Home Technical Talk

Ambient Occlusion - Is it really necessary?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
Didn't really want to create a new topic for this but couldn't find a quick question thread :(

I've noticed that in Unreal 4 I have the option to enable post processing AO, which adds some nice contrast to my models. Since this feature exists, is there still a benefit to baking an ambient occlusion map in PBR materials? My AO maps never seem to do much... so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here.

Also, when baking AO on an exploded model, it seems more logical to create a separate bake with the model fully intact - in order to get accurate occlusion. Is this something industry artists do?

Thank you ^_^

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Tetranome said:
    Didn't really want to create a new topic for this but couldn't find a quick question thread :(

I've noticed that in Unreal 4 I have the option to enable post processing AO, which adds some nice contrast to my models. Since this feature exists, is there still a benefit to baking an ambient occlusion map in PBR materials? My AO maps never seem to do much... so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here.

Also, when baking AO on an exploded model, it seems more logical to create a separate bake with the model fully intact - in order to get accurate occlusion. Is this something industry artists do?

Thank you ^_^
    A modern AO texture is more of a cavity map. If your game uses SSAO or something better, then the large AO is taken care of and you just need to worry about the smaller scale stuff in the cavities and such.
    With that said, using AO as a map is up to you, if you don't feel it adds to the overall material, then don't waste the color channel. I do notice the impact a good modern AO does, so I use it.
    And yes, if you want to bake the large scale AO then baking the full model together is your best bet for accuracy.
    As an added benefit, baking the AO map also allows me to material blend in Unreal with more control.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    AO is fairly important if you are texturing in tool such as substance or quixel as they use the AO map as mask generators.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Slosh is completely right. We utilize Ambient Occlusion maps heavily in Quixel DDO. An AO map is one of the best tools in art production - most masks are driven by AO in some fashion.
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! That helps clear things up.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    AO textures in PBR pipelines will only influence indirect lighting, but they do a great job at adding that extra depth when used well. Post AO is a different level of detail entirely, so the two methods blend to compliment each other nicely.

And for baking, when you explode the meshes and bake AO I always find the best results by combining my high poly AO with an AO map generated from an unexploded low poly mesh. This gives you the detail of the high poly with the occlusion that would naturally result from the actual final model itself. The exception is any animated pieces like the bolt of a gun that must move back. You wouldn't include that in the unexploded low AO bake, since it moving positions would mean the AO map would then be wrong.
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @somedoggy
    That's a great answer and workflow. I'm going to give it a shot.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    somedoggy said:

And for baking, when you explode the meshes and bake AO I always find the best results by combining my high poly AO with an AO map generated from an unexploded low poly mesh. This gives you the detail of the high poly with the occlusion that would naturally result from the actual final model itself. The exception is any animated pieces like the bolt of a gun that must move back. You wouldn't include that in the unexploded low AO bake, since it moving positions would mean the AO map would then be wrong.
    Just a heads up, if you bake in Designer with Match by Name you don't have to explode the mesh for the Normal Map; however, the AO will still self-occlude!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    That's pretty neat! Thanks for the tip, I had no idea!

Still, you may actually want the AO produced from your low to be blended in your final AO map as it still offers extra detail where the high and low are mismatched at all. So you could do it like you said AND bake a low AO map, then take the minimum value of both ("Darker Color" in Photoshop). Even in instances where I've baked high AO that self-occludes it looks better to me when both are combined. :)
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    AO in most materials these days are just a multiplier on the diffuse with zero intensity in direct light in some engines its just mutiplied after the lighting pass. SSAO/AO is made up and not physically based at all so some people think its totally unnecessary but its one of those fake things that just makes shit look better. 
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Well, it kind of is a thing though. It's an approximation of indirect lighting behaviour, right? So you can't really say it isn't physically based. The implementations of it are super shady from the point of view of physical accuracy though I agree there. 
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    He's right. While it simulates the same kind of darkening effect you might see with indirect light, AO not physically based at all. For that to be true you'd need to have it be derived from and tied into the same equations the rest of your lighting uses. It's totally arbitrary but it does look good in the absence of anything better.
  • shaderfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
     SSAO/AO is made up and not physically based at all

How can our AO be real if our eyes aren't real, Chris?!
    Tell me that.
    You don't have the answer...do you?! Do you Chris?!
    Thought not.

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    shaderfx said:
     SSAO/AO is made up and not physically based at all

How can our AO be real if our eyes aren't real, Chris?!
    Tell me that.
    You don't have the answer...do you?! Do you Chris?!
    Thought not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJ0YIqnD50&feature=youtu.be
    <3
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    It's how you use it that makes the difference (imo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1cLdGiUeGk