Home General Discussion

Can anyone shed light on this discussion on /3/? Form vs anatomy.

rootln
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
rootln polycounter lvl 2
http://boards.4chan.org/3/thread/523760/new-wip-thread#p525232  

Been reading through this, and has gotten me confused.  There's a few people discussing anatomy vs form.  A lot of them are samefagging, and it's genuinely got me confused.

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Advice: don't get your feedback and advice from 4chan.
    Just come to a forum where people can't hide behind anon and short posts in the first place :confused: Better thread suggestion would be to start a thread on Anatomy vs Form here (and my quick answer would be that in order to have accurate forms you need to verse yourself in real-world knowledge such as anatomy, gravity, etcetc otherwise no matter how nice your forms are, they could be wrong) rather than asking "whats happening in this 4chan thread".
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For artists, the term form and anatomy are used pretty interchangeably. Saying the form is off is normally the same thing as the anatomy is off. Some artists might have the anatomy down, accurate, with the right proportions, but aren't capturing the right "forms", like how that body part catches light and casts shadows, that's the only time the difference really matters.

Also you might want to avoid using 4chan lingo like "samefagging" outside of 4chan, you probably don't want a potential employer seeing that when looking through your work on Polycount.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Form is a 2d shape represented in 3D.
    A circles 3d form is a sphere, square is a cube, etc.
    As far as anatomy is concerned, most parts can be broken down into simple forms for easier understanding/learning.
    Thats really about it, there's no real "VS".
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    BagelHero said:
    Advice: don't get your feedback and advice from 4chan.
    Just come to a forum where people can't hide behind anon and short posts in the first place :confused: Better thread suggestion would be to start a thread on Anatomy vs Form here (and my quick answer would be that in order to have accurate forms you need to verse yourself in real-world knowledge such as anatomy, gravity, etcetc otherwise no matter how nice your forms are, they could be wrong) rather than asking "whats happening in this 4chan thread".
    Agreed

4Chan brings up the worst of the internet.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I always had the impression that the term "form", when used in this art context, refers to the structure of a subject in all dimensions rather than just its shape—with "shape" being that subject projected onto your retina or a flat surface like a computer display or sheet of paper.

A person may have these terms completely wrong and still do awesome stuff.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    'Forms' and 'shapes' are just the visual simplification of anatomy.
    The Asaro Head is a great example of this.

Anatomy is like the hard science behind why the shapes and forms are the way they are.

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, what the 4chan discussion is trying to get at is that it is very easy to get caught up in anatomy (as in, "this muscle insertion goes here") while forgetting how these discrete parts combine into a greater whole - which itself can be simplified/stylized.

A common example would be the case of naive pencil drawings where the artist attempts to draw every individual hair as opposed to capturing the whole effect of the haircut.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    4chan fellows are no good, 
    The majority folks  are hate filled sociopaths hiding in the shadows; I wouldn't listen to a word these fellows have to say. 
    I learned the hard way back in 2010, these dudes are mostly 15 year olds who can't do a thing and they jeer at anyone who doesn't adhere to their standards. 

/ic/ is even worse and full of pretentious fellows, who don't know what they are talking about. 

Never post on /ic/ or /3/ 
    EVER.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I got this book as a kid for my birthday, long ago:

The artist talks about anatomy knowledge versus careful observation and practice. He thought it made no difference which approach you take. I think anatomy knowledge cant hurt.  Guys like Frank Frazetta had a sound knowledge of how the figure is put together and I think that is obvious in his work.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    People hating on /ic/ and /3/.

I feel a lot of places if you post artwork you just get a nice critique that doesn't really do anything. If you post on /ic/, people will tear it to shreds and be super honest. I'm pretty sure if you told someone on polycount that there work is garbage you would get banned or warned. But, what if your work was garbage wouldn't you want to be told that instead of having the delusion it is good. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Polycount is great at giving tough love and harsh critiques, although Polycount isn't as harsh today as it was 2 years ago.

Calling someone's work on Polycount rubbish is fair game as long as it isn't a personal attack and has some constructive criticism to it.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Vague dismissal is just as bad as vague praise.  I know there's a very Spartan "bring it on!" mentality out there, but it's not universal.  It's safer to say, "You need to work on X, and Y is the strongest part, keeping doing that."  Not only does it lessen the odds that the artist will be discouraged, it also helps onlookers learn.  Additionally, it doesn't imply "talent" or lack thereof so much as emphasizing actual work.

Back to anatomy, the advantage to learning it is that you become aware of forms you didn't know existed.  I wasn't even aware that I had no idea how to draw eyes and mouths until studying muscular diagrams of the face.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Form based anatomy sketching is a great technique if you're drawing purely from imagination.

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    kanga said:

The artist talks about anatomy knowledge versus careful observation and practice. He thought it made no difference which approach you take. I think anatomy knowledge cant hurt.  Guys like Frank Frazetta had a sound knowledge of how the figure is put together and I think that is obvious in his work.

Frazetta actually has horrible anatomy, and Scott Eaton would routinely point to massive flaws in his work as examples of poor construction.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Frazetta actually has horrible anatomy, and Scott Eaton would routinely point to massive flaws in his work as examples of poor construction.
    And yet I prefer his work to others like Boris Vallejo. Perhaps Frazetta is proof that perfect anatomy isnt the answer. The power of his strokes, composition and narrative have always made for great illustrations. I cant help it, I am a real fan.

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    pangaea said:

I feel a lot of places if you post artwork you just get a nice critique that doesn't really do anything. If you post on /ic/, people will tear it to shreds and be super honest. I'm pretty sure if you told someone on polycount that there work is garbage you would get banned or warned. But, what if your work was garbage wouldn't you want to be told that instead of having the delusion it is good. 

That's why you serve critique as a shit sandwich; compliment-critique-compliment structure. Makes it go down way easier!
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    pangaea said:

The posters there are also comprised of 99% salt, and that harsh critique could equally come from a place of jealousy and spite as it could come from someone genuinely trying to help you. Just because the crit is anonymous doesn't mean its worth anything more.
    You might get one or two good crits, but IMO its not worth putting yourself in that environment where most of the discussion is bitching and moaning about so and so popular artist who had the audacity to find a niche and work in it instead of sticking to just 100 life studies a day for the rest of their lives. There is this really harmful and anti-fun 'purity' idea that I see being perpetuated, for people who want to work as commercial artists its completely backwards.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Honesty /3/ is a bit of a joke. A lot of the people there are complete amateurs giving eachother advice and critics that are questionable at best. I'd repeat on sticking to polycount or other game art forums over /3/. Not to mention polycount probably moves faster than /3/ atleast last time I checked.

Also yeah try to keep the lingo on their site. It doesn't crosspolinate well for obvious reasons :3