Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4Gb?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Hey my file is at 3,6 GB right now should i worry about it when my file is 4 GB?

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You're probably increasing your chances of either running into a corrupt file or unstable performance. 

I'm guessing you're saving a project file in order to get a file that large - do you actually need the project or just the 3d tool? The project will rapidly bloat the file size with extra data that you may not even need such as the entire undo history and every tool that you had opened, regardless if you're actually using them or not. 
    Saving the 3d tool on the other hand will just save your current sculpt. A tool with around 53 million points, polypaint and uvs would only sit around 600mb 
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    cryrid said:
    You're probably increasing your chances of either running into a corrupt file or unstable performance. 

I'm guessing you're saving a project file in order to get a file that large - do you actually need the project or just the 3d tool? The project will rapidly bloat the file size with extra data that you may not even need such as the entire undo history and every tool that you had opened, regardless if you're actually using them or not. 
    Saving the 3d tool on the other hand will just save your current sculpt. A tool with around 53 million points, polypaint and uvs would only sit around 600mb 
    Nope I'm using a ztl file I'm getting pretty high up in the polycount haha but thanks for the answer.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Delete morph targets and bake layers might help.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    kanga said:
    Delete morph targets and bake layers might help.
    Yes did that together with deleting some sdvis file is a lot smaller now thanks.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I have a character going in ZB atm. The prg file is 1.89 Gig (no history) and the tool is 799Mb. So a couple of gigs is kind of normal for a project.