Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vintage Cannonball Safe

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
More modeling practice! This is a model of an old cannonball safe - aptly titled I suppose - that I saw when out googling cool stuff to model. The door is rigged to open as it would with the real thing. Modeled in Max, textured in Substance Painter 2 and rendered with Iray.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good, the ware on the base though seems to be a bit thick. It doesn't really drop off correctly either. 

Why is the yellow paint on the front separating but the words are remaining intact? 

The handle looks way too clean compared to the rest. 

The bottom left side, it looks like the word texture has wrapped around on to the base. I think you forgot to mask it out. What is the story of the model? Was it left out side or was it recently discovered?

Very cool model though, didn't even know these exist. 
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey thanks for the comments! Basically going for a "been sitting in a back room of a bank or something since 1800s" kind of vibe. Probably should have spent a bit more time on it but got antsy about getting some models finished up.

Isn't funny how mistakes (like the wrapped text on the base) seem to hide out until you think you are ready to post! Arrg!

Thanks again!
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Oh man I know that feeling, when you've been working on something forever and you just want it done. Really cool model though. Going to make the bank vault to go around it next?

I had to look them up, stupid me thought that people wanted to lock away cannonballs and I thought they were crazy to want to haha. 
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9

... thought that people wanted to lock away cannonballs and I thought they were crazy to want to haha.

Ha ha! I guess the title would lead you that direction - too funny tho!