Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Voice acting in Progress, PLEASE I need your thoughts!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Next portfolio piece (I hope). Your thoughts?

Here's the intial blocking:

https://youtu.be/jZZPH8fUpuM

And here's my current progress:

https://youtu.be/U9h6EiWLUY8

Am I on good track? Are the acting choices okay? Some people said she was a little bit static and it's true but in my reference, I didn't move a lot?

Is it a good piece for my reel?

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Well, is still in process and I don't find it static , maybe in some movements she need a better arc like when she said "find them" she goes back and forward very robotic , but like I said this is still in process.  Maybe in that movement she will go back then a little down and then a little up , just very subtle like doing a U shape. To keep track of that I suggest you use the motion trail in Maya (maybe you already know but I just wanted to point it out :))

Other note would be to place his eyes because I don't know if she will talk to other "people" around second 3 , it seems like she is focusing to the left <-- and I don't know about the ending, are you going to place like something that is trying to get up? that was my impression.

Keep going!,I really like the piece and it would be a nice one on your reel :)
    Very nice work !

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you Arthur! Indeed, the last piece is still in blocking phase! Thank you for the comments, I havent touched the facials yet!
    You give me hope for the rest! :D
  • Snollygoster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snollygoster vertex
    I'm loving the voice acting. It feels fitting and adds a lot of personality to the character!!! On the animation side though, I can see that the mouth can't really keep track with the dialog. Body movement is solid but at the end when she joins her hands there's a clipping issue. Other than that you did a great job (and I would also like to know a little bit about your audio set up!)
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Hey thanks for your insight! I am currently working on the ending part (it was still in blocking)!

Lip sync nor facials havent been touched yet so it's still blocky. One of my friends felt she didnt seem natural enough so I'm correcting some gestures here and there!

For the audio set up, I'm not sure what I can tell you here..:D

You take an audio, make a few references from it, pick the one you prefer the most and block things out from there.
    Then you start splining, while adding your own knowledge to the stuff (exageration, timing, poses,etc.)

There's a lot of things that have changed in terms of acting, pacing since my ref but that's part of what makes it interesting. References should just give you an idea or a headstart to quickly block things out.

Hope I helped you! :)

Edit: Welp, acording to my animator friend, the acting is not working and not fitting with the audio. He suggest I stop and move on another work...Been spending one week on this..-_-
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E9gUyXn6J8&amp;feature=youtu.be

welps, here it is!

I' d like to hear your thoughts? What do you tihnk could be improved for my next animations? I think my biggest flaw in this one is the lip sync (but that's mostly because the mouth controllers are garbage in this rig.) It's incredibly hard to get the mouth shapes correctly.

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Such an awesome piece , lovely arcs!

Some notes that may help in the future. I personally think that is better to just keep animating and not get too much into fixing in a shot ( by too much I mean expend like a month on it) :) for learning purposes of course ( I may be so wrong about this hahah ) but If you are doing it for a reel purpose of course expend all the time you need!

- His pinky finger ---> is ghosting in his hand ( not a big deal haha ) just being really picky right here. Just go frame by frame with your next animations and try to find weird things/mistakes that your eyes cannot see anymore because you got a lot time watching the same movement over and over. Or take 1-2 days and go back to it.
    - In the Happy ones too his eyebrows are a straight line ----- , maybe try to match his mouth shape just to avoid that or any other shape :) ( not that is bad , but I find it weird hehe)
    - When closing his eyes make the eyelids go first and then the eyebrows ( if you act it , it will feel weird lowering your eyelids and then closing your eyes :P). I treat them like a little overlap ( just subtle things)
    - In deep inside , his right hand makes a rare rotation like it hit something and rotate. maybe go for the half of the rotation or something ( I am not really sure about this one LOL sorry)
    - In the traveling to "find them" his ---> eye opens in 1 frame ( like in point 1 , just go frame by frame and see errors :) )
    - I don't know if you wanted to take his sight to look away around second 11 , if not just ignore this haha. A tip I do when I want to focus 1 object outside of the shot is to place a cube and just treat it like a person/object of focus and then just tweak the animation of the eyes from the camera perspective.

Like always , this is just my opinion. Just take what it helps you :)

Awesome work Blond , keep up the good work!

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    @Arturow

Glad to see you enjoy the work. Also, I coudn't ask for a better critique. Very constructive and helpful. I might even correct some of them in due time!

Thanks a lot. It's really appreciated!

• EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 8
    When she bends down at around 9 seconds, you might want to turn her head slightly toward the camera so it's not straight up to the side. I really like the end when she goes ''Find theeeeem!'', it's really cool.