Home General Discussion

Taking a Maya modeling class at a community college. Worth it?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
 I happen to have a few free days a week this Fall, so I enrolled to a local community college. I already have a BFA in illustration, but I need some structured guidance so I plan to sign up for about three classes: Character design, creative writing, and...yes, intro to Maya modeling. 

Truth be told, I am an entry-level Modo user and haven't really touched other tools. As for modeling I strongly believe that I can't do a jack without soild reference. I have a bad habit of doing stuff out of my head and that usually causes the crash and burn. 

I know that the basic principles of modeling is common among different tools. What I really need is the structured approach so that I can lay down the foundation to teach myself more effectively. 

Do you guys think it will worth it? The class will be held on Mon and Wed mornings. And I might get a laptop just to use Modo during lab time, if the instructor allows it.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if the classes are affordable it can't hurt.  Sometimes a little structure is all you need to get a jump-start on things.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Do more exercise afterward on your own. Use knowledge from the class and have fun with it. Ask ppl on the Internet if you run into issues, and learn more on your own. And you should be among the top 10% of the class.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome guys. Thanks. 
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    See if you can track down someone who has taken the class. There are some great classes at community colleges, and a lot that would leave you worse off then spending the same time watching tutorials on YouTube.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I think if you work better in a classroom setting, it might be worthwhile.  But there are a lot of resources online for free and some paid stuff as well!  Also, the online stuff does have some structure and source files too.  

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElsku3aKQI

Udemy:
    https://www.udemy.com/maya-a-guide-to-3d-modeling/

Digital Tutors:
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/2054-Introduction-to-Maya-2016

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    ambelamba said:
     Do you guys think it will worth it? 
    Depends on who's teaching.

If it's by somebody who doesn't really have industry experience I'd pass. If the instructor is a working pro, I'd consider it.  Can't you not get a class refund if you quit after the first class?  If so, take the first class to get an idea if the quality of teaching suits you. 

If the instructor is a pro you might get more info about local job or industry prospects (and networking possibilities) than a noob person who just happens to get the teaching gig. An advantage to a live instructor as opposed to just relying on video tutorials is you can ask as many relevant questions you can think of and should be able to get a prompt response back.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't find any good info on the instructor, beside that he also teaches at an AI branch in Ontario, CA.  :( Fortunately, as long as the governor's fee waiver is granted I only have to pay the parking permit (I guess). And I am also taking a creative writing and a character design class.

Truth be told, I once attended classes at that college a few years ago, a while after I got my BFA because I was going nowhere. I believe that I shouldn't be mindful about the classmates who are just starting out. No, as for the modeling class I would be no better than other students. But for character design...I am damn sure that most of the future classmates are just starting out.