• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    "These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has ever seen"
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What ever happened to that tv that had the yellow pixel component anyway?
  • beefaroni
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Come to think about it, if the current gen consoles were more powerful to start with, it could be much harder to get those games running in 4k and vr right now.
    Wonder if they haven't planned it like that from the start :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    4K...I'm skeptical we'll see many games using the extra power for that. Most devs will probably use it to give a better 1080p experience instead.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    PolyHertz said:
    4K...I'm skeptical we'll see many games using the extra power for that. Most devs will probably use it to give a better 1080p experience instead.
    i hope so...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Now instead of people talking about a name like 'xbox one', they'll talk about whether this is a new console or not.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I think the future of consoles is iterative upgrades like cell-phones. So this is par for the course for the future I see. For now at least.

Anyway, I hope the next version is called Grimes.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    a bit hogwash to be honest, not even gtx1080 can handle 4k @60 fps all right (even with console level like setting)
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Judging by the theoretical more than quadrupled graphical performance,
    it should be able to run the games that currently run in 60 fps at 4k/60fps.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    So wierd announcing 2 consoles. Is the new smaller xbox one gonna be super cheap? if not then I dont see why anyone would want it. Id rather have amazing features like realtime tesselation or incredible fluid simulation or amazing crowds or incredible physics on everything  - than have 4k. 4K is just what you have already seen before but a bit better. I want to see things in games that Ive never ever seen before so Id rather steer clear of 4k for now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Gaming on the couch, I doubt think I'd fully appreciate 4k. Would rather have 1080-1440p, 60 fps, and better graphics. Although for VR, you'll want ~1440p@90, so it makes sense for that. 
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Just remember: "...we're built for the future. This is a console that will last you, conservatively a decade..." (2013)
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-06-xbox-one-will-last-conservatively-10-years-says-microsoft

Just like the PS4 Neo, I think they need to stop talking about 4k, because it's giving people the wrong impression. I keep hearing people say, "I don't have a 4k TV yet, so I don't need it, and they won't sell any of these." The thing is, most games don't even play at 1080p right now. The point it, the new systems will have the power that they should have had at launch, and they'll finally be able to have the resolution and FPS that most people want... but IF you have a 4k TV, it'll be able to play 4k movies for you. Movies... not games.

I wish Sony had stepped up, and given details about the Neo.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Still, even with a 1080p display, down sampling does look better, but it's probably not the best use for extra GPU power. Then again it will probably happen because why spend more dev resources on 2 versions of a game when you can push out basically the same game just in higher resolution.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    As someone who's lived with 4k for almost a year, I call bullshit on this.  There's going to be significant sacrifices to get games running at 4k/60fps, even with 6TF of hardware.  I game on twin Titans, and even with the best SLI profiles it struggles to achieve locked 60fps at 3840x2160.

What we'll get is 30fps, or dynamic resolution.  Fortunately, 1080p scales up nicely to 4k, providing the scalar they use quadruples the pixels with nearest neighbor (instead of the blurry mess which is bilinear) 

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    New Xbox???

(BTW only 1 game has managed 1920x1080p@60fps, so good luck with that 4k stuff).

• Savannakhet
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    notman said:
    Just remember: "...we're built for the future. This is a console that will last you, conservatively a decade..." (2013)
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-06-xbox-one-will-last-conservatively-10-years-says-microsoft

Just like the PS4 Neo, I think they need to stop talking about 4k, because it's giving people the wrong impression. I keep hearing people say, "I don't have a 4k TV yet, so I don't need it, and they won't sell any of these." The thing is, most games don't even play at 1080p right now. The point it, the new systems will have the power that they should have had at launch, and they'll finally be able to have the resolution and FPS that most people want... but IF you have a 4k TV, it'll be able to play 4k movies for you. Movies... not games.

No point in talking about it now when they have VR and a strong PS4 showing, better for them to do it next year when it's closer to it's intended release that way they can react to Microsofts specifications.

Do you have a source for them saying it won't play games at a 4k output?

With games being output at 4k I doubt it would be true 4k anyway on the specs touted or 'leaked'. 1080 upscaled or maybe with lower AA/SS due to the increase in plixel density.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium said:
    notman said:

No point in talking about it now when they have VR and a strong PS4 showing, better for them to do it next year when it's closer to it's intended release that way they can react to Microsofts specifications.

Do you have a source for them saying it won't play games at a 4k output?

With games being output at 4k I doubt it would be true 4k anyway on the specs touted or 'leaked'. 1080 upscaled or maybe with lower AA/SS due to the increase in plixel density.
    I stated that more 'matter of fact' than I should have... I meant it as a prediction. I meant to say it will PROBABLY play 4k movies, and not games.

I do feel like Sony held off, so they could see MS's specs. I thought I had read that the Neo was coming late this year, but I'm sure that's just part of the rumor mill stuff. Since they held off announcements, I'll assume the rumor was false, and the Neo will be next year also.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea I'm curious to see how Sony will respond to Scorpio with the Neo.
    Currently they have about twice the market share MS does, but that could certainly change if consumers are impressed by Scorpio and underwhelmed by Neo. Sony could ignore MS, but them not showing or announcing anything specific this E3 leads credence to the possibility that nothing is set in stone yet.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    do you think they need to though? console gamers seem more focused on the software, less so the hardware.

judging by previous console launches it's safe to assume that initial performance expectations will be withered down, too. i would also be concerned with cost on the future xbox if the final specs are anywhere near what they are promising now. remember how being too pricey worked out for sony for the first 3 or 4 years of the PS3? and these guys were releasing the successor to the console which basically ruled the gaming landscape back then.

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    40 million people already own a PS4.  Microsoft releasing a souped up, $4XX console isn't going to sway the tide, especially now when every future first-party Microsoft game will be made available on Windows 10.

Sony did a good thing focusing entirely on games, that's what people want.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Entity said:
     especially now when every future first-party Microsoft game will be made available on Windows 10.

I dont think the fact you can get it on pc will sway a console gamer. if they are interested in the game they will more than likely get the console. As a pc gamer (this console gen) , i had no intention on buying an xbox1, even though i am interested in a couple of their first party titles. I will probably purchase a couple of them when they come out (especially Halo Wars 2). but i would not have bought an xb1 to play that game. someone who is primarily a console gamer with a ps4 may still be interested in getting an xb1 if there is a game on the system that is not on a ps4 even if it is also available on pc.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS said:
    Entity said:
     especially now when every future first-party Microsoft game will be made available on Windows 10.

I dont think the fact you can get it on pc will sway a console gamer. if they are interested in the game they will more than likely get the console. As a pc gamer (this console gen) , i had no intention on buying an xbox1, even though i am interested in a couple of their first party titles. I will probably purchase a couple of them when they come out (especially Halo Wars 2). but i would not have bought an xb1 to play that game. someone who is primarily a console gamer with a ps4 may still be interested in getting an xb1 if there is a game on the system that is not on a ps4 even if it is also available on pc.
    That's probably what Microsoft hopes for, but I just don't see it happening with Scorpio.  See, anyone interested in 1st party Microsoft games would've bought an Xbox One a long time ago.  Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Halo (6?) are all sequels to games that are already out on the Xbox One.  At best, they'll be able to convince existing owners to upgrade to Scorpio, but definitely not a mass horde of new users.  Sea of Thieves and Recore looks fun, but they're not system sellers.  I'm sure they'll be happy that people upgrade, but what Microsoft really want is to expand their user base.

The average user (which we certainly aren't a part of) rarely owns more than two gaming consoles/machines, and even then it's usually a combo of Sony/Microsoft + Nintendo/PC.  $4XX-5XX consoles are for the hardcore, not the casuals.  Unfortunately, time isn't on Microsoft's side.  The PS4 is widely accepted as the better performing console available now, instead of Q4 2017.  If Sony goes ahead with their original NEO plan, they're still beating Microsoft to the punch, despite having a less powerful machine.

By the time Microsoft releases Scorpio, Sony's will have likely added another 5-10 million customers to their userbase.  That's millions of users invested in Sony's ecosystem, with friends playing on PSN servers.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    What is kind of a "WHY???" Information is, that 1080p users (so no 4k TV) will get no use from the superior performance. Really is it that hard to implement a 1080p Downscale from the 4k output res? It will not have any use. Yet something like a DSR method should have major effects on the image quality vs the FXAA mush used on the original Xbox. Are they for some reason unable to do that or do they not want to?

Based on: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/spencer-scorpio-won-t-do-anything-for-you-if-you-don-t-have-a-4k-tv/0168577
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ok so scorpio is only any benefit if you have a 4K tv (still I really doubt that it will run stuff well in actual 4k). even xbox one s will run 4k media but not games. Heres the actual interview for anyone interested. I guess this means that devs wont have to make 2 or 3 versions of the same game which is good for devs I suppose but wierd for consumers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's not such a bad idea, but a lot of people will indeed be confused by it. I think it's a bit too early to release it yet, since it looks like the only benefit of it is 4k gaming. Not a lot of people own 4k tvs or monitors, so I don't know how they're gonna sell it to the casual public and they already said that it's gonna be a premium product.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't believe he knows what he's talking about. I'm also still waiting to see a console designed with an SSD (even if it's just for caching). 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    I don't know whats the case: an information clusterfuck, they don't have any idea how things will go down themself, Phil Spencer might want to shut up.
    2 Interviews, 2 totally different messages.

- first: normal 1080p user won't have a use from the Scorpio. Implying, that they will run and look exactly as they did on the XBONE. Designed to not look different from the original XB visuals (" if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see"), sounds to me like they might have build in a system preventing the high visuals on anything below 4k displays.
    - Now: Devs don't have to go 4k, they can use the plus in performance however they want (http://www.videogamer.com/news/developers_can_use_scorpios_6_teraflops_however_they_wish_says_spencer.html )

Why does it sound Xbox one all over again "online only" "nah not online only" "you can't just switch off kinect Joe" "we just switched off kinect" 

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, what is the point of a 4k supported console, if it's not going to run at 4k? If I bought this, for a 4k TV, and it ran at 1080p, to run the game better, then I would probably be a bit pissed.

I think he's confusing the message. I would HOPE it would allow 1080p users to have a smoother/consistent experience (always 1080p, not random resolutions/fps), but support 4k for users who have a TV to support it. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hope most developers aim for 1440p60 and split the difference, that way 1080p and 4k users would greatly benefit. 
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Its great that they are setting the standard for the future, after all 8K broadcasting is coming to Europe and Asia for the Olympics.
    Sharp are releasing an 8K television set with an 85-inch monitor.
    The cameras are pretty compact as well.
    I am looking forward to seeing 4K at 60fps.

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    8K !!!! Crazy, still in Full HD :)
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    8k is supposed to be great for eye level text displays. Like if movie theaters replaced their posters outside with 8k TVs. Color E-ink now exists though so I guess for that particular example, it is a race to which technology matures first.