Home General Discussion

Best displays

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Prophet polycounter lvl 11
It's always a tricky thing to get a new display. Even when sometimes I got 2 displays of the same brand, same model, the colors are completely different and trying to calibrate it's a hell.

So, my question is, right now what is for you the best displays in the market for around a maximum of $400?

Also, which software do you use to calibrate the monitor? 

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I think it's a safe bet to say argyll + dispcalgui is the best calibration software.

The dell ultrasharps are pretty good, they come pre-calibrated from factory surprisingly well. Some say they have backlight bleed, which they kind of do, but I don't even notice it. 
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10

tn for fast gaming monitor and as a fan of all things stereo: active shutter 3d surround...
    IPS for color accuracy...
    QHD on 3 27 inch displays for dense pixel resolution detail at desktop distances

:s
    Till now????
    from New Egg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSUMZISSDNXR-_-24-236-405-_-Product

ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560X1440 ( !> ) IPS,( <! this cant be right?? ), 144 Hz 1mx(GTG) NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitor with Exclusive GamePlus onscreen timer/crosshair, Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, Height Adjustable

ROG SWIFT PG278Q

ROG SWIFT PG278Q
    Forged for Gaming Perfection: The World's First WQHD G-SYNC Monitor With Rapid 144Hz Refresh Rate And 1ms Response Time

Crisp 27-inch, 2560 x 1440 visuals combined with fast 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, made smooth by NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology
    Exclusive GamePlus onscreen timer/crosshair, 60-120-144Hz refresh rate turbo key and intuitive 5-way OSD navigation joystick
    Complete ergonomic tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustment with VESA mount capability for optimal placement
    1ms    NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ ReadyNVIDIA 3D Vision ReadyNVIDIAUltra Low Motion Blur TechnologyNVIDIAG-SYNC

normally $899.99

now: $689.99

Save: $210.00 (23%)  

$2.99 Shipping

Now all I need is the $5000 dollar price shock on the Dell OLED monitor tech to drop in price and migrate it's way into all those bullet points? :)
    Right?
    :( WRONG?!! I saw this earlier today and got excited for nothing. From what I can gather...
    The IPS listing in the title must be a typo! This is the same TN ROG Swift that has been in production :s

which at least explains what at first seemed like a real sale price.
    On the bright side. This monitor has issues reported by a lot of customers when trying to use 3dVision with SLI. And I replace my tri SLI this week when my single GTX 1080 arrives.

The QHD Swift that supports color accurate "in plane switching" is the PG27AQ model.

but the reponse speed slows down to 4m.

( which I suppose is what makes the active shutter tech a no go fer now? )

apparently I can't  have my cake and eat it yet. But I suppose that as an "investment" with such a steep price point, one might as well wait fer:

•  the completely "switched off" rich blacks of OLED and WCG/HDR's vastly expanded 10bit color range, vastly expanded contrast ratio, and insane nit levels of brightness ( we are the knights that choose superior nit technology! known as nitpicking! that is my nit wit! Which is coincidental considering I have been called as much for years ) to make it's way down to reasonable affordable to complete out the whole collection of sexy display pronz.
    • Considering the dizzying speed  that so many events and progress seems to be unfolding pretty quickly as of late? It would probably be a good time to wait??
    • Wait for HDR affordability. wait for OLED affordability. Wait for Fast 120hz+ 4K rates. Wait for price drops. Otherwise. Has anyone tried to use one of them gorgeous LG OLEDs as a computer monitor. Everytime I use my Galaxy s7 Edge I literal drool for dem sharp rich blacks on my work kit.

( if God intended us to game on a single monitor he wouldn't of gave us peripheral vision )

• Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, thats the thing. I have a Galaxy S7-Edge as well and everytime I go back to a "normal" monitor its really annoying to see all of this dull colors and all the pixels. :|
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    PG278Q is the TN version. Then they lie with the discount, as its always that price. With the 9 at the end is the IPS version.
    I have 2x the IPS one and its great. I probably got lucky with the IPS glow, because both are very low on glow, but colors and contrast are on par with the professional 4K IPS LG monitor I had, so its amazing for gaming and working. Also the build quality is astonishing but they really are expensive.

Pro tip: You can get the MG279Q, the same model just without GSYNC and with FREESYNC for a lot lower price, and they apparently have slightly better colors even. Around 580$ compared to 900 for the PG

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no pro here, but I had picked up a LG 29UM57 during a sale. 8 months now and I haven't actually calibrated it. The colors are still bright and sharp, and seem just fine, but that could be my bias, since I haven't thought about it until now. hmm.

Kinda OT but whatever. Why do store displays always seem to make sure the demo units always look like shit? When they're not playing a tiny video on a big screen, the screens are always super blurry, somehow have color fringing or are just dim. I'd think it was a kid trolling, but it's like that in every store I've been in, every time.
  • Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no pro here, but I had picked up a LG 29UM57 during a sale.
    And how do you feel about the 21:9 ratio? At work I have 3 monitors and the thing I like is that I can have them at a certain angle, which with a single 21:9 display is impossible.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet said:
    I'm no pro here, but I had picked up a LG 29UM57 during a sale.
    And how do you feel about the 21:9 ratio? At work I have 3 monitors and the thing I like is that I can have them at a certain angle, which with a single 21:9 display is impossible.
    I'm on the fence. It's a little too wide to bring in more 21:9's on the sides, and not quiiite tall enough, but still comfortable. If it was physically larger and IPS I think it would be perfect. I have a decent-ish 4:3 on the left, but I find that I'm rarely using it or even turn it on. But I don't like craning my neck around all that much, so chalk that off to personal preference. But yeah, if you wanted to curve and or keep one vertical, I'd stick with 3x16:9.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    PG278Q is the TN version. Then they lie with the discount, as its always that price. With the 9 at the end is the IPS version.
    I have 2x the IPS one and its great. I probably got lucky with the IPS glow, because both are very low on glow, but colors and contrast are on par with the professional 4K IPS LG monitor I had, so its amazing for gaming and working. Also the build quality is astonishing but they really are expensive.

Pro tip: You can get the MG279Q, the same model just without GSYNC and with FREESYNC for a lot lower price, and they apparently have slightly better colors even. Around 580$ compared to 900 for the PG

ASUS posted the serial number ranges of those units suffering the glow on the PCDIY.asus.com site along with some recall info: ( they also made a pledge to up their QC )

This one-time exchange program is open only to customers who purchased the ROG Swift PG279Q in North America, and it’s limited to models from the initial batches. Units with the following serial numbers are eligible:

F9LMQS064281 to F9LMQS066024
    F9LMQS085294 to F9LMQS085313
    FALMQS088716 to FALMQS089177

Customers who want to exchange a qualifying display can contact us directly at customerloyalty@asus.com. Proof of ownership is required, so please include a clear photo of the serial number, which is located under the front edge of the display. Replacement units can be cross-shipped under ASUS’ Rapid Replacement program.

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    43 inch 4k monitor from dell, that can split into 4 1080p individual screens. multiple monitors are soooooo 2000 and late.
    http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-43-ultra-hd-4k-multi-client-monitor/
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    43 inch 4k monitor from dell, that can split into 4 1080p individual screens. multiple monitors are soooooo 2000 and late.
    http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-43-ultra-hd-4k-multi-client-monitor/

game in surround/eyefinity in horizontal because peripheral is more immersive ( now even more so with correct projection hardware level architecture of pascal )
    But even prefer 16:9 3 monitor surround/eyefinity vert setup for workspace compared to the quadrant setup in the Dell. Particularly for the Doc/Reference and coding screens which give you longer screen real estate compared to horizontal space necessitating scrolling up and down and up and down.
    vesa monitor arms like my Peerless aren't needed as much since many monitor stands are starting to include hor/vert stands.

Best of both worlds: Gaming/WorkStation.

However, sRGB might be so 2000 soon because of HDR monitors and Dell rolling out the first OLED computer monitor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Vqbi71Lek

$5000 dollars tho. ouch!

On the other hand...
    Dells OLED was so CES 2016 but Computex is happening now!
    Has anyone scoured the internet for news hopefully from competitors?

LG releases cheaper OLED 4K TVs

And they support both HDR formats