Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel 2016 - Feedback Much Appreciated

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
13randO polycounter lvl 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhertpGZ14Y  Hey guys. I've finished editing my reel and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it, considering that I'm using it to apply to studios around me. Is the editing ok? Do some of the pieces still need more work? Is the length good, or should I add more? Am I asking too many questions? I'm probably asking too many questions.  With this almost done, I'm stoked to jump into the character highlight shot challenge. All feedback is appreciated and thank you for your time. :D   

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, Brandon. Cool stuff.

Some stuff I noticed is that the dog's walk cycle has some issues with legs. Mainly that, the front paws pick up after the hind legs have planted. They should pick up as the hind legs come forward but before they fully plant. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mXzH7nATps

Also, for the dog walk, avoid the hind legs from becoming too straight when they plant. Try to keep the shape you have when they're coming forward. The zig zag type shape.

I think the tail could be more dynamic for the dog run.

Cool stuff, keep us updated. Good luck with the job search! :)
  • 13randO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much, Abid! With your critique, I tweaked the wolf's walk and run cycle. Much appreciated. :smile: 
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, better. Just a quick note, for the dog run, bring the hips down more when the chest is up as he is about to leap, it will help get a bend in the hind legs, right now they're too straight. Try to always keep a slight bend with IK legs, its too easy for them to pop.
  • 13randO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much appreciated. I playblasted the dog run again to use what you suggested. :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz_i49sm9f4
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, it does get straight but I actually don't feel the pop so its fine. I would probably get rid of the top view of the run, its not really showing anything and the tail seems to be a bit stiff, so just cut it.
  • Snollygoster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snollygoster vertex
    It feels like the first scene is a tad too even when it comes to expressions and it sometimes doesn't align with what you want to convey. You need to check timing with the dialog you're using. Also, regarding the dog walk cycle, there's an issue with the legs, especially the back legs since they seem to be tripping a little bit, the movement over all feels like the dog is limiting it's own steps since there's no carrying over the movement of the limbs once it finishes the "bringing forward" movement, it just stops. You need to finish those movements more naturally. I would say to check once again your reference for that, even if the nature of the character makes the walk stylized, there's some stuff that needs to carry over your final piece.