Home Technical Talk

Do any good artists use Blender?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
At work I got bored and don't have Max installed so I was fooling around with Blender and it looks like it's come a long way from where it was just a few years ago. It used to be that only people thinking about getting into 3d tried out blender before moving onto max/maya/modo (or at least it seemed that way).

Any good artists, aka more than 100 followers or work in the industry,  using blender that have an Artstation or would like share what they find useful about blender?

Of course we all know that each modeling package is simply a tool, a means to an end. I'm just interested to see what people have created with it that are in the gaming industry.

Replies

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    I think Pior uses primarily Blender. I say he qualifies as a "good artist"!

http://www.pioroberson.com
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Not sure what qualifies as good, but at least I have more then a 100 followers, I have used it for some of my work, and it's not much that holds me back in it, but I mostly create base meshes and clean up low poly meshes.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what qualifies as good, but at least I have more thea a 100 followers, I have used it for some of my work, and it's not much that holds me back in it, but I mostly create base meshes and clean up low poly meshes.
    Definitely you are Jonas, I should clarify that I'm not trying to be snobby by any means. I meant to use GOOD as someone who creates work that can be seen as inspiring or easily admired.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    haha yeah wasn't my meaning, but yeah all the basic stuff is there, so it's possible to create any quality of work

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good art can come from just about anywhere, using just about anything.

Some tools make certain tasks easier than others but that doesn't mean that is the only way to pull off a particular task. I think it's important for artists not to be snobbish about their tools and get to know a lot of different workflows. It really helps them tackle all kinds of new and weird problems that pop up.

You might not run off to a particular app that has mastered a certain aspect of a workflow but you might port it over to your app of choice which is hard to do if you aren't one of those people who tests out other programs and only sticks to the narrow band that is within your tiny scope of snobbish approved apps. =P

I think Blender gets a bad rap because it is so accessible and it draws in a lot of people who are just starting out. That just means the market if flooded with "look ma, I made artz" but if you spend some time looking things over you'll see some really good stuff.

With that said, I learned with other tools that work differently and have been developed in specific ways to maximize how I work so I prefer them, but I'm pretty sure I could get Blender to do what I needed if other packages evaporated overnight. 

It's a poor craftsman that blames the tools.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Deforges said:
    Any good artists, aka more than 100 followers or work in the industry,  using blender that have an Artstation or would like share what they find useful about blender? 

Jason Schleifer does.
    (Head of Character Animation @ Dreamworks)

He has this side project called the Nimble Collective, which he shares with a few other industry leaders.
    On Vimeo, he's been adding a video series documenting his progress as he navigates his way through blender. It's worth a look at the collection of videos in there, because other artists in the Nible Collective post there as well. Modelers too.

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Max Puliero's used it commercially for sculpting, retopology and unwrapping on Bloodbourne & Dark Souls 3.

His Artstation has some samples of hard surface work done in Blender.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/mmaaxx
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good art can come from just about anywhere, using just about anything.

Some tools make certain tasks easier than others but that doesn't mean that is the only way to pull off a particular task. I think it's important for artists not to be snobbish about their tools and get to know a lot of different workflows. It really helps them tackle all kinds of new and weird problems that pop up.

You might not run off to a particular app that has mastered a certain aspect of a workflow but you might port it over to your app of choice which is hard to do if you aren't one of those people who tests out other programs and only sticks to the narrow band that is within your tiny scope of snobbish approved apps. =P

I think Blender gets a bad rap because it is so accessible and it draws in a lot of people who are just starting out. That just means the market if flooded with "look ma, I made artz" but if you spend some time looking things over you'll see some really good stuff.

With that said, I learned with other tools that work differently and have been developed in specific ways to maximize how I work so I prefer them, but I'm pretty sure I could get Blender to do what I needed if other packages evaporated overnight. 

Deforges said:

Of course we all know that each modeling package is simply a tool, a means to an end. I'm just interested to see what people have created with it that are in the gaming industry.

You seem to mistake this thread as attempting to disparage what is a good piece of a software. There is merit in seeing how blender is used by artists and if it used as a main modeling app in someone's workflow.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    That is a horrible argument; you're completely misusing the phrase. That phrase means that you can't blame a bad result on bad tools. But good tools will still allow you to do a job faster and easier. Not only is time extremely important for any professional, but that ridiculous phrase is rendered completely invalid in any situation where you would have a deadline. Because if you only have 5 hours to do something, and lousy tools would cause it to take 10, you are going to have a bad result because of the tools you were using. Maybe that means you are a bad craftsman for not having the better tools you needed, and that still means it doesn't work in your statement.

There's a reason people aren't texturing in MSPaint.
    And that is a valid concern to have about Blender. It isn't that hard to find good art made in it, but can that be done in a professional environment? How long did it take them?
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Grimwolf : totally agree on the topic of using good tools, especially when time is paramount.

As a matter of  the one thing I can say for sure is that as far as modeling and vertex weighting is concerned, switching over to Blender after a decade of using both Max and Maya definitely allowed me to work faster and more efficiently - and I am very picky about workflow efficiency and task optimisation.

I am not going to go into details or attempt to list every feature, but the mere fact that solid sculpting tools are fully available while working on polygon modeling tasks is a very convincing point - and this is precisely the one that made me curious about the app in the first place. The same logic (flexibility and inter-connectivity of various editing modes) applies to all aspects of the program and has massive workflow benefits. Unfortunately this is a little known fact, overshadowed by the poor default interaction settings which do require some time and effort to tweak into something useful for people coming from other apps.

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I work way faster in Blender than I do in Maya, and that's probably true of anyone who's learned the keyboard shortcuts and got a few key extensions enabled. It's a good tool.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Well...

It's my time to shine
    Honestly I think post 2.5 Blender > Maya in modelling.

I can't wrap my mind around Maya.. at all..
    Max is awesome though.
    As for your question

Gleb Alexandrov
    Jonathan Lampel
    I could go on but..
    yeah

I'll just send you a link to some good blender art sites
    http://www.blenderguru.com/competitions/
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/index.php
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?27-Forum-Gallery

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    "Of course we all know that each modeling package is simply a tool, a means to an end."
    Damn right it is 

"I'm just interested to see what people have created with it that are in the gaming industry."

Shit... erm..
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone who fits that bill,
    I know some that work in the movie industry
    I know great freelance generalists
    But I don't know any good blender artists in the game industry(that don't make mobile games)

Maybe I'll fit that bill one day...
    Finding game industry jobs for freelancers is kinda hard in my experience.

Also it may or may not have to do with blender continuously going against the grain for the sake of going against the grain

Example: it uses openGL normal maps instead of DX, rather than using "glossiness/specularity" or "Roughness/Metalness" it uses "Roughness/Specularity", makes it a pain in the arse if you are working with Substance designer.

Sometimes it's good, like how everything is keyboard operable instead of using the mouse.

Sometimes it's annoying...

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Deforges said:
    Any good artists, aka more than 100 followers
    I have several tumblr followers. Does that count?

Also I see Pior and Max were already mentioned, but thomasp is great as well. Just throwin that out there.
  • myclay
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hey thanks for the referral, appreciated. :)

i'd say for me blender is faster, overall smoother in operation, has a better, faster viewport for actual modelling work (including the GLSL shader stuff that just works (tm) with my mikkt-normal maps), is more stable and most importantly more customizable than my former app 3ds max. it does not lock me into windows anymore (not a fan of that one's recent direction at all and eager to keep my options open), it appears to be well rounded, has decent community support and starts up in only about two seconds here with a good few addons installed.

in order to make it work for me i had to invest a lot of time however and basically throw out all the hotkeys and change the interaction model completely. massive, massive turn off right there. if you like me prefer context/pie menus and a select few hotkeys over digging around in the interface or pressing obscure key combos then i recommend looking at the pie menu editor addon. like, recommend in capital, bold, fontsize +5 letters. ;)

i also think that in terms of toolset 3ds max still has the upper hand when it comes to pure mesh modeling and control over triangulation and normals (and some other things) but i find that for my type of work all the good stuff i actually need on a day to day basis is in blender and on top of that the workflow is just superior and easily customizable with a bit of simple python. so there's that.
    and yes, blender has it's dirty corners as well, like the rest of them.

• Madwish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Regarding commercial work in Triple A studios, keep in mind Blender is free to use and doesn't even need to be installed on the computer. Blender is technically the only 3D package you can use absolutely anywhere. You don't even have to ask IT for the admin rights, all you have to do is download the small zip and you're good to go.

As a result Blender is used by some people in the industry, even though the studio are working primarily in Max or Maya. It doesn't happen very often for sure, but I've seen environment artists and VFX artists use Blender in triple A production from time to time. I myself have switched to Blender fully. I have Max and Maya at work, but I spend most of my time on Blender. As someone said above, once you learn the hotkeys it's an amazing tool.

I do agree that it lacks some visibility from massive artists like Modo would have with Tor Frick for instance. Maybe that will come in the future as more people start using it. :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Funcom used Blender primarily for modeling on a Lego game they did some time ago. I remember reading about a conference they did on using Blender for game art, but it's a bit vague in my memory. Maybe someone can exhume some links.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Mmaxx also uses blender, and works in the industry:

http://mmaaxx.artstation.com/

He has some great youtube videos of himself working in blender:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Fu3r82/videos

• myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Mant1k0re said:
    I think Funcom used Blender primarily for modeling on a Lego game they did some time ago. I remember reading about a conference they did on using Blender for game art, but it's a bit vague in my memory. Maybe someone can exhume some links.
    not sure but maybe you mean the talk from Aidy Burrows?

Blender in a triple A Game Studio-
    Aidy Burrows
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iG7BHAUIwg

• Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    I use Blender for rigging and animation, currently as the animator for STRAFE®. It's for the same reasons Pior mentions, it allows me to be so much more efficient with anything I do in it (modelling, rigging, weight painting, animation). Also I'm a sucker for open source projects and it's hard to say no to 0€ monthly expenses or licensing issues. Despite that I'm happy to financially support Blender.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I switched to Blender years ago (loved Silo but development in that stopped so I tried to make Blender function like it) and have used it at the studios I've worked at too. Maya was the main tool used in the studios, but using Blender up until the point of having the characters skinned wasn't a problem. There were actually a couple of requests for Blender tutorials so artists in house or the outsourcers could use some particular features.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Mmaxx also uses blender, and works in the industry:

http://mmaaxx.artstation.com/

He has some great youtube videos of himself working in blender:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Fu3r82/videos

Yeah um... he doesn't use blender professionally(When he's in FromSoftware's office, he uses 3ds max)
    I asked him.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I've added Blender to my arsenal earlier this year. I use it mostly for polymodeling ornamental stuff like carved details and elements. It's quicker, more fluid and has some better tools for this then 3ds max in my opinion.

This is the video that convinced me to give it a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yrNJVfObAE

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @myclay, yes I guess that's what I had in mind, I don't know why I associated it to Funcom... 

Edit: now I remember why...

@Steppenwolf, cool video. It's especially interesting to see examples from pro artists not focusing on character art, it seems more common. Would love to see more enviro stuff.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Wouldn't say i'm good but it's the only tool i've used in the past decade.  The only thing to fear about Blender is like every other suite - the possible regressions that could affect workflow and pipelines. like 2.67's busting of texture painting that kept me on 2.66a for the longest time, and 2.5's launch of the new UI causing a relearning, with only outdated 2.3x era docs going around.

and as for knowing good blender 3d artists for games, that's a toughie for me because most Blender communities host people that want to make a big cgi movie without any tips/help for game modeling. :(
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know if I'm good enough, but I use it.
    I had the opportunity to work as character artist with Blender on serious project's too, one of the latest is Dark Souls 3.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRAFE® lead artist checking in: While I recognise we don't exactly serve as an example of AAA, I've worked on those games in the past using Max, and would have no qualms about taking on the same projects now that I use Blender.
    One of the reasons I chose it over other packages was because they weren't afraid to throw away code and start over, as they did on the 2.5 UI, and as they will do on the 2.8 viewport project.
    While using Max every version after 2009-ish was dissapointing, and I saw the writing on the wall in terms of future development. I considered XSI, but then (in hindsight) gladly decided against it when Autodesk bought it right as I was demoing it. Modo was an option, and I still follow their development closely and would recommend it to anyone, but: I just got along with Blender better.
  • Voidspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidspawn polycounter lvl 5
    Midair Art Lead here, been using Blender for ~3 years now. While I don't have much experience with any other modern modeling package, it would definitely seem like Blender allows me to be as, if not more, fast and efficient as any other tool. Both on its own in rapid blockout or high poly hard surface modeling as well as in conjunction with ZBrush, Blender suits my needs excellently. As with any software, customizing it to your needs will greatly increase your efficiency. And echoing what always gets said in these types of threads; to each their own. There's quite a few programs capable enough to be used in game production. I would count Blender among them. 
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really awesome stuff guys! It's very cool to see where Blender is being used. I definitely am trying out.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing to consider that wasn't mentioned here and that I remembered today (it's been 2 years since I did some serious modeling work in Blender, but one of the comments in this thread made me realize I could, in fact, install and use Blender at work... thanks a lot for this), is that FBX support can be wonky and is apparently not going to be developed further. It's a bit of a pain when your target game engine only works with FBX... 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lights and cameras might be a little bit wonky but I've never had problems with the newer FBX exporter and skeletal meshes and animations, besides it being kind of slow because it's in Python.
  • TCarneiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TCarneiro polycounter lvl 5
    Have you seen the blender artist forum? I think you will find every answer you need in there....
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    Mant1k0re said:
    [...] is that FBX support can be wonky and is apparently not going to be developed further. It's a bit of a pain when your target game engine only works with FBX... 

It was a rant, that's all.
    The guy wanted to point out the Autodesk policy about this format.
     Actually FBX support in Blender is pretty good and the support for this format is still there.

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the risk of putting words in his mouth, the part Bastien most doesn't want to maintain is compatibility workarounds for individual other applications' partially broken implementations. FBX pipeline works great with Unreal and Unity, and that's really all I need personally. You just have to remember to uncheck Apply Modifiers if your rig has blend shapes.

The FBX plugin is probably not going to have serious issues remain unfixed.
  • myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    @JedTheKrampus
    that is how I understood it too and Bastien had written this;

I’m still maintaining current FBX add-on, and will keep doing this.
    Further more, I’m obviously available to help anyone who would like to
    work on this format, to get started with current code (which is
    everything but nice and simple), etc.

https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2016-February/046710.html

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for setting the record straight on FBX development, that's very reassuring. Now for the bugs, I've had random issues with my UVs upon exporting FBX to Unreal, but it's just that, random. It would go away by doing nothing else than exporting again and could not be reproduced.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    If you have FBX bugs get a repro and file a nice bug, I did two this week and got replys in hours. One of them probably wasn't a blender bug (I want custom frame rate from blender to unity but nothing else supports it either) but another was and got fixed the same day by mont29. Was impressed how quick it happened. The fbx exporter is python so I could just copy the official fix in to my local build.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Patrick Sutton, he is pretty Beast and the guy you go to, to know things,
    He only uses Blender sometimes from what I recall but he is beast never the less.

here is his portfolio:
    http://www.patricksutton3d.com/
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    You probably don't see so many game artists use Blender because studios want to stick to their pipelines and keep the variety software used to a minimum.
    In that case I guess the artist will just switch to use whatever the studio requires even though they might personally prefer Blender.

I don't have 100 followers and only limited experience with other 3D software, but with Blender you are able to deal with nearly everything necessary for 3d game art and more.
    Blender is "big". Once I was looking for a cheap or free tool for video editing without any luck and finally figured out I could do all the stuff directly in Blender. Other parts, like the game engine, i will most likely never use in Blender, but they might be useful to others.
    Unlike most people I actually love the UI and shortcuts and would like to see some of that in other programs too. There are for sure lots of areas that need improvement, but that's the case with all complex software.

Blender has a lot of free addons available as well, though some are not maintained and it can happen they wont run after an update.