Home Technical Talk

Modelling Buildings with Interior (Question)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Elri polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, 

I have a question, I'm somewhat sufficient at 3D modelling individual items and architectural assets but I struggle with modelling entire buildings with usable interiors.

My question is, what is the best way to go about this? I am modelling with the intent to import into UE4.

I would be very interested to hear about your workflows/pipelines for creating entire buildings.

Thanks so much,
Elri

Replies

• MephistonX
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    I would say block out the building in UE4 first, put a throw in a fps character, and run around. Make sure the scale feels right, is there enough room to fit through the doors, when you jump does your head hit the ceiling. 

Work and adjust the block out until your comfortable, you should get to a point where you find you are happy with the height and width of things, doors, walls, paths, stairs etc...

Then export the meshes into your modelling application and use them to build around. But make sure to re-visit UE4 often with your updated meshes to ensure the scale feels consistent. 

Sometimes doing everything to real world scale can feel slightly claustrophobic in engine, which is why its good to test these things.

• Eric Chadwick
  • Eric Chadwick
    No, thank you for the great post! At first I thought the pics were yours, but then I remembered seeing them somewhere. Thiago and Victor deserve the credits for their great work.