Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi modular environment and atlas texture question

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GameArtifact polycounter lvl 7

Hi all!

I would like to have your opinions and your critiques about my current project...

I'm trying to build a sci-fi outdoor environment with a few buildings, I'm modelling walls by a set of modular assets that share one PBR material based on a 4K atlas texture.

I'm using Substance Painter for materials, this environment is for Unity 5 engine.

Every piece is 4 meters high, its width is 4 meters and it is 1 or 2 meters deep; afterwards I will add floors and props with the same idea (modular pieces and one PBR mat ), but for now I want to know if I'm going in the right direction.

I have also a specific question for you: how can I paint and/or improve the edges that connect different panels and materials? For now I have added some dirt on almost all edges, maybe I could paint on normal channel a line which simulates a light division between those panels, maybe I could paint on albedo channel a dark line?

I add some screenshots...

Thanks to all those who want to give me some advice!

Replies

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Hello!
    Pretty good start i'd say ;)
    For your question, you have 3 choices:
    1/ You do it in the geometry (Bevel etc...)
    2/ You do it in the normal map ( with a metallic line in your atlas by example)
    3/ You could create some kind of separation pieces (like a 4m fine pillar to put between your wall's props)

PS: don't forget to smooth your geometry ;)

Keep up!

• GameArtifact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Macoll!

Thanks for your suggestions!

It's very interesting the third, because in fact I can create different separation pieces, so I can reuse them in different walls and/or in different ways, adding more variation to the scene.

I'll do some test ...  ;)

• GameArtifact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi all,

I created other walls and small structures to my scene, so I can have a better idea of how combining all pieces together; here a screenshot:

I have not yet started to work on floor material, now I would like to create a few props that give me more variations along the walls, for example a pillar or something similar and then a few props to fill the scene.

Do you have any suggestions and critiques?

Thanks!

• GameArtifact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi all!

a little update from my environment.

I'm working on floor panels... I decided to create 2 or 3 2k panels, maybe I will later create one 4k atlas texture to have only one floor material (if I will have the 4th volunteer panel :-)).

I'm trying to create very simple panels and to take advantage of Substance Painter 2 power.

This is the result:

On my sketchfab account I have uploaded the panel, if you are interesting.

I have then applied this material inside Unity scene and  the only thing that leaves me a bit

doubtful is that the floor is a bit dark respect wall panels.

If you have any suggestions I'm happy to listen you...