Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

xChris Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
xChris polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys! I'm joining the ranks of awesome artists who've made sketchbooks here. I've found myself working on pieces that I eventually just leave sitting on my drive for eternity, so I just want to share with you guys finished pieces, studies, or WIP projects. I want you guys to feel free to comment/critique or ask about anything I post, or go down and click my portfolio link and tear anything apart haha. 

I'll start off the thread by showing a few things I finished these past few weeks. I just wrapped up a winchester 1897 this past weekend. I had a serious world war itch to scratch since that Battlefield 1 trailer dropped haha, and looking up history facts in general is always a fun thing too. As it goes, Germans had protested against the trench gun in 1918 for being too "barbaric", whoa.

Edit: Currently practicing making tile able organic textures, so far my workflow has been sculpting in zbrush, than colorizing them in Substance designer. Some of the simpler ones like the snow was straight  inside SD.

Replies

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    I also got into it with  some organic textures a couple weeks back. I sculpted out the cracked dirt, and colorized it in designer. The snow was fully done in designer though.

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everybody, sculpted some dead tree bark today, more organic texture practice wooo! Going to feed the maps and colorize it through SD

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Working on a new texture now, specifically some old terracotta roof tiles, I'll post the sculpt as soon as I'm done. But I did end up colorizing this dead bark. Any critiques welcome! 
    ps: does this first image look more saturated than the second to anyone? Having some trouble with how marmoset is compressing some renders, but for some reason smaller images look weirdly saturated on my monitors.

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Chris!

Did not know you made a sketchbook thread, subscribed/favorited.

Your work looks excellent. I like the trench gun specifically and your materials read well.

Regarding the bark, I would add some more color variation especially in the nooks. It reads well, but it could use some more visual interest.

Looking good!
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I think that bark looks a little too shiny. The cracked dirt has such big trenches that it doesn't look natural that there is no edge wear around them.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    3dReaper said:
    Hey Chris!

Did not know you made a sketchbook thread, subscribed/favorited.

Your work looks excellent. I like the trench gun specifically and your materials read well.

Regarding the bark, I would add some more color variation especially in the nooks. It reads well, but it could use some more visual interest.

Looking good!
    Thanks for the feedback dude! Yeah I'm trying to break the habit of posting stuff real late, cause the thread gets lost through out the day, haha. I agree, I'm googling  dead trees in the Nambian desert, and I'm finding that I overlooked a ton of color swatches I could add (being that they're dead trees and all).

dpadam450 said:
    I think that bark looks a little too shiny. The cracked dirt has such big trenches that it doesn't look natural that there is no edge wear around them.
    Def going back to tweak the bark. I agree with the trenches on the cracked dirt, the initial idea was to have wet crevices, I wanted to have different spec response from the top layers to the trenches (besides just dry boring dirt), but doesn't seem to be reading well atm. Thought I was spending too much time on it or being hard on myself ( as all artists are), so I left it as is. Now that you mention it I do want to go back and break up those edges more with the mallet brush, thanks for the critique dude!