Home Technical Talk

Anyone noticed VertexSnapping bug [3dsmax 2017]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
micropolius polycounter lvl 3
Hi there,
Has anyone noticed the vertex snapping bug in 3dsmax 2017?
I am unable to snap my pivot to a specific vertex. This is highly annoying. Does anyone know a solution or alternative for this?

many thanks.

Replies

• T.Bull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T.Bull polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, it's annoying. Snapping is bugged when your mesh is an editable poly, but will work on other meshes or if you turned your mesh into an Editable Mesh.
  • micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    micropolius polycounter lvl 3
    T.Bull said:
    Yes, it's annoying. Snapping is bugged when your mesh is an editable poly, but will work on other meshes or if you turned your mesh into an Editable Mesh.
    Genius! Many thanks, u saved the day!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've run into that issue. Normally it happens on "dirty meshes" that have long complicated transform histories with wonky scale. That doesn't excuse the fact that 3dsmax snapping should work in all cases at all times but there are a few things you can do to get it fuctional again.

Instead of switching to editable mesh, which can be a pain just to snap something. You can try collapsing the stack and if that fails...

Go into the hierarchy tab and reset scale. Most of the snapping problems that I run into are because the object (not sub objects) were non-uniformly scaled. I mostly avoid this now because I scale sub-objects (verts, polys, elements) not the actual object itself.

You can also reset xform (the utility not the modifier). But be careful it will reorient the local pivot of your object to match the scene, which in most cases people don't care about the local pivot, but it is something to keep in mind, there are a lot of useful workflows that make extensive use of it.

If that fails you can create a box, apply edit poly, attach your old mesh and then delete the box element. It basically stuffs your old geometry into a new object but leaves the twisted history behind.

Good luck, I hope they actually get it to work as intended. Maybe the 12th attempt will work, or it could just break it more, you never know with autodesk...