Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mk-2 Low Poly Grenade

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MediumSolid polycounter lvl 8
Hi there, I just wanted to show you people a model I was working on with Blender and for the first time with Substance Painter 2, so don't expect anything fancy. Basically what I want is your hardcore critics, is the poly count optimal for video games. Note that I am aware once a player throws a grenade a different prefab with much lower poly count and texture size will take it's place. 

The model itself has 2.7k triangles and 1.4 vertices. I also assume you guys would like to see UV texture map and the high poly version, am I right?

model

Replies

• Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Looks very much like the MK2 Grenade from Tim Bergholz's tutorial (ChamferZone) 

Materials - It isn't too worn down which makes it look practical and "current issue" rather than a really old surplus grenade. One thing that does bug me are the fingerprints on the spoon. I find they are a little too evident. They should be faded out a little around a few edges etc. Right now they are perfect fingerprints which just doesn't strike as "real" to me. It looks like someone had just eaten a really oily pizza and thought it would be cool to make fingerprints on a grenade. 

Modeling - As for accuracy. According to this image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/MkII_07.JPG the "square" shrapnel sections on the body of the grenade could of been beveled although that would of increased your polycount it would make a softer looking and perhaps more accurate looking grenade. 

Overall I really like it if it were mine I would be satisfied with the result. 

PS: I would like to see the high res and texture sheets. 
  • MediumSolid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was never supposed to look too worn down, I don't like it when people exaggerate with worn down detail. But hey, that's just my opinion. Yes of course, the fingerprint could have been a little less obvious that is a major flaw in this texture, and pizza comment is just way too funny. I didn't want to go with beveling the edges of the shrapnel because of exact reason you have mentioned and I wasn't really striding for super realism here, this is a PBR model. If I were making this for a Cycles or BI render I would then stick to a high poly version of the grenade and that way would get a more realistic representation of the real thing. And I haven't modeled this grenade because I stumbled upon Tim Bergholz's tutorial, I've actually modeled this years ago, and when I saw the tutorial I decided to give SP2 a go since I already had a similar model, this grenade is a different variation of the MK-2 grenade from one in his tutorial. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate the critic. You are right for many things, but as you can see I'm very stubborn and I tend to defend my models even though I asked for a harsh critic. I'm surprised how you didn't notice how the ring between the body and the fuze isn't red as it is in real life, that is actually a mistery to me since it was painted red in SP2 and the textures do contain red information on the UV part of the object as you'll see in the texture sheets.

Here's the HP model and also the texture sheets:

• Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    I did notice that the ring wasn't red although I didn't mention it in my critique since I had a look at various reference images and noticed that not all of them had that section in red. And don't worry about being stubborn about criticism or the fact you defend your artwork. It is natural we all feel "attached" to our art considering how much time and effort we put into each piece. The trick is to look at criticism positively so you can use it to learn and improve your artwork. Nice to see another Blender user on here. :smiley:
  • MediumSolid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surprisingly I've actually noticed that there is a substantial amount of blender users here. Blender sure has stepped up it's game for the past 5-6 years but it still has a long way to to.