Home Unreal Engine

Blending Normal Maps With Multiple UV-Layouts

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Maecaune polycounter lvl 6
Hi there.
  I am currently experimenting with multiple uv-layouts. I wanted to add topology on one channel and detail maps on another channel. But I can't get it working properly because all normal maps are oriented always by channel 0 in Unreal 4.

I created a test to properly show my issue.

Here you can see, that I have one normal map. In my uv-layout (channel 0) I rotated it multiple times and bended it ones:

On the left is "channel 0" and on the right is "channel 1":

Here ( right now only "channel 0" is used ) you can see, that the reflection is off already because the normal map is rotated ( 180° in this case ):

If I now add a detailmap to "channel 0" it obviously looks broken, but the normal maps are all properly lit:

So I change the layout of the detail-map to "channel 1". If you take a closer look you already can see something is off.

If you take a closer look every normal map "looks" into a different direction.

The texture itself is properly aligned to "channel 1" - but the normal-color is ALWAYS adjusted to "channel 0".

Is there a way to tell the normalmap to orient itself to a specific channel?

I want to have the "topology-normal-map" aligned to "channel 0". All other textures like "normal-map-details", metallic, roughness should be completely aligned to channel 1/2/3 and so on.

Thanks for any help :smile: .

Replies