Home General Discussion

Question about aiming for a company in terms of artstyle

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
I had the pleasure of being at IFCC last week and being able to ask that question to some people who have been in the industry for a while and people who haven't to get their take on that. I've also tried to contact some people working there and haven't had a reply as of yet.

To elaborate, I'm aiming for the company Dontnod as a 3D Character Artist. A long term goal as to say but I'm also looking for other companies , but everyone has their little dream goals like Blizzard/Riot etc.

When researching them , I've noticed that the artstyle in 'Remember Me' is on a completely different spectrum than 'Life is Strange' for example and when catering a portfolio towards such a company , what art style is exactly sought after?  The employees working there as Character Artists have a portfolio of realistic 3D Characters but they also haven't been updated very regularly. I remember Gavin saying something along the lines when they look for a candidate , they want someone who is flexible ( In a talk , I forgot which one it was , maybe Pixologic ) .

Could that be the case here as well or rather THIS or THAT style.

I hope my blabbering makes some sense.

Cheers!

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I don't think studios expect you to precisely match their style in your portfolio; that's what art tests are for. If as studio does mostly hand-painted, stylized work, you should send them a portfolio of hand-painted, stylized work, but it doesn't have to be stylized in exactly the same way.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    As I have conjectured from a recent situation, if you hit the marks of:

1) You have stuff that is immediately relevant
    2) You have other stuff that says you can do other things

You're in the running.  1 is most important, since that's priority.  2 is just a stretch "just incase" situation.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Thanks for the replies guys.

In conclusion I'm guessing I'd have to have a mixed bag of stylized/realistic as both seems relevant at this point.
  • LeeCurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeCurt polycounter lvl 2
    IMO, as long as you demonstrate your skills as a character artist, I think for a company like Dontnod the artstyle doesn't matter that much.

However, if you have a portfolio full of characters matching your favorite artstyle, it could be a smart move to just have one bust or two showing that you can do other things. It should be enough and it's less time consuming.

I'm not a character artist at all, that was just my 2cts :)