Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

New High School Graduate Looking for Direction + Critique!

null
hey!! ;u; i just graduated a few days ago from high school and didn't quite receive as much scholarship money for SCAD as i would need to attend, so i'm looking for direction. i really want to get into the games industry, preferably as a concept artist. riot games and blizzard are my dream companies!

i've been drawing for as long as i can remember, and started on digital painting two years ago with this piece!

my most recent finished pieces, as well as my most beloved are as follows:

taliyah, from league of legends! process is here , and it was featured in the league community spotlight!

a shadowrun character from a session of it i ran with my friends!

diana from league! done for international women's day as a speed challenge to myself.

a commission done of a friend's FFXIV character. very time consuming x_x probably the most intensive i've done so far.

in addition, some WIPs of current commissions!

the points i really want to improve upon are:
- texturing and shading of materials (metal in particular!)
- rendering more quickly for the sake of concept art
- light source/shadows
- how to more effectively convert to color from greyscale

feedback and critique would be much appreciated u__u
more of my stuff can be found over at my art blog.

Replies

• TGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TGI polycounter lvl 3
    Wowieee your stuff looks fantastic!! I really like the dynamic-ness of your first piece! :DD I'm not very good at painting myself so I can't offer much advice but I think you're on the right track!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Well i can tell you now that you are already in a great position coming straight out of highschool at this level.

Just a few thoughts:
    "how to more effectively convert to color from greyscale"
    I can't really recommend this work flow, Layer stack workflows are a lot better to achieve higher quality results. EG: http://texahol.deviantart.com/art/Layer-Breakdown-373285350?q=gallery:texahol/22370054&qo=49

What you really should be focusing on is just how to light properly. Right now you are placing values and colours for aesthetic reasons and not thinking about your light source. You can get some cool results this way, but if you want to get work, you need to learn how to actually light. It's really hard to wrap your head around, but light and value have a direct relationship, where a change in value means a change in form.

The other thing is you need to start actually drawing in perspective. This is the tough one, but it's best to tear this bandaid off sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

• Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    Pretty killer for a highschooler!!   Go to artcenter in pasedena they'll make you great :)