Home Technical Talk

Perspective matching with correct scale?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
hello guys and girls, i'm doing a stylized Envo atm (blocking out, but not happy with the scale) 

Was wondering what i could do to improve my scaling, where to start? what's important to think of and why does some concept seem to have really weird FOV and perspective ! =) 

the concept i'm working from is this lovely piece by Greimm Bae (artstation). 

My main method was to start with the table or the door with either a simple cylinder or box and use a scale i think is proper and try to match it by rotating and moving to the concept. But the rest just seems off =)

Replies

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    oh and understanding field of view. for example in my picture, how do i know what type of FOV it\s using?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    wirrexx said:
    oh and understanding field of view. for example in my picture, how do i know what type of FOV it\s using?
    You don't. As obvious as it sounds, this is a drawing. The FOV is the artist's vision of the space. If you look at the vanishing lines you will see that it hasn't been drawn to be technically correct so I would guess that the artist has purposely chosen to skew the perspective as part of the style of the piece. This is where you have to make your own judgements/artistic choices when recreating the scene in an accurate 3D environment/perspective.

Knowing some real-world base measurements is a good place to start. Deciding on a square-metre dimension for the room and going from there. So, for instance, let's assume that the room is 6mx8m. I can roughly gauge this by knowing that the average height of a door is 2m and the room is about '3 doors' wide from left to right. a stair thread can be anywhere from 600mm to 1m wide so that's another measurement to aid in reconstruction. There is no science behind it, just use common sense, your artistic eye, and some base average real-world dimensions.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Musashidan: Thank you for that explanation!