Home General Discussion

Man steals $320K from Kickstarter campaign

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
and builds himself a house with it...

So the Campaign Goal was to build and developp a series of 100$ cheap 3D printer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wy3zA3LxG4&feature=youtu.be&t=116

What an ass..Apprently, his partner wasn't aware of it and the whole swindle...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/12/11663270/peachy-printer-kickstarter-theft

''A Kickstarter campaign that raised more than 651,000 Canadian dollars ($632,000) in late 2013 for a $100 3D printer is now broke, allegedly because the project's co-founder stole more than CA$320,000 of backer contributions to build a house for himself.

In the video, which can be seen above, Grayston asked Peachy Printer co-founder David Boe — who invested the initial $10,000 Peachy Printer needed to get started in 2013 — about what he did with more than CA$250,000 worth of backer contributions.

"I'm sorry, but I went and spent approximately $250,000 of our Kickstarter money on building my house," Boe said. In the video, Grayson said his company later determined that Boe actually stole more than CA$320,000.''

Aaah..the downside of crowdfunding...Now, how will the people who funded get their money back?

Hope they will file the hell out of this douche..

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Karma says his house falls on his head.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    I can't believe he thought it was a good idea to put the money in his partners personal checking account...
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Probably one of the culprits for making Paypal deciding to cancel its crowdfund protection http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/09/paypal-pulls-buyer-protection-for-crowdfunding-sites.html
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    I heard the other day that Paypal wont refund crowdfunded projects now. So there is almost zero recourse or accountability for this so it should come as no surprise. People aren't gonna mount a legal suit which costs more than their original donation.

Considering how many scam or failed Kickstarters there are i'm surprised it still has a reasonable rep, Sealark, Yogventures, Mighty No. 9 
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Paznos said:
    I heard the other day that Paypal wont refund crowdfunded projects now. So there is almost zero recourse or accountability for this so it should come as no surprise. People aren't gonna mount a legal suit which costs more than their original donation.

Considering how many scam or failed Kickstarters there are i'm surprised it still has a reasonable rep, Sealark, Yogventures, Mighty No. 9 

To be fair, Sealark had only 59,000 usd. That would be two years living expenses for a person. If you needed to hire two people that would quickly go within a year. 

Yogventures and Mighty No. 9 and this project had way much more money.

The creator of Sealark was good at pixel art and she did continue to release art until her money ran out. 
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    pangaea said:
    Paznos said:

To be fair, Sealark had only 59,000 usd. That would be two years living expenses for a person. If you needed to hire two people that would quickly go within a year. 

Yogventures and Mighty No. 9 and this project had way much more money.

The creator of Sealark was good at pixel art and she did continue to release art until her money ran out. 
    Well, that varies from person to person. I could last 7 years on that easily. Someone living in California probably wouldn't last 1.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Backers should just organize for a class action lawsuit.  The guy who positions himself to be the honest one says it affected his business for 18 months.  That's like 2 taxable years.  Did he/they not have accountants to red flag fraud that was happening during that time.  And this same guy promises to continue with the project, I interpreted that as zero refunds.  They still keep the money, laundered or not.
  • heyeye
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    History repeating itself