Home Adobe Substance

Transparency with masking?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys. Trying to figure this out in substance and I can't figure it out.

Basically I have a plexiglass cover that goes over a TV monitor. The outsides of the plexiglass has some graphics on it, but the inner part of the plexiglass is transparent, like glass. 

The way I have it now is I have a flat single polygon plane and I have the outer graphics on the outside with a mask to mask out the inner part of the plexiglass so the computer monitor can be seen. This is great, BUT I need there to be scratches in the roughness channel across the whole entire plane and not just the un-masked part. 

So how can I add scratches to the whole plane, yet retain the masked out graphic so you can see the monitor behind the plexiglass??

Here's an example:

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Whatever software you use (since you don't precise), you can simply add scratches over the whole roughness channel, without using the mask. It's a simple blending operation.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Froyok said:
    Whatever software you use (since you don't precise), you can simply add scratches over the whole roughness channel, without using the mask. It's a simple blending operation.
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot to mention I'm using Substance Painter. I have tried this before, but as a test just now (my shader set to "alpha blending") I have created a new fill layer, and I have turned off everything but opacity in the material. Yet when I drag the opacity slider left, the whole mesh disappears. It seems at 0.99 and below it just makes my mesh 100% transparent and there is no blending.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Now I'm confused, because you talk about applying an effect in the roughness globally, and then you tell me that the opacity is not working ? What is the real problem exactly ?
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Froyok said:
    Now I'm confused, because you talk about applying an effect in the roughness globally, and then you tell me that the opacity is not working ? What is the real problem exactly ?
    Sorry for any confusion. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. All I'm trying to do is get the effect in my example above. It's a piece of plexiglass with graphics on the sides but the center is transparent so you can see what's behind it, but the roughness is still visible. I suppose much like a glass effect, but I need the graphics on the sides to still be visible. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    To get the best result you would likely need a custom shader on which the transparency only affects the diffuse term but not the specular term. I believe the default transparency in Painter will mask everything, resulting in the loss of the specular reflection as well on translucent surfaces.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Jerc said:
    To get the best result you would likely need a custom shader on which the transparency only affects the diffuse term but not the specular term. I believe the default transparency in Painter will mask everything, resulting in the loss of the specular reflection as well on translucent surfaces.
    I figured it was something along these lines. Thanks for the help! I ended up just reworking my model a bit to get my desired effect.