lvl 5
    Ohhh thank you. I see what you guys mean. I will adapt this to my work flow thank you.